The Tennis Thread

• Members

Hurkacz was serving incredibly. He probably would have been any other player.

Eubanks with the break in the fifth set!

If Eubanks takes it, he’ll play Medvedev, a winnable match for him on grass.

Edit: He did it! Stefanos was lucky to get this far. If that Murray match hadn’t been suspended and continued the next day, he probably would have lost, as Murray had all the momentum. Eubanks can definitely take Medvedev. He might even have a road to the final, but Alcaraz or especially Berrettini (who seems back in form) would be huge challenges, no doubt.

Edited by Faulkner

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This article is backing up my point that tennis, unlike other industries could use a bit more AI, especially the intelligence part as the lines judges at Wimbledon are not making good calls. I only saw parts of Venus’ first round match so I didn’t realize that a bad call essentially cost her the match, but this isn’t the first or even second time bad calls cost her a match at Wimbledon.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/10/sports/tennis/wimbledon-line-judges-hawkeye.html

• Members

No disrespect to Swiatek but Svitolina played Iga the way I had been thinking that the other WTA players should’ve been playing her, the way most players used to play the #1s, put her game under consistent pressure and see if it gives way, and in this case it did, to the point that Swiatek was making errors, seemingly out of nowhere at times. Serena used to proclaim that when players faced off against her, everyone brought their best game against her. I got the sense, at times that this wasn’t the case in some matches against Swiatek. I don’t know if this was Svitolina’s best (she also made some questionable shots but knew when to clean up her game) but she knew that in the era she started playing professionally, the pressure was usually on the higher ranked player and the challenger played that principle for all its worth.

• Members

I guess the Eubanks fairytale had to realistically end at some point, but still who had him making the quarterfinals, even after his grass-court title? And no doubt his star will rise and $$$$ will be coming in. He’s a great advocate for himself and tennis in America when the sport desperately needs one, especially on the men’s side.

• Members

Eubanks is kind of the story of the tournament - along with Svitolina - similar whether or not she pulls it off.  Ugh with Medvedev - he's so lifeless.  Constant Constipation is playing (that's what I say).  Or dude with perma-lipcurl.  

• Members

Eubanks was noticeably crestfallen at not being able to pull off the victory but when he’s had a few moments to recover and really think about what he’s accomplished this Wimbledon fortnight, I mean his first main draw tournament at Wimbledon to the Quarterfinals, that is quite an achievement, hopefully this spurs him onward.