3 US soaps return to UK screens

• Members

It might be of interest to some that a new channel named Zone Romantica is launching on Sky from the beginning of September in the UK. It's a supposedly female skewed channel with a very strange sounding lineup including Ally McBeal, Chicago Hope and Snoops - a David E. Kelley deal in other words.

But most interestingly, The Young and the Restless, Days of Our Lives and Guiding Light will also be shown daily about 4 times each. I understand the Sony connection but GL is a really strange choice given its um...modest production values.

For the record Y&R was last seen on the Living Channel around 2000, DOOL disappeared from Five in 2001 and GL hasn't been seen since the days of Sky Soap in 1999.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL I'm guessing it's just random because it wouldn't really be in their interests to start airing it from too long ago. I'd be very surprised if they went back before 2006. What's even more bizarre is the pic they're using for Y&R is the Bug and Danny Romalotti.

• Members

That Pic stirs up dreadful memories. Any time I start to think "Days could be so much better" (which it could, no doubt about it....) I should pull this pic up to remind me of how much worse it could be. Say what you will about the "Touch the Sky" crap, but these four in a pic together reminds me of the Langan era. :o

IMO, that was the worst period in the history of this show. Reilly was astounding in comparison.

• Members

I e-mailed them and got this reply from the press manager:

Thanks for your interest in Zone Romantica’s imminent launch. Two weeks to go, and we’re very excited to be bringing the channel to the UK.

We do plan to show Days of our Lives but we’re not in a position to confirm at what point we’ll be coming in just yet.

We’re still crossing the T’s and dotting the I’s with the programme makers – once that has been completed, we’ll make full details available on our website www.zoneromantica.tv.

• Members

Nothing like leaving it to the last minute. I won't be able to get the channel at its inception but I'm interested to know where they're picking up from.

I too am surprised that B&B hasn't been chosen given its small but loyal following and it's one of the few soaps (along with Sunset Beach) to have a prolonged, relatively successful run on one of the major networks. I guess GL's a great deal cheaper but production level wise I'm amazed any channel over here is willing to touch it. The sets and lighting etc represent every stereotype that British people have about American soaps. If you look at the schedule, you can see that it's treated as the bargain basement soap with much crappier timeslots.

GH got pulled from ABC1 around 2005 I think. From what I read at the times, the numbers were actually very good for the channel but there were politics involved.

• Members

I can see that being a possibility. I think they took GH when the channel launched because it was flashy and mobby and trendier but didn't want the other two. Now the channel consists of constant reruns of 8 Simple Rules, Less than Perfect, Hope and Faith and In Justice. I'm not actually aware of them showing anything else.

• Members

In answer to your question in another thread heatherwebber, zone romantica is a digital satellite channel. Though the other "zone" channels are now on digital cable so I presume this one will be rolled out in the coming months.

Archived