Y&R Spoilers Could There Be A Killer in GC?

• Members

Most of these are pretty yawnable....some may like what's to come, many others, well... you know ;)

Looks like someone might have been trying to 'off' a Newman when news comes back about the plane crash

Daniel finds himself getting hauled off to jail

Amber's little lies blow up in her face

David's scheming butt keeps plotting to get with Nikki

Nick decides on his place of residence

William keeps dropping hints about Gloria

Kevin goes to great lengths to trap Jana

Noah runs away from home (sometimes I can't stand that kid)

Cane keeps digging into Amber's life

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I usually lurk here, and I'm also usually pro-Y&R. I loved with Latham and team did with the show in 2006, and I have felt that the quality falloff (and plot driven problems) of 2007 owe themselves to the departure of SO many legacy staffers...Alden, Smith, Scott, Houghton, Foster, Minnis, Birn, Sussman-Morina and on and on.

That said, reading the responses in this thread just shock me. It feels like you all must not have been watching the episodes of the past week?

I posted this just now at rec.arts.tv.soaps.cbs, and I am copying it here because...well...it would be stupid to try to summarize it again here. Apologies if this is bad form.

I'm not trying to convince anyone here. It's just that I've felt my Y&R has been slipping away...but this last round of shows has reassured me that the good heart is still there.

WHY is the show better? Could it REALLY be Barbara Bloom? Did she listen to her message boards and focus groups and Neilsen ratings? Did SHE intervene? Could the network have made something better? It all seems so unlikely...but man the show has been good lately. Just my opinion of course. I apologize for the length, but you can just skip it :-).

• Members

I quit watching 4 weeks ago and see no reason to change it.

I just watched some episodes from June 2000 - pre-prom of Mac/Billy etc. - when Lauren returned to GC after her 5 yearlong B&B absence - and it could not have been more evident. These were bascially boring episodes but I was so excited to see what happens. There was so much intensity, every character evoked a strong feeling, it just flowed so smoothly.

This is exactly why I had to quit watching the crap LML dishes. She comes up with good episodes every month or so (mostly when her hubby is writing dialogue...) but the rest sucks and most importantly the show as whole SUCKS. So much inconsitency, plot-driven senselessness and the most boring characters/weakest actors drive stories... This is NOT Y&R.

(Of course a lot of shows are very different from what they used to be. But this is no excuse. However, I can watch B&B from 1987, 1997, 2007 - this is a seamless transition. Different stories, different characters (well sort of; some stuffs remains like Brooke/RIdge) but it is the same show.)

• Members

I agree with a lot of your quote here...except :-)

Episodes like last Friday's show me there is still gold in the mud...at every level. On Friday, the actors were stellar (an many of them are still our vets), most of the cast was featured, the rootedness in back-story was strong, and the dialogue was superb. Yet, all of this was wrapped in the "new" packaging (faster scene pacing, multiple sets, different background cues, etc). And this hybrid approach (old plots and characters, new packaging) was very satisfying [not just to me, but, for example, to many usual naysayers on usenet).

Like you, I share the concern that by the next episode we'll be back to plot driven superficiality. This gives me hope, though, that it doesn't always have to stay that way.

I'm having a great deal of hope for the fact that Barbara Bloom helped write an episode this week. It makes me hope that CBS/Sony _see_ the problems they have created, and will reign in some of the wildest plot-driven inconsistency to produce a more balanced, appealing show.

A guy can hope....

• Members

I quit somewhere after Jana imprisoned Colleen and Kevin in the freezer and set the place on fire. A few episodes later I saw some episodes and was completely disgusted by what my favorite show turned into. I'm sad to see it like this. They say that it got better when Nick returned home (a few eps ago). But he won't always be like this! Sooner or later, it will turn back into what it was the last few months. I want my old Y&R back! But I don't think I ever will.

• Members

I'm still watching, and I agree with you, Mark, that Thursday and Friday's episodes showcased some stellar, exciting stuff. Josh Morrow really impressed me, and I'm not usually impressed by him.

Having said that, I am worried that this is just a brief moment of glory amid a whole lot of slop. Unlike you, I am not a fan of Adrienne Frantz and certainly not here. In fact, I find her character (a newbie in all but name) to be symptomatic of everything that is wrong with Y&R at the moment. Bland, shiny, all baby-voice but no zing.

Y&R has always been about character and motivation and people. Putting aside Nick's amazing scenes with Noah, Phyllis, Victor and, especially, Sharon, all I'm getting is plot, plot, plot. That is Brian S. Frons's speciality at ABC, and look at the way his "teen-demos, flashy stunts" dictates have ruined greats like AMC, OLTL and GH! CBS and its jewel-in-the-crown Y&R should not be aping that formula. It should be setting the standard.

Archived