DAYS: OH HELL NO!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, now that this little flare-up is over and I've obviously been declared the victor, I'll wrap it all up with a nice little bow...

MarDevil: "Don't take me on, (enter name). You won't like it, and you WON'T win."

• Members

Wow. Some people would never have survived watching daytime TV of the 1970s, where the sets weren't always lavish. Even the original Cory house on AW wasn't the most glamorous-looking place in the world.

As long as J&M are on, who cares where their scenes take place? We don't see Maggie's home yet she's on frequently. When's the last time we saw where Kate lived?

I'd focus on the actors themselves. J&M are going to be a huge part of this summer story.

• Members

For the record, I hope you're right!

Kate's never really had a home of her own. John and Marlena do/did. The change was made for a reason, IMO. I hope I'm wrong, though!

• Members

It's like I said: There is huge resentment that Reilly bombed so spectacularly, people looked to blame anyone but him for his failure and his inability to write a decent program written for intelligent adults; his failure (and by extension, the colossal boredom of the returns of Austin and Carrie, another 90s staple) injured the 90s nostalgia. So now Sheffer is taken to the woodshed much, much quicker and more consistently than Reilly was last time. AFAIC old Jim sucked from Day One back on the scene, and I wasn't alone in feeling that way, but then I felt he sucked when he left. I am not saying you can't have fond memories, I do too, and I am definitely not saying this show is perfect or even very good of late, but I hardly see a four alarm fire in the loss of the goddamn penthouse. It beats watching Maggie get bludgeoned with a wine bottle as a joke while Suzanne Rogers screams through ketchup on her face, or having Peggy McCay "funnily" narrate from her coffin. It beats Marlena becoming another bizarre monster. She's like a drag queen at this point, a camp joke; if those are her only story options I won't miss her. I'd rather see her character rehabilitated into a mature, intelligent heroine in grounded storylines.

I loved the 90s at times but I also hated the 90s after a point, and could never take the show seriously after a point. That's why I left. Camp and cheese and ridiculous shocks lose me after a while. If Days is to survive it can't keep going for the shocks and the childhood nostalgia ("Remember when Marlena was possessed by the Devil? Remember when Bo was a [!@#$%^&*] mime?") and the same old wells. It has to become a grown up show again. It could start by showing the damn grown ups, which it's nice to see they plan to do. When it really [!@#$%^&*] up I'll trash it, and I hope this DiMera return doesn't turn into another faux-Reilly cheesefest like it was for most of the years prior to his "triumphant return," but until it really [!@#$%^&*] up I'm just happy I'm watching something trying to change and not watching the same sad excuse for a show.

• Members

Marlena/Roman, John/Kate... idiotic stories. Ugh. It all sucked.

And no, I actually prefer Sheffer's stories to Reilly's stuff from 2004 - 2006. I just wish he'd have more of a balanced canvas. I don't want to see Chelsea and Nick on five days a week while John and Marena are lucky to see five episodes a month. People can get their hopes up and get excited for summer stories all they want... until I SEE them with MY OWN EYES, I'm not believing that John and Marlena will be involved. I distrust Corday THAT MUCH, yes.

Meanwhile, I'm STUNNED to hear you admit that you actually quit watching the show when Reilly wrote! This is, like... Jim Jones doubting his own Temple!

• Members

Thanks.

There's no way Marlena would sell it -- not without agonizing over the decision first. John bought that penthouse for her! She'd never be so flip and carefree about it to sell it off screen and just casually mention to John that she sold it to the highest bigger. It's totally out of character! And I don't buy that she "couldn't live there without John" because the way they've played the story since January, Marlena's been the one person telling everyone else that John WILL wake up because of the way he came to her in dreams... so even that story angle doesn't make sense! No matter which way they spin it, it's completely bogus and stupid.

• Members

Well, I watched sporadically when John got to the island, but when Marlena was sent to the castle, that ended it for me for several months. Then I tried watching when Alex North came on, but I wasn't feeling any of the stories. Then I tried again when Carrie came back, but Carrie and Austin didn't have enough exciting material. Then I tried again when Patch and Kayla came back, but it was a total clusterf***. I watched Milstein's stuff on and off because I needed to get my Carrie/Austin fix before they left, and I just plain refuse to watch Sheffer's stuff because he came off as an arrogant !@#$%^&*] in his interviews. And the episodes I have seen have been boring and full of characters I just don't like.

The problem was just the stories were boring! I was surprised that JER couldn't come up with anything more exciting...that's why I think he was mad at Corday and purposely wrote Days poorly as revenge.

Truth be told, I also cannot stand Martha Madison, and she's a big reason why I don't watch the show, too.

Archived