DAYS: OH HELL NO!

• Members

So, I'm reading the SoapCity board at the moment, and I'm stunned to find post after post after post with people reacting to "the news."

As I read further, I realize they're talking about John and Marlena's penthouse. What about it, I say?! So, I keep reading... and it turns out that Corday has gotten rid of John & Marlena's penthouse!

Apparently, at an event on Saturday, Drake Hogestyn revealed to fans that J&M no longer have a home because the show -- get this -- SOLD IT! The Penthouse is gone.

Why did she sell it?

Well, it appears as though Ken Corday sold the set to "I Wanna Be A Soapstar."

[!@#$%^&*] YOU CORDAY! RIGHT UP THE ASS!

I hate that man. With the passion of a thousand fiery sons. Son of a bitch!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm furious about this. FURIOUS! The Penthouse was one of the only decent sets left! Everything now is teeny-tiny and fugly. They got rid of the Salem Place set, then ditched the DiMansion... now we're losing the Penthouse, too?!

Days is slowly but surely turning into "Guiding Light." Bringing in newbies and paying for them by selling all the decent sets! The Penthouse has so much history!

God.

I'm so close to quitting this show.

• Members

Wow...you know something, I like the Penthouse for the memories it contains but I really don't care for it. We have hardly seen it in recent years anyway since J&M have been off and on.

However, I realize this will likely cause another stupid ruckus by the rabid fanbases, just like the comforter incident did, so Days should prepare for some backlash. These petty things always blow up into something worse and they really shouldn't do stuff like this, even if it's for budget reasons and so on.

I hope fans look on the bright side and are just happy J&M are in spoilers. Plus, Marlena selling it isn't a shock. She thought John was gone and the memories may have been too hard for her so she sold it. It works for the character IMO. It's no big deal but I guess he comes the firestorm.

• Members

I can live without John and Marlena's pleasuredome surviving to 2010 if it means competent storytelling and not endless daily shark-jumping while everyone's acting is dialed to Caricature +10. Getting rid of the guy named Duck was a nice step.

• Members

Oh no. I don't accept any of this.

The Penthouse was one of the few sets left that actually had space. Compared to the other sets nowadays, the penthouse looks like a football stadium! Nevermind the fact that looking back at the 1995 episode this past weekend on SoapNet, I really noticed the change in set size from then to now... they were huge back then! And now Corday goes and gets rid of the one decent set they have left?! Why? To pay for more newbies? I suppose that John and Marlena will now be living in some plain-jane hotel room looking piece of crap like the rest of Salem?

As for Marlena selling the home... it doesn't work for the character at al! She's been telling everyone all this time that "John is still in there" and "it's only a matter of time before he wakes up." Besides, even if she gave up all hope, there's no way she'd just randomly sell her family home that has all those memories... that's such poor writing! Ugh.

First we lose Salem Place, which was only "temporarily" gone while nearby construction was underway... pfft, that was a lie. It never returned. DiMansion is gone. And now the penthouse. Why do they get rid of their best sets? I don't understand it.

Goodbye, you gorgeous, multi-level penthouse with the gorgeous staircase, beautiful balcony, and stunning night-sky view of Salem. I'll miss you!

• Members

Um. It's a set. A nice one but just a set.

It happens ALL the time.

Frankly, get rid of it. If the show maintains its momentum and continues to be incredibly written and acted, it could take place completely in Chez Rouge for all I care.

• Members

Like Vee said, give us good writing and stories and solid balance and it's fine. I like the sets too but we have barely seen the set in the past few years. It's not really a big deal and while I agree some of the current sets suck, obviously there has to be budget cuts to bring people back.

Whatever...I know some are going to make an bigger deal out of this then it should be (especially the rabid fanbases) just like the comfortable incident was overblown. I am going to stay out of this thread before I lose it.

• Members

People have to find the most random things to complain about....a set....a comforter...blah....blah.

You get John and Marlena back on screen but the only thing anyone is worried about is the penthouse.

• Members

But see, that's the thing. I don't see it as "just a set."

I think it's a sign of things to come with John and Marlena. There's a reason their home was sold, and not some other set. Apparently they didn't expect to get much use out of it, which tells me thy didn't expect to get much use out of John and Marlena. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. The fact that it's one of the show's best sets just adds salt to the wound. And to top it off, the show continues hiring newbies and selling sh!t to afford them for no reason.

Fans of Guiding Light have been complaining about the same thing. One by one, the decent sets go out the window until eventually, the whole show recycles around the same tiny spaces and the characters no longer have their own spaces. Everyone lives in the same standard "hotel room," with the only different being bedding color, LoL. It's a very cosmetic complaint, but visual appeal is something that people subconsciously notice when tuning into a show. If it looks cheap, they're more likely flip the channel, IMO.

Archived