Ernests Gulbis LAT 2615 -1 - Lost in US Open R64 - - 14
Juan Martin Del Potro ARG 2365 -1 - - - - 15
Roberto Bautista Agut ESP 1935 +4 - Lost in US Open R16 - - 16
John Isner USA 1925 -1 - Lost in US Open R32 - - 17
Fabio Fognini ITA 1870 - - Lost in US Open R64 - - 18
Gael Monfils FRA 1845 +6 - Lost in US Open QF - - 19
Kevin Anderson RSA 1840 +1 - Lost in US Open R32 - - 20
Feliciano Lopez ESP 1770 +1 -

The top 20 as of now....notice Richard Gasquet is out of the top 20...is 21 now....

• Members

Does anyone think that this will open the floodgates for other players on the Men's side? Or will this be considered a temporary blip? I heard that last time that neither Fed, Rafa, Nolé or Murray were in a Final was the 2005 Oz final between Safin vs. Hewitt. That obviously did not open the floodgates or other players challenging 'The Big 4' but maybe because Safin and Hewitt were veterans and previous Slam winners in their own right, and not 1st timers like Kei and Cilic.

Sometimes these breakthroughs lead to other breakthroughs. Stan Wawrinka's victory didn't seem to change much of the pecking order but 2 first time Finalists perhaps?

What do you think?

• Members

Wow, Kei is 8 now... what was he before? I don't think I looked for a number by his name.

It should. I love Rafa and Fed but I love new blood coming up the ranks. Kei is now on my radar but I love watching Jo, Gael, Tipsarevic and a few more. It is possible to defeat these people and I love when people prove that they can.

• Members

He was 12 in the world ..had he not gotten injured he would have been in the top 10 already IMO...

The one that surprises me is Richard Gasquet...he was stuck at 8 and 9 for the longest time but having average to poor results and lost early in the us open and had lots of points to defend from last year so he dropped out of the top 20...yikes.

Oh as for Kei...he was in the top 10 before he got injured and then dropped out this summer because of injury and not being able to play

• Members

...speaking of players who disrupted the 'Big 4', will we ever seen a healthy Juan Martin de Potro again??

I'm kind of curious as to how Kei's story is going over in China. I know at one time Chang briefly worked with a few Chinese players some years back, don't know what became of that. And I know that China and Japan are in a difficult diplomatic place politically.

Chang is Chinese-American, I know but I'm really curious if his coaching Kei and Kei's success is getting any mention in Chinese media?

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Administrator

New blood is only good if they consistently win - not "one and done" winners. Tennis is much better when you have powerhouses - the big three has been so good for the mens side. That's a reason why the women's side hasn't been that compelling.