DAYS: Drake News

• Members

Unpopular opinion, but JER killed Days not in his second tenure, but his first. Yes, ratings did go up big time - but at what cost?

The stories used went against everything Days was up to that point. Sure, it had fantastical adventure stuff, but at heart, it was a soap based on love and family. It had fan support and even won Emmys back in the day with its actors. In short, it had a modicum of respect, as much as any soap could have.

Enter JER. And enter the era of watching Days not for the stories in themselves but to see how far Reilly would go. In the short term, it did pay off. I know that. In the long run, however, many tired of JER and little payoff and his repetitive bag of tricks, and tuned out. But not only did Days lose viewers, it lost its core: A sense of realism in the midst of the heightened stories. With JER, it was schlock, camp, and pushing the envelope with nothing beneath it but more tricks. No heart.

I'm sure some may vehemently disagree with me, and that's cool. But the last Emmys won by Days were in the '80s with Billy Warlock and Leann Hunley...and a good number in the '70s. And Days was a much different soap then, both decades. So, from where I sit as a once loyal and now very sporadic Days viewer, JER's short-term success would cost Days down the road. Once viewers leave, it is damned hard to get them back.

Hogan may not fit, or he may, but I respect that he is trying to make Days less of a farce and more of a soap. But, again, viewer alienation is tough to fight. And JER drove as many away as he attracted.

To me, JER killed Days back in 1993. Shrug.

To get back to the subject, though, Drake may not be great in the acting department, but he is beloved as a vet, and it is about time that TPTB remembered that and will use him again.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with you 100%. IMO, the really destructive aspect of Reilly's first tenure is that it split DAYS' viewership base into two distinct segments: the 80's viewers who were used to the supercouple formula and traditional character-driven stories and the 90's viewers who tuned in for the camp & shock value. It created an identity crisis for the show and to this day, TPTB have failed to viably reconcile these groups.

• Members

Reilly's first run wasn't bad. It was storylines never seen before on Daytime BUT they weren't so out there. The second run was a diaster in IMO. The serial killer storyline started out half interesting but then fell apart and then blew up in their faces with that ridiculous they were all on the island thing (which I still maintain was not the original idea). The last year of his reign was even more of a disaster with the flashbacks of what happened yesterday crap. BUT I think Corday is a huge factor especially recently. Is there anyway they could get rid of him? Its not like the other shows since Corday Productions somehow owns it.

• Members

Wendy you made an excellent point. I totally agree with you.

Back to the real topic here, I'm glad Drake is coming back. Whether you like his acting or not, he's a Days legend and the show needs John back.

• Members

And with purpose. His last few weeks around Days were nothing. No Basic Black, just jeans, black leather jacket and hanging out at the Salem PD. I was so worried he was leaving Days then or being written out. Now, if he is back as the REAL John Black, then welcome and long may he last. Salem needs him as the leading morally strong citizen.

Archived