The Tennis Thread

• Members

I haven't seen it. I have it on DVR. POC? I heard Martina got covid and had to miss it. Wimbledon sure has problems with Covid outbreak this year. I heard Roger was there. Somewhere before the ceremony I'm sure Novak was doing the Susan Lucci redux.

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

POC= Person Of Color.

This morning on the news shows, the only tennis news items that got mentioned were the dust up between Nick Kyrgios and Stefanos Tsitsipas and the return of Roger Federer to the grounds of the All England Club at Wimbledon.

This mornings’ paper had an article in the sports section that only mentioned 4 people in the lede: Roger Federer, Venus and Serena Williams, and Rafael Nadal, asking how much  longer can they play and proposing that perhaps they can play for longer than previously believed. Tennis higher ups are panicking because these are the few players that can sell tickets anywhere they go, regardless of the tournament or location. Someone who worked at the U.S. Open once told me that they “put butts in seats”.

• Members

Wimbledon gets a ratings boost due to Serena Williams.

Serena Williams’ first round Wimbledon loss to Harmony Tan — her first Grand Slam match since suffering an injury in the same round of the same tournament last year — averaged 842,000 viewers over three-plus hours Tuesday afternoon. Viewership peaked at 1.2 million in the final minutes. The full Tuesday telecast averaged 528,000, ranking as the most-watched day two of Wimbledon in five years and the most-watched of the tournament thus far (through Thursday).

• Members

I saw some of the Kyrgios match today - and I felt like I was listening to John McEnroe 5 years ago.  He said something about Nick really concentrating and finally putting all of the complaining and antics to bed.

Yawn, it's been said before any time he acts somewhat normal.  I say just wait until the next round and 'it' will be back.  I don't know if commentators don't remember things like this?  But it's been said so many times in the past when he has somewhat of a 'normal' match.  

• Members

That battle of the German ladies was quite a contest, but man that court looked slow! 

Well dang, I didn’t know about the DV charge that is pending. We will have to see how this flushes out. It’s going to be inter to see how the ATP handles this (or not). I mean, is anyone hearing about Basilashvili these days? Wasn’t he the player who had a DV case in the courts?

EDT: *interesting*. This keypad is not the most intuitive, I tell ya.

• Members

Well not to speculate but I will.  Just because.  Sure would explain his 'good' behavior in the last round. Probably knew the story would break so he needed to look like the mannerly in-control dude rather than the usual short-fuse, bad tempered, anger-issues dude.

• Members

Nick has probably observed from the top players on the ATP tour that winning has allowed them to cover a “multitude of sins” and decided to do ‘in kind’.

John McEnroe hasn’t been on my particular feed but those who do hear his commentary have claimed that he was speaking about Nick’s behavior, which McEnroe should probably not do. Also given his alleged turbulent behavior with his ex-wife Tatum O’Neal, he should really sit out any further comment on Nick’s behavior, or alleged behavior.