AMC: Liza Colby Is Needed in Pine Valley

• Members

I know for many, including me, recasting a vintage role like Liza Colby Chandler is a daunting task but I just find it so bizarre for Liza to be god knows where not even checking in on the daughter she fought so hard for and to keep away from the big bad Adam.

She needs to return. I was thinking someone like maybe Jensen Buchanan (ex-OLTL, AW, ATWT, GH) would maybe be an idea for a recast. What is she up to these days anyway? I last saw her on GH like 5 years ago.

I was thinking last night she could return to yes check in on Colby but something else brings her back to town as well. Erica gets fed up with this reality show business and fires that Pam, her producer, so she needs a new one. With Liza's experiance in television she applies for the job!

I also think she could mix things up with Adam again and we'd get more Marian. I just need to see Liza with Colby. Its bugged me since Colby came back and aside from a couple one sided phone calls, nothing and that is so out of character.

Marcy Walker is done with acting, we need to move on from that and get Liza back in Pine Valley ASAP!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I LOVED Liza and Adam & Liza when Lorraine Broderick was writing -- and then McTravesty came on board in late 1997 and destroyed the couple as well as the Liza character on SO many levels, and she never recovered. So, I'm glad that she's gone. Love Marcy, hope she's doing well after running off to join that commune or whatever :blink:

But Liza's been a thorn in my side ever since she and Tad became "best friends." The woman all of a sudden stopped being bitchy Liza Colby and started being PodLiza Wannabe-Martin. I also am still pissed off with her fleeing town with Colby for no real reason other than Adam had gotten back from being shipped to Mongolia and wanted to see his daughter. And then she really put a nail in her coffin with me when she helped Tad help the Baby Stealers a.k.a. Babe and Jamie evade the cops. Like she was doing the modern day underground railroad. Helping kidnappers flee from state to state. :rolleyes:

Stay gone, Liza.

• Members

I think whatever role Liza could have played in a Colby storyline can easily be filled with the presence of Marian. Jennifer Bassey seems to still very much be with the show. Marcy Walker has retired from acting. I'd rather see Marian taking over the motherly role, than another new face in the crowd.

• Members

I think Marcy is pretty un-recastable in this role. They tried it once and failed on all levels. I don't think the viewers will give a ding-dong crap about Liza unless Walker plays her. It's kind of the way AMC fans are with certain characters and actors (Greenlee much?).

Plus, as everyone pointed out, they destroyed Liza the last few years on the show. In fact, I didn't care much for her from the brain tumor/drugging storyline on, mainly because the show didn't know what to do with her. She had some bright spots along the way, mainly her scenes with David and her dislike for the Careys (but then she goes & helps Babe, I know! :rolleyes: But in my mind, that was all for Tad & Jamie)

As for Walker's retirement from acting, speaking from the point of view from an actor, you never really retire from acting. If it's in you, it's in you, which is certainly the case with Marcy. She'll be back someday, mark my words.

• Members

Take Krystal away and give me Liza. I'd much rather see Liza in the mix with Tad and Adam than Krystal. It's just ridiculous that a mother who did everything to protect her daughter has just let Colby go back to Pine Valley. Not only has Krystal stole Liza's men, but her daughter, too!

I think amc_fan's idea of Liza working for Erica is great. I *only* want Liza back if she's the old, WRCW barracuda Liza. The one who would do anything for ratings, but still sometimes felt guilty about it. Damn, there was some good writing on AMC in the mid-90's.

I know it's a big order to fill Marcy Walker's shoes, but I think they're plenty of actresses who could do it. It wouldn't even have to be long-term; just provide us some closure. What if Liza comes back and so does her brain tumor, and she dies?

I've said it before, but I think a great recast Liza would be Eileen Davidson.

• Members

Broderick was GOLDEN! I still remember when Liza was re-introduced. That first scene panning up from the floor, up her legs to reveal LIZA COLBY! I was like OMG. The re-introduction of Liza was one of Lorraine's first stories. The WRCW days were filled with such dram. Who can forget the affair reveal when Marian played that tape.

AMC may have not lost ground in the ratings race during Broderick's run but I as a viewer loved pretty much everything she did. She understood the show. She is someone I would want to write AMC again but she's too smart to work for Frons. Is she doing anything now? She was last on GL as a breakdown writer correct? I need to consult the resource archive!

• Members

She was last credited as the Associate Headwriter for GL from 2004 to 2005, She should've been promoted to HW again, since she also has a history with GL (as does McTavish, but we'll skit that).

Frons ousted her from OLTL and offered her to headwrite AMC again, but she refused and went to GL for only a year. It's really a shame, as I've said before, Broderick is one of the few HW's who has found success on every show she's written for (AMC, GL, ATWT, and OLTL).

• Members

Yeah I knew Frons offered the AMC job and she turned him down cold! Good for her! As you say, sure she has been around the business just as much as McTavish has, the difference is she brought critical success to every show she wrote for, and when you think of Lorraine, the word hack is not the first that comes to mind like it is with the likes of McTavish....

Megan should never ever get another job in this business again. Really, after the GL fiasco and the 2nd AMC stint, she should have been barred from coming within 500 feet of a writing utensil!

• Members

You had me all the way until you said Eileen Davidson would make for a passable Marcy re-cast. UGH!!!!

But you're dead on about AMC in the mid-90s- there was much greatness there. LOVED Liza's re-entry into the scene. The thing is, because of her stint in the early 80s, Liza is an iconic AMC character and viewers only identify with Marcy in the part. A re-cast would be pointless and would likely only serve to further muck up the character.

Archived