Lipstick Jungle: Discussion Thread

Toups

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Saw the pilot for this a couple of weeks ago and I have to say it wreaked.

The script was very, very by-the-numbers and even dated with the usual pitfalls of career women thrown at the women. What's more it's completely impossible to reconcile the idiotic personalities of the three central characters with the high powered positions they supposedly inhabit. Brooke Shields is basically playing an older Suddenly Susan, Lindsay Price acts like a character from One Tree Hill and Kim Raver comes across like some kind of menopausal posterwoman.

That could all be excusable if it was even interesting but it was just boring. Like a 90s Lifetime TV Movie.

• Members

:lol: I knew it, I really did! It kind of had potential to develop into an interesting show, but after reading who will run it and who'd been cast in title roles (Brooke Shields?! :huh:), things were very clear.

P. S. I can't believe how powerful The (Warez) Scene has become! They've already got a pilot for a show that will premiere on January 20th, 2008! :lol:

P. P. S. James, I didn't know you watched Lifetime movies. :D

• Members

I'm merely familiar with them. ;)

Oh it was just so bad, I can't believe it ever got picked up except for the names. I suppose given the retooling I should reserve judgement until it goes to air but I just cannot imagine how it would sustain itself for the course of an entire season. I realised as well that there's just no chemistry between the three female leads at all. We're supposed to believe that they're close friends but it's forced. We're never told why they're friends except that they're all "powerful" and they wouldn't even be connected were it not a for a few painfully contrived scenes that are like parodies of Sex and the City. The final scene in particular is just nauseating and a lot of that has to do with the cheesy soundtrack.

Now I've just had a flashback of a scene of Brooke Shields' "movie mogul" finally plucking up the courage to fire somebody, all set to 'Miss Independent' by Kelly Clarkson.

So yeah something else they need to work on. I hold out higher hopes for Cashmere Mafia which ironically enough I thought was going to be the turkey of the two.

• Members

:D As I said, the moment I saw the showrunning team... Darren, however, can set things in motion, but how much can he sustain a certain pace and quality (oh, did I just write that Darren writes quality drama? :lol:), that is another question. SATC was on fire after Michael Patrick King took over. I was really waiting for The Mastersons of Manhattan, but I wasn't satisfied with the choice of Natasha Richardson as the lead. But Gary Janetti and James Burrows are a great team and they would make the whole thing worth while, I believe. But it wasn't picked up, so I'm told.

Another thing I'm waiting for is Cynthia Cidre's Cane (CBS), I want to see how that turns out.

Archived