DAYS: Corday Speaks to TV Guide

• Members

Of course. The thing is, I actually like this young generation. Nick, Chelsea, Abby, Max, Stephanie... I like them all. It was too much, too soon, though. Everything is great in moderation.

I don't think that Corday realized what an affect it would have on ratings to backburner the vets like this. Apparently, he learned nothing from 2001.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ITA, and it was so dumb because it just makes people resent them. Qualitatively they have such potential but so many so strong so soon is just so dumb, it doesn't work! Learn from the Langan fiasco! And in the process you'll get more viewers to like these characters in the long run.

• Members

Another theory:

Everyone nows how NBC *loves* to meddle with and screw up their soaps (they've been doing it, literally, for DECADES). IMO, it's entirely conceivable that KR has been making KC jump through hoops in an attempt to keep Days on the air ("listen, if you feature all the youngens and get those young demos up..."). When NBC's plan didn't work and the ratings dropped even lower ("oh, gee, Ken, I'm sorry. It looks like your family's little show is done..."), KC decided to give a big FU to NBC and start doing things his own way (starting with the stories he thinks fans want to see disregarding what NBC thinks fans want to see while also shopping the soap around elsewhere) and this summer is the earliest everything can make it to air. Considering that Feb sweeps just ended and the show tanked, that means that it would take until summer for everything they're working on right now to make it to air.

Just a theory.

• Members

Certainly is plausible. I would LOVE to think that Corday would only do right by this show considering his parents legacy and just for the simple fact that he would want his parents to be proud of what he is doing with their creation.

No doubt in my mind that NBC wants to see DAYS fail. WHY ELSE would they go to the press and tell everyone and their mom that DAYS may not be on the air with NBC past 2009. IMO, NBC has set up DAYS for failure by doing this, which is a HUGE slap in the fact to all DAYS fans.

No doubt Corday is pissed...if it were me, I would be trying everything in my power to get DAYS to ABC or CBS and tell NBC to go f*ck themselves. I sure hope that if it was NBC interferring that Corday turns a deaf ear to them and runs the show the way it should be and the way he thinks it should be ran. Corday knows he has lost NBC's support now...so why not run the table with DAYS...make it as popular and as big as possible...lock in one of the other 3 networks and then leave NBC to rot in daytime hell where it is going to be when DAYS finally leaves the network.

In some legal aspect, NBC should be sued by Sony Television for damages if you ask me.

• Members

Interesting theory. I could see it... because something just doesn't add up. Ken Corday knows what sells on his show, but continues to feature the younger generation while backburnering the vets. There must be a reason behind it.

Part of me thinks that he backburnered the veterans in order to afford the use of them in a big summer story, but then another part of me says, "Psh, this wasn't planned all along. Corday isn't that clever."

I can't make heads or tails of Days anymore.

• Members

DAYS(or pretty much any soap) would rule in syndication, but the budget for the show would be substantially lower, I would assume. They could cut back on production costs if they had two week hiatuses every 13 weeks.

What would happen during these two weeks you ask? DAYS could show a "Best of" marathon over that two weeks or aired 10 of the best episodes from a story arc(like "Possession" or "Buried Alive"). Plus, if the show is really good and well-written, then the hiatuses will make people anticipate the show that much more.

And DAYS could have a weekend recap similar to the way MyNetworkTV did for their soaps(narrated by a star of the show or an announcer and minus the campy, cheesy lines).

I would love to see King World partner with Sony/Corday if it happens. King World already has so many Sony-Owned properties as/is.

The only problem I forsee, however, is Corday/Sony's deal with SOAPnet to air same-day. DAYS has to do something drastic, timeslot wise, to stay on the air. Being on in the timeslot they are in right now simply won't work. That audience is gone. DAYS needs to be airing after GH or GL on an affiliate that doesn't have DR PHIL or OPRAH. And if not that, then it needs to air before primetime on affiliates that don't have a newscast at that hour. If DAYS is still contracted with SOAPnet when they strike up the syndie deal, there's no way an affiliate will legally be able to air first-run DAYS at 7PM EST. Maybe they will do "yesterday's DAYS" on SOAPnet if that happens.

Anyway, just my own thoughts. I would love to see DAYS moved to another network or syndication, but it won't work if it is in its current timeslot.

• Members

That is theory I can see. I just think what happened in January was too sudden to attribute to it being planned or Hogan;s fault. Yes, Hogan had balance issues at ATWT but you don't just go from one extreme to another. The show went from a good balance to focusing on pretty much the same rotation for months. It was almost an overnight change. As I have always said, Hogan's reputation is on the line. He has high expectations to live up to. He wouldn't just make tons of promises and then not keep at least most of them. He has a big mouth and I am sure a big ego and getting trashed as a liar and as destroying Days would be bruises to his ego. Corday also knows the show is in dire straits. He knows the money characters and he saw how much better the ratings were in the Fall with the vets so he wouldn't be stupid enough to experiment like that and just screw with the balance all of a sudden. I look back at the fact that Days didn't have any sweeps previews in any mags for the first time that I can remember and that interview in SOD when Corday had brief comments on the big 4 being backburnered and he said very little, if anything. He spinned it a bit but he usually goes on and on and he didn't. Days has been suspiciously quiet about all this so NBC being involved somehow makes alot of sense.

We probably will never know what happened but I still remember how the issues with Days began around the same time as JZ's comments It can't be a coincidence so maybe Corday talked things over with them and even knew NBC had doubts about keeping them past 2009 and that is when things changed.

I am hopeful this is as good as it sounds. I have wanted the Brady/Dimera feud story done for years. I am crossing my fingers for Joe but as long as the story as good, I am fine with it.

• Members

I agree the show has a "plan to save DAYS" every six months. The reason I want to believe it this time and am genuinely sympathetic is this:

In the past, whenever there was "a plan to save DAYS" it involved more disgusting crap written by inbred mutants from deepest darkest Utah, piling on yet more of the same and shock gonzo twists. These days, they are doing their best (IMHO) to write good material with good writers while hamstrung by almost zero budget and a network bent on ending the show. So I support their efforts and I support the show in its current state.

• Members

Doug and Julie...ahhh come on...Louise Sorell, Elieen Davdison, Joe Moscolo. where are these names..??? Doug and Julie what are they going to be doing? babysitting? Julie yes, but Doug? they didnt do anything, and we have Maggie who could be the main golden gal??? whats going on? I say get rid of Maggie and Mickey then.

Archived