Has ATWT been destroyed? Anyone close/near to stop watching this crap!??

• Members

I have had it with Jean P and her bad storytelling. She needs to be fired. I am about to give up ATWT for the first time ever. I am so sick of all these boring, dumb, stupid storylines. The only thing that was giving me hope was Scott Bryce's return as Craig. But I have a feeling JP will totally ruin his return as well. For now it looks like I am tuning out. I have had it with Jean P. and her crappy writing!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I watched about a week ago and I couldn't believe how bad it was. It was Gwen/Maddie screaming the whole hour. I used to think Jennifer Landon was pretty good but this story has brought out the worst in her because she was GOD AWFUL. And I've never been a fan of Alexandra Chando.

• Members

Glad I I stopped watching this show a long time ago. This is coming from someone who used to be a huge Jesse Soffer fan. I was hoping they'd eventually get him out of Gwen's orbit and backburn Jennifer Landon but none of that has happened. In fact, the show is now currently being hogged by characters I detest: Gwen, Maddie, Katie, Dusty, etc.

• Members

The level of the writing is beyond the bad we get on the other soaps mainly because it's so unexpected. The cast is too good for this crap and is being widdled down and wasted in favorite of teens and talentless newbies like Austin Peck.

The worst part for me is that there is no chance for improvement. They won the Writers Guild award and you know they won't be fired now. If CBS wanted to save the show it would've been done a LONG time ago. I knew they didn't care when they let Hogan leave and merely promoted his co-headwriter.

Y&R got an overhaul when it really didn't need it, at least not like the other three. Why would CBS be so gung ho about Y&R and not the other three? T he lack of support is baffling.

• Members

I am not an ATWT viewer, but has it gotten that bad?? I was watching some of the Luke stuff from this past year on youtube and was astounded at how realistic the writing was. What happend? It seemed like viewers were happy with the writing even after Hogan Sheffer left... which surprised me because I was never impressed with Jean Passanate's writing on OLTL.

• Members

With this latest Jennifer Landon spoiler, I'm getting closer than ever before to dropping ATWT. I've put up with a lot of JP's crap, but I don't know how much longer I'm going to be able to take it. The woman is tearing this show apart and driving it ever closer to cancellation. Frankly, I'm very scared for ATWT's future right now.

• Members

Well for the first half of the year Hogan was still on the writing staff. I think Passanante being by herself is what has killed the show. Once Hogan left thats when things started to suck (summer 06) and it hasn't recovered.

It's truly shocking just how bad the show is now.

• Members

I am just going to keep it simple and say I agree I am totally beyond sick of JP she is not getting better, everytime I think there is some hope she proves me wrong and makes the show even more worse than it was. I am just about done watching myself, I can't even stand to watch what has happened to this once great soap, it is so painful, it is really bad that if I did not watch live that I would FF the whole show, even the great actors can't save this sinking ship anymore, I don't even know if a new headwriter could anymore, they are all the same pick 2-3 characters and make the show about them, just disgusting, and the sad thing is it is only going to get worse, I hav read some of the worse spoilers yet from this hack, by April this show won't even be a shadow of it's former self. And to make it worse even the casting is getting bad on this show, at one time we had great casting people that brought us Van Hansis, Jen Landon and the rest of the teen set, now we have casting people or people at top that think Austin Peck can act, which he can't. I also hate to admit like most of you that this might be the last year for the show, I mean really they are hanging on by a thread I would imagine and it only looks like it is getting thinner and thinner and nobody cares at all at CBS.

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Mar 21 2007, 12:26 AM)
It's truly shocking just how bad the show is now.

And the real sad news is it is only going to get worse, I think part one of getting worse starts tomorrow with Ally's return. And then Aprils lovely Gwen spoiler, well I don't even want to think about what it is going to be like.

• Members

What is sad is that Days and ATWT are both terrible right now, but poor old GL which is terrific will probably go before both of them. I hate that too.

ATWT has some good days every now and then but it is terrible. It needs major work.

It's good points is that it still keeps its vets around for the most part and as Marlena DeLacroix said it still keeps focus on families - and as she said it is the only show out of the 9 that still excels in that.

It's biggest problem is not that the stories are really bad, but it is execution and that the stories go to all the wrong people - all the time. The balance is really bad again and falling back into the category it was in last fall and winter. It had gotten better after Simon left, but now all of a sudden - it is the same people all the time and many of them just move from one front burner story to another.

Sadly depending on who we get to write that might not change. It was Hogan's MO during his time there, and look around every writer that bounces from show to show right now seems to do the same damn thing. AMC is the Kendall/Babe hour; B&B is about the same characters all the time; Days under Hogan is about the same characters and is now the EJ hour; GH is the Sonny/Jason hour still; OLTL is the John McBain/Todd Manning hour now. Only GL and Y&R seem to have okay balance even though Y&R has been into featuring too much Amber lately. I just hope they will go outside the mode or at least tell the next writer that comes in - BALANCE is the word they want them to live by.

Every character on ATWT is important and has fans and as I have said before that is the reason I don't advocate backburnering anyone - just reduce their time. Instead of putting someone on 5 or 6 days in row cut them back to 2 or 3. There is no reason anyone should dominate that much. Rotate the stories. If the Will/Gwen fanbase is as big as it says it is, keep them around but cut them back some. Give another couple some equal time.

To me if a writer can't write for the full cast then he or she needs to be fired. They are not worth what they are paying for. That was my biggest complaint about Hogan. Many called him a big talent, but to me he had very little talent and was just as much of a hack as others in daytime. He said he didn't know what to do with the vets on ATWT and that is why he didn't use them. Well to me that equals lack of talent. Good writers can come up with stories for the whole cast and that was Hogan's biggest shortcoming. He wrote for who he liked and who he wanted to write for and that was it.

That is one of the things I advocate about Gary Tomlin. In the shows I have seen him work on he is good at balance esp. on OLTL where he just worked as producer. He kept the show balanced and loved the older characters as much as he did the younger ones and they were all used. He is also good at the dramatic stuff as well as light-hearted stuff. He is not perfect but he is 50 times better than JP. And I think he would be refreshing as the new EP too.

In all this I have to brag on all the fans here - we love our show but when we see it being bad we don't make excuses for it. We want the changes made and hopefully they will be. Hopefully after having successful ratings points in the last year now that the ratings are tanking someone at CBS will wake up and fix ATWT before it is too late.

• Members

I have quit watching. Mostly. I still wacth occasionally. But not religiously like I've done in the past. Staying up late and watching it with my mom or running from school to catch it before it started. But right now.....I'm not even watching.

Archived