Hollyoaks: BBCAmerica

• Members

BBCAmerica had been showing "Hollyoaks" at the inconvient time of 9:30 CST (with a replay of the previous days ep. at 9:00), I always found this odd, the whole repeating the previous days episode thing. About a month ago it was announced it would move the soap to 4:30 CST with old "Changing Room" episodes as a lead-in...the show just sitting around in the middle of a dead afternoon. NOW they've announced that the show is moving to TWO AM CST...While this could be seen as the kiss of death I am looking at it as a sign BBCAmerica is listening to it's (very few) viewers of "Hollyoaks" and is keeping it round (hopefuly the cult audience can build at the new time) The show is heating up with episodes from the Fall of 2006...

Amy is pregnant and out of control

Clare is up to no good and trying to get control of both The Loft and Max (while dodging his desires for a baby)

Teenager Justin, after being dumped by his former teacher Becca, has gone to the police and signed out a complaint against her

Craig and John-Paul's gay antics are about to get going full-swing

Mercedes and Russ's romance is building

Just a few of my favorite stories right now.

Check it out and if you like what you see make sure you drop a line to BBCAmerica via the contact us link at thier website and let them know!

Kade

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Unfortunately, BBC America is infamous for moving timeslots around for shows like this. The same thing happened a few years ago with EastEnders. There was another show, NYLON (I think that was the name), they did the same thing too. Both shows eventually disappeared from the schedule (although EE is available through ppv now). I hope the same doesn't happen for Hollyoaks. I haven't had a chance to watch it. I have a hard time letting myself get hooked on anything new on BBCAmerica because it's very likely it will disappear from the schedule.

• Members

I hear you! I was a HUGE fan of EastEnders...

My glass half full hope is that by cutting the show from 3 showings of each episode to 1 in a less competative time-slot the ratings will gather ALL viewers to the one showing and give BBCA a better idea of how many people are truly watching. Maybe while it's there in the middle of the night it'll have a chance to create some buzz for itself and BBCA can eventually move it back to a less bizarre timeslot.

A half hour soap is hard to program (what do you program leading into it), my hope is that since we're so far behind the UK maybe they can double the eps? Who knows? At least at this point the show is still on the air!

Still puzzled by the fact that SOD/SOW refuse to even mention the show?!? There are like 11 daily soaps so wouldn't you imagine the arrival of a new one would get them at least slightly interested...who edits those things? sign.

Kade

• Members

I'm not surprised by SOD/SOW not mentioning it. No matter how good the soap happens to be, if it's not on ABC, NBC or CBS, it doesn't exist in the minds of the people publishing those rags.

I watch EastEnders on DishNetwork now. I think BBCA may have been plotting to get people to pay for it all along when they suddenly yanked it from the schedule. There's been a mass exodus of major characters and change in producers which kind of hurt the pace of the show for awhile. It's been a bit uneven. But recently it seems to be picking up again. Still, on it's worst day, IMO it is much better written and gutsier than the other soap that I watch--Days of our Lives.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Hollyoaks!

• Members

Per my TiVo starting on Wednesday 8/1 Hollyoaks is on EDT at 430 PM and 300 AM. It just isn't on Monday-Tuesday this week. I hope my TiVo isn't wrong...or else I'll come home on Wednesday to the wrong show saved on my box.

My favorite story is the Barnes fiasco and then the McQueens. Like Becca/Justin too. I also like Zoe.

• Members

Yes even at worst EE is MUCH better than any American soap. It did have some difficult stuff there for awhile a couple of producers ago, much worse than anything recent.

I have Hollyoaks listed only at 3 AM Eastern. Not 2. The afternoon listings were there but are no longer listed. I think BBC America had planned for the late afternoon then did yet another pretty much last minute time switch before it happened.

• Members

Yeah last week I scheduled the afternoon airing and randomly checked it yesterday on my DVR upcoming list and it was gone, I found the 2 am cst episodes and set them to record all starting tonight. BBCA FINALLY about mid-afternoon put something up on the Hollyoaks site there about the move. They evidently (after promoting it DURING Friday night's new episode of Hollyoaks) didn't air the marathon/omnibus as promised at the weekend as well. Fans looking for it at half nine CST will find it gone...at least though if they're watching live they can quickscan and find it airing later...for the DVR watchers that wait till tomorrow...no such luck.

In Hollyoaks old timeslot is the UK Friends clone Coupling. The thing that burns me about Coupling (Which I ADORE, I have all the DVDs and find it very re-watchable) is the thing I hate most about BBCA...they have SO MANY shows with a limited shelf life and one comes along in Hollyoaks (or EastEnders before it) that is endless, it can be new forever and THAT to THIS network in particular should be treated as found gold! A chance to build a FOREVER audience (do you KNOW how loyal most soap viewers are, I'm still watching Y&R! LOL!), with the promotion and grooming of this show BBCA can have something that people will continue to tune into and through this they can promote all those shows that come and go after just a few weeks due to the way the UK does thier home-grown dramas, sitcoms, etc. With Hollyoaks they can have a devoted audience to nightly promote OTHER shows, if treated right, the Hollyoaks loyal, will probably check them out and tell others about them...

Sure Coupling might get a better rating as it is more self-contained and requires only "The British Friends" as promotion, but what happens when the less than 50 episodes are over in a couple months? What do you do then? Start over...AGAIN? Run the same 50 Coupling eps. or try again to launch something new in a very competative prime time slot? It makes no sense. As for this 20 minute thing they've put at the back of Coupling leading up to the prime-time repeat block IF that gets a higher rating than Hollyoaks first runs were then I just have NO idea how I ever got a Radio/TV/Film degree because I clearly DO NOT understand the industry.

For the last time (I promise) I wish they'd just tried new eps. at ten and half ten just for a while, I can't imagine someone randomly at half ten suddenly deciding to watch something else...ALMOST all of tv is done in hour blocks during prime time and who is going to sit through the same show they saw the night before?!?

Now is the time to get the word out. NOT after the next move (which could be off the schedule) There are contact us links for all major columnists at TVGuide and Entertainment Weekly, there are links like that for letters to the editor at Soap Opera Weekly/Digest, and the various gay magazines and sites have them as well...There's USA Today, People, Us, and the like life and style magazines that also cover TV and trends and have had articles about cult shows, there's TVGal over at zap 2 it, and also BBCA, keep writing all of them I say and we'll see what happens...if worse comes to worse go on and let other networks know how you're enjoying Hollyoaks (My initial ideas are The N, ABC Family, and Soap Net), and if BBCA lets it go they'll (the other nets) will at least know there is something of an audience for it when they're making programming selections...or maybe they'll make room for even another cool UK soap...Let BBCA know you are a fan and that you are working to build the fanbase, say thanks for the next month of promised programs...be creative, devise a snail mail campaign, I've been considering a myspace site for US fans here myself...what I'm trying to say is the show is still on and I guess now we have to do a little bit of work ourselves...it worked for Designing Women in the 90's and Roswell in the early 00's...recently it even brought back CBS's Jericho from the dead! Let's not let Hollyoaks die before we try to save it!

(portions of this I also posted over at the BBCAmerica Hollyoaks discussion forum but I assume it'll ripped down once a mod sees it so I chose to 'reprint' it over here at my homebase!)

Kade (who really likes Hollyoaks, I've been SO over US daytime and to find something this beautifully filmed, perfectly cast, with such realistic compelling storylines doesn't want to let it go and piece what's going on together from YouTube clips...)

• Members

You might want to check that TiVo...

Hollyoaks was for about HALF a minute scheduled to be off air Mon/Tue and then return (with the M/T eps. never airing) on Wednesday in the afternoon spot...THAT went away and now the show is JUST scheduled for the early morning air. It sucks. Hopefully you can fix this quick! Isn't TiVo good about sorting that sort of thing out? I have a Time Warner DVR and it can be less than helpful! :)

GOOD LUCK!

BTW...am I the only one who the board is running slow for today?

Kade

• Members

I am still watching, & enjoying, Y&R as you can see from Y&R threads.

I think this 3AM slot is the kiss of death for Hollyoaks. I don't think there's any chance now it can be put elsewhere for any length of time. I think they've decided to burn off whatever's left of the contract.

Maybe the other episodes of In the City will pop up in the middle of the night sometime.

I don't think the 10 PM reruns then 10.30 slot were well thought out but when it didn't work then they did their typical giving up after promising not to do that anymore. Oh, well. That's life.

• Members

It could be that BBCAmerica hasn't contacted TiVo/TVGuide yet. As long as I know the time and channel a show is on, I can record it. My TiVo dials in once every 24-48 hours and last dialed in before I posted in this thread earlier tonight. If my TiVo was connected to a home network and could access the net, perhaps it would be updated already.

ETA: My friend on the west coast of the US...has DirectTV and they have the two episode listings that I do. So BBCAmerica has totally dropped the ball with the information. I warned her to set it to record all or else she wouldn't have gotten the episodes either after Wednesday.

Due to the spoiler issue, I don't read Hollyoaks boards since being a little spoiled is fine, but I don't want to know what will happen in six months, unless they pull the show, and that's a different story. So putting up any time changes here would be helpful just in case BBCAmerica changes their mind before my guide does.

As long as Hollyoaks will be on as planned at 3 am EDT, I'll have it on my box, since that's already set.

Thank you.

• Members

I read TONS of quotes from new BBCA exec in charge Garth Ancier about how he wanted to stop the scheduling nightmares the channel had had in the past...thanks Garth... :rolleyes:

I'm getting my write on before I crash tonight (not able to stay up to watch live! LOL!) It's sad a friend just called me to say that he was trying to show the show to his friends back home in Houston and at nine tonight it wasn't on...thanks BBCA...

Kade

• Members

It sounds like the same story BBCA gave when EE was moved around. The claim was that the cost of EE episodes were too expensive to justify airing anymore. They claimed that the ratings weren't there. At the time, EE was the only show on the schedule that had new episodes every week. They replaced EE with repeat episodes of Ground Force and Changing Rooms--snooze--claiming those shows had higher ratings.I've read about Hollyoaks on different UK websites--it seems to be a very popular show. Why BBCA doesn't advertise it and exploit it more is beyond me. I don't think they know how to market their shows well. Definitely keep up the writing campaigns to the network. It can only help.

Archived