DAYS: Corday Speaks to TV Guide

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Despite Corday's shaky track record, I think this is the story that DAYS needs to finally tell.

It is their biggest secret of all-time and it is about time that the show devout a big amount of time (like a summer) to telling this story with all the right characters involved.

DAYS needs to get Joseph Mascolo back IMO to make this story work. Recent story certainly indicates that Stefano is on his way to recovery...but the show NEEDS Mascolo back for this story IMO...it just might not work without him physically there!!!

I want a storyline will the whistles and bells and all the veterans on a adventure to find out the truth!!

• Members

I don't find that surprising at all. I actually think it's the opposite of what you're thinking. TPTB offered him a contract because many scenes called for Victor, just like Annie Burgstede's Willow and the White twins' Claire. It's cheaper for them to pay a contract member than a recurring member, who's on frequently. I think that's why Victor's airtime has been cut down tremendously. John Aniston has always been satsified with being on recurring ever since he returned in 1999. It's been Ansiton's decision since he returned.

• Members

Maybe when PSNS was cancelled and KR virtually announced DOOL cancellation in 2 years, Corday came up with this plan of shopping DOOL around in September and told Hogan to slow or stop all his big winter/spring stories and hold them for summer. I really think we were getting teasers about John remembering his pre-Salem years and that all of that was supposed to happen when he came out of the coma, probably in February some time. We were also getting hints that the Dimera/Brady feud would be addressed. And EJ told John that Bo was next in line to be killed, signalling a Bo/Hope storyline that we never got. I think everything was hastily rewritten at the last minute, which would explain why all the current stories have been going in circles and characters have been having the same conversations over and over again. If Corday can be believed (and I hope he's telling the truth because I'm getting excited again!), May will probably be the big kickoff for these stories featuring the vets, stories we were probably supposed to be seeing the last couple months. This explains a lot, if KC is telling the truth. It was a big gamble to take, but if we are really getting the Dimera/Brady story FINALLY, it may pay off big time. IF advertised properly, it could get lapsed viewers back because this storyline covers more than two decades. It should have a much bigger impact than, for example, Steve and Kayla coming back because their story was just a few years and many current viewers never saw it. But the feud--everyone knows about that.

• Members

I read the same article and I caught on right away that he didn't like Reilly's storytelling. I think he's a huge Hogan fan.

And he also mentioned Lloyd Battista, who must be a writer now. Damn. That guy was a good actor, it's a shame some soap doesn't pick him up for a brief stint.

• Members

I'm going to be all-out optimistic about this; if true it's sure to get me back watching again, even commenting, maybe even praising. I'll even go so far as to say it could reverse NBC's decision (because the alternatives are not optimistic enough for me, at this time). I'd almost speculate that Hogan has been writing this simultaneously with what we're seeing now, which is why we see now has suffered. I hope. Well, that's optimism for you.

It sounds as if many of the proverbial ducks are in a row... if only Eileen would return...

But. BIG BUT (yeah, mine! wanna make something of it?). This is Corday's last chance for me, his last carrot on a stick, and it's going to take a heckufa lot more than a couple of shows with Doug and Julie cameos.

• Members

After some people have made certain points, I'm going into this with cautious optimism. This is hardly like every other time. Never before as NBC basically said, sorry Kenny, you're done, we're out of the soap business, it's dying, etc. That's point #1. Point #2? The random as hell mention about Doug and Julie. While I agree with Jean that Julie has been played wrong recently, she hasn't been properly involved in story to be judged since Hogan took over. She went to Y&R and people that found her hammy were celebrating her like the best since slice bread. If Corday is to be believed, I definitely want to see this bear fruit. Point #3: TVGuide. Maybe, just maybe Corday's actually trying to fool us again, but having it not be a soap mag and thereby creating a sort of false security, but as I said before, this is his last shot. I also think a lot of the show's suffering has been from the writing staff changes at the end of last year, but I guess we'll see when Corday's master plan unfolds -- or not.

• Members

I'll believe it when I see it

I will say, though if there ever was a time to pull out the big guns it would be around sept when he's starting to shop Days around. Sinking Days wont make much of an appealing item.

• Members

Yeah, y'all know I'm going to be more reserved.

On the one hand, whatever. We've all been through this before- I'm down for the ride one last time. And if their balance-shifting was a way to try and build a foundation around new, cheaper characters, then returning right to the core 4 and the Dimera/Brady feud is kind of...whatever.

On the other hand, ok. Reveal the mystery behind the feud. But, if you're reading, writers, know now that you will never satisfy all of us, or even a majority. So don't even try. Just come up with something good that is revealed in an entertaining, interesting way. My only expectation is that you've actually planned it out ahead of time (well, I expect the reason to suck, too, but I'm focusing on the journey not the actual revelation).

And, please, whatever you do time it right. Don't get all Reilly on me with 18 months of garbage, but don't get all panicked either and feel the need to throw that reason out there during this actual summer, unless you're going to start prepping me for it by early May (for a late August reveal). Don't rush the Reveal of All Reveals.

I'm a little nervous about his comment about an unbelievable storyline, because I don't know how I'll react if I see an advertisement for The Most Shocking (whatever) in Daytime. Don't flash me back to the stupid neverending kidnapping stuff.

I don't buy this as some kind of pre-planned thing, though. Frankly, I think little enough of Corday to see him as a fairly stupid man when it comes to running the show. But I don't think of him as so stupid that he would withhold vets just for a summer storyline. Seriously, to sacrifice a couple sweeps periods, knowing the trend for all soaps but one is a continual downward spiral, you're going to hold back? It doesn't matter in the long run, though. As long as it's good story coming up.

Archived