Canadian Soaps

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There have been quite a few.

Strange Paradise(Sort of a Dark Shadows Spin-off),It also featured Bruce Gray. The show aired from 1969-1970 and 195 episodes were made. Repeats air on Drive-In Classics, a Cable channel here in Canada.

Degrassi the most famous one I think! There have been four different series and a TV Movie. Kids of Degrassi Street the first aired from 1982-1986, 16 episodes were made. Degrassi Junior High the second aired from 1987-1989 and 42 episodes were made. Degrassi High the third series aired from 1989-1991, 28 episodes made. The TV movie School's Out aired in 1992. The fourth series started in 2001 and is still airing, 143 episodes have been made so far. I watched two of the series when they aired, but do not watch the current one.

The next is Street Legal it was a prime time soap which aired from 1987-1994, 124 episodes were made. The show was very popular and sometimes drew in 2 million viewers per episode(That is very good for Canadian television lol). Repeats air on the cable network Bravo here in Canada.

Next is Train 48, it aired from 2003 -2005, over 300 episodes were made. It is about a group of people who take Toronto's GO Train home in the evening. I really liked the show at first, but after a while it started getting boring.

Paradise Falls is another one. It has had uneven air dates. The first 52 episodes aired between 2001 and 2002, the next 26 episodes aired in 2004. There is a new season of 26 episodes that will begin airing this winter. With the new season there will be a total of 104 Episodes.

There have been a few more. I might post about them later.

• Members

"Breaker High" could be considered as a teen soap. It was filmed in Vancouver and many of the cast members were Canadians. It aired from 1997-1998 on YTV (in Canada) and UPN. Persia White who played Denise went on to star as "K.C. Burrell" (Toni's younger sister) for the final month of AW and Terri Colombino (Katie, ATWT) played Ashley.

"Student Bodies" is another one from the late 90s. That's where Jennifer Finnigan (ex-Bridget, B&B) got her start. It was filmed in Montreal.

• Members

I love Degrassi: The Next Generation. Its the best thing to come out of Canada. Not saying that Canada is bad because I want to live there someday. Liberty is my favorite character she reminds me of my older sister (except my sister didn't get pregnant.)

I know this is probably a stupid question but it was in hand and hand with "Breaker High". Was "Sweet Valley High" a Canada show? I remember the ads of Breaker High. BH-Be Hot, BH-Be Happening, BH-BREAKER HIGH!!! And the THEME SONG! Na, na, na na na. HEY, HEY! Carry me away!

• Members

Moment of Truth aired on NBC in Jan-Nov 1965 and was taped in Canada .It starred Douglas Watson(later to become a daytime star as Mac on Another World).

I don't know the circumstances as to why it was taped in Canada (more cost effective?)or whether it was a Canadian production that NBC picked up or specifically commisioned for NBC daytime.

The lineup was Moment ,The Doctors and Another World.

Moment of Truth's replacement was Days of Our Lives.

• Members

Wow, Student Bodies! I loved the first season... the season season left much to be desired. It was so hard to catch this show where I was, because they should it at different time week to week... and sometimes didn't show it at all.

Loved Degrassi, until they introduced Mia after Liberty (my favorite female character) gives up her baby and killed JT... making a point that JT and Liberty, my favorite couple will never be together again. Not to mention, this past season has been a disappointment with the fall out of the death (I can't believe they didn't have a real Toby episode and a real Liberty episode before that crappy kiss)... and the last six episodes after the death moving to the graduates. Doesn't make any sense, and the show lost momentum for me, because the death was a major event in the school. If they wanted to involve the graduates, the most logical thing to do would be to intertwine the episodes with the high school students, and end an episode or two after the death to hype the fall out of the death for next season (will probably be focused on Emma, Paige, and Craig again).

• Members

OMG. I knew about JT dying but I didn't know it got that bad. I'm glad YouTube takes away every downloaded episode. Degrassi is suppose to center around Degrassi Community School. If they wanted to focus on the grads they should of made a spin-off, Degrassi: The Graduates. I understand them focusing on Emma since she's the star of the show but there are other characters, focus on them.

• Members

Student Bodies had a laugh track though... How was it a soap? It wasn't whatsoever IMHO except that some character realtionships continued over episodes... I did see Jamie Elman (who played Cody the cartoonist) once at a mall in Mtrl though that made my day--had a crush on him...

I remember Family Passions--it had Ken SHriner (sp?) from GH and always seemed VERY boring.... Global aired, or repeated it in the mid 90s

E

• Members

All I remember of Family Passions was the German element, that was played for drama but came across as Hogan's Heroes, or even Benny Hill in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Good concept gone wrong.

Archived