Passions: "He-She" Blackmailer Revealed

• Members

It's enough to drive a mother to drink. On July 11, the she-mail story on Passions took yet another freaky twist when the she-male story on Passions took yet another freaky twist when the masked villain revealed that he's the long-lost son of Harmony's most respected doctor, Eve Russell. but he still didn't show his face. On July 20, Eve will figure out who's behind the mask - it's Vincent (Philip Jeanmarie), the tabloid snitch who's been having down-low sex with Chad. 'eve really didn't see this coming." says Tracey Ross, who plays the horrified doc. " After the reveal, she gets drunk and pops tranquilizers." The script called for Vincent to lift his skirt and shock Eve with what's underneath. 'I guess maybe he's a hermaphrodite - at least that's the way I was told to play the scene," Ross claims. A Passions rep says what under the skirt will stay vague for now. Maybe forever. Word is, the gay advocacy group GLAAD has been raising hell with NBC over this wild plot.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know why GLAAD is getting their knickers in a bunch (heh, heh.)

Too often soaps have portrayed LGBT characters to be saints. While this is a good way of combatting homophobia, the fact is that LGBT people can be just as evil as straight people. This story, IMO, is very positive...

• Members

While I am disappointed it's Vincent (although I was prepared because no matter which suspect JER went with it would've been predictable) and I am disappointed we are going back to the incest angle because of Vincent's relationship with Chad, this has major dramatic possibilities and makes sense. Vincent never was around and it's logical with how it all played. I mean, Philip Jeanmarie is even under the costume and has been for awhile. I also like Eve going back to her past so I will take this. Pretty would've been big for story too but she is coming anyway so I look forward to this, surprisingly enough.

The reveal sounds good as well.

• Members

I can see precisely why GLAAD is upset about this after having watched the "groin reveal" on the day-ahead in Canada. I thought it was tasteless that a doctor (Eve) was so shocked and disgusted at seeing it. Tracey played it as delicately as possible, but there is no subtely with regards to JER.

The idea that having the two genitalia turned him into this evil creature does not sit well, especially since, technically, 100% of hermaphrodites on daytime (or primetime) network television are evil. It is GLAAD's prerrogative to get upset--and this time I don't blame them. It's an edgy story. But edgy for a reason.

I mean, I'm not offended, but then again, I don't have two or ambiguous genitalia.

The bottom line is that the story will offend people, and with good reason.

• Members

But will it, Andre? Forgive me for being STUPID about this issue, but do hermaphrodites REALLY exist?! I used to think so, but then I read on a site somewhere that they're just myths, no confirmed cases. This isn't something I think about every day, nor is it something you really learn about in school, so I don't even know if it's possible to have this condition.

But let's rewind, too. Do we really KNOW that's what Vinny is? And if not (since it wasn't confirmed just yet anyway), why should GLAAD [!@#$%^&*] bricks over this? I mean, they are SO self-righteous. They don't even see the story play out and they already make a judgment. Ironic, coming from a group that DENOUNCES close-mindedness.

Anyway, Eve's reaction isn't quite what I'd call abnormal, even for a doctor. She probably had NO idea he'd just lift the skirt and show his genitals. Honestly, who does that to their own mother? He didn't even give her fair warning about it. He just did it. I buy her shock and am not offended by it, even if I were a hermaphrodite.

• Members

Hermaphrodites, on its wiki page, are commonly referred to with ambiguous genitals. You can't impregnate yourself (as per South Park), so there are a lot of myths about the condition. There are more than 50,000 reported cases in the U.S. right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambiguous_genitalia

Also, Tracey Ross was told to play it as if he had ambiguous genitals, according to her interview. It is strongly suggested, given he is wearing a man/woman costume an goes on and on about what can only be inferred as that, especially on Friday.

Listen, they have made it that someone with a very rare condition--that is already no doubt difficult for those living with it--a psychotic killer. I would be upset. Maybe not worth making a stink about it, but you already said you didn't know about the condition. Demonizing an already sidelined condition isn't the best.

• Members

"Also, Tracey Ross was told to play it as if he had ambiguous genitals, according to her interview. It is strongly suggested, given he is wearing a man/woman costume an goes on and on about what can only be inferred as that, especially on Friday."

That's why I don't trust it. We know that "Passions" (unlike "Days" for whatever reason) likes to keep things under wraps. I choose to believe that they told Tracey to play it that way because they knew the press would ask her what happened and how she was told to play it -- when actually, I believe, there is yet another twist in the story. Notice they didn't outright tell TR "Yes, he's a hermaphrodite." From what I gathered from her interview, they just said, 'Play it that way.'

Sounds fishy, no?

I may be way off, but I HOPE TO GOD they go with the African frog that change its gender. The foreshadowing is already there.

Archived