Richard Culliton

• Members

I know there are a lot of differing opinions on this board regarding Richard Culliton and the quality of his work on the various shows he's been, but has there been any analysis or consensus as to his strengths as a writer?

I tend to think that Culliton is an eminently capable writer and in particular an excellent script writer. However, his HW stints on various shows could be seen as hit and miss. At the same time, some of his HW stints did have positives, and I tend to think that like several other capable writers may have been interfered with from above which undermined things.

Culliton's tenure at ATWT during 1995 was a case in point. In the years that followed Marland's death, I think it was very reasonable and realistic for fans and critics to expect for things on the show to come down a bit because Marland was an impossible act to follow. Of course, I'm not sure if many people expected things to get as bad as it did during 1996 or so, and for about two years after Marland's death the show seemed to be doing OK. In any case, Culliton wrote what was arguably one of the finest post-Marland storylines- the John/Lisa medical malpractice storyline- which won considerable acclaim at the time. I'm not sure how Culliton was viewed on ATWT back then, but he seems to be viewed more favourably in retrospect because of the crap which followed after he left.

Also note that during 1995, Laurence Caso was replaced as EP by John Valente, which was the start of a lot of the problems at ATWT as he began to change the direction of the show- things like letting go of a number of popular/long-time cast members. But the real problems, as I said, began when Culliton was replaced as HW...

His relatively brief tenure at AW during 1984-85 is also worth mentioning, if only for a few notable characters that came onto the show at the time. But I will also note that it was during this period in time that both Days and AW had managed a recovery and stabilisation of ratings after the dark days for NBCD at the start of the 80s.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I liked his work on ATWT. ATWT was constantly in the top 5 in the ratings with Richard Culliton. He also gaves us the Orlena/Damian/Lily story. It was good when Claire Bloom was playing the role of Orlena. But once Bloom had to leave the story went south. Lynn M. took over the role of Orlena and the story was never the same. Lynn played Orlena over the top psycho. While Bloom played her more cool, laid back...evil...stab you in the back with a nice sweet smile approach.

I hear rumors that Passanante contract is up soon and maybe Richard Culliton or Gary Sunshine may take over as HW if Passanante is not renewed!

• Members

And to add, Richard Culliton wrote AMC in 2001 and into like the first month of 2002 or something like that. I personally felt he did a good job, even though not every story was good. Did he bring back Kendall? I think he introduced Trey (I miss Sam Page on daytime) and Dog Boy Gabriel, although I could be wrong.

• Members

You can get it on ebay...you just gotta be patient. I think I got mine for $5. Soapcentral has character recaps...but I'm not sure they have yearly recaps.

I'd have to look up Culliton's dates as HW...it was kind of hit and miss post Marland. I will say, none of his scripts have really stood out for me. Friday might have been a good eppy for a lot of people, but not me.

• Members

I liked him on AMC, Proteus went on to long, but I did enjoy him on that show. I think he would be a great fit at ATWT.

I really enjoyed his first 6 months or so on GH in the 90's, but that was more timing than anything. He used Bob Guza's Bible on the the big stories at the time (Cassadine return, Kevin is Felicia's stalker, Sonny/Brenda/Jax, Jason/Robin).

When those stories spun out and he had to create new plots, it fell apart. Genie Francis went on an extended maternity leave, and it seems to me she refused to return until Guza was back. Geary even got in a fight with Culliton if I remember right. The stories were not that great either. I think Jax's wife Miranda came back in this time, and Guza had planned for her to be a Cassadine, but Culliton changed it. The show just wasn't that good.

• Members

I enjoyed Richard Culliton's work immensely on AMC. He loved the veteran actors and the characters that were the very fabric of the show. He brought back Kendall Hart, and wrote romance quite well. Proteus went on way too long but him making Vanessa Proteus was a stroke of genius IMO. Post Nixon, Culliton is my 2nd favourite AMC writer next to Lorraine Broderick.

• Members

That's not correct. I read a while ago in an old SOD from that time, that it was very difficult for Culliton, because he had no idea what Guza had planned when he left and he took over. So he had to create his own pay offs for Guzas storys.

I really liked Culliton's work as head writer on GH. I agree not everything was good, but most of it was. The show was great at that time.

And one thing i will be always greatful for is that Richard Culliton brought Lesley Webber back from the dead.

• Members

Culliton, to me, has the potential to be a very good writer and does have moments of inspired greatness. However, his stint on AMC should show why the bad sometimes outweighs the good with him.

In his first few months on AMC, Culliton wrote out unpopular storylines like Gabriel/Rosa and jump started tired characters on the show, such as Haley/Mateo and Bianca. The drug storyline, which was going nowhere, was given a mystery twist to it with "Proteus" and Greenlee/Leo were given some fun story with Jake. Erica's romance with Chris Stamp was a welcome departure from thje Erica norm, and the reintroduction of Kendall through the "Who killed Frankie?" story was great. Kendall's romance with Ryan was good as well.

Things started to fall apart, however, when Culliton began to introduce random new characters to the show - everybody loved Frankie, but does anyone remember liking Aidan when he was first introduced? Or Trey? Or even Simone, who we only grew to love later on? Culliton also tried to write a big storyline around newcomer Mia, who audiences didn't invest in, and tried to recreate the Edmund/Brook romance. The Proteus storyline, however, brought things down. Immensely likable characters like Roger and Mary Smythe were introduced then vanished, Tim Dillon and Frank Hubbard returned only to fade into the woodwork, David and Anna's storyline was all about Leo and Greenlee, and red hot romeo Jake was turned once again into a bland supporting player with Mia. Dropped story threads took up much of the screentime that wasn't devoted to Proteus, and botched attempts at new storylines flopped with the viewers. Maria's return was one giant dropped ball, and Ryan's exit left newcomer Kendall less likable and less root-worthy.

As Culliton's tenure winded down, it seemed like he had run out of ideas. The show introduced two strangers, Laurie and Joni, to interact with recast JR and Jamie. Tad was without a love interest. Erica Kane was offscreen for weeks at a time. I think that Culliton needs a creative consultant to help distinguish what works and what doesn't. If instead of the Proteus storyline the front burner stories focused on Erica/Chris/Jack, Kendall/Bianca, Jake/Greenlee/Leo, Haley/Mateo, Brooke/Edmund/Maria and David/Anna in different capacities, the show would have been the best thing on the air.

• Members

Juliet Law Packer and Richard Backus wrote the show from March 1993 until sometime in 1994 or 1995. Culliton would've joined the show sometime around '94 and likely became sole HW later that year or the start of '95 I guess. While it may have been hit and miss, you could say that at least under Caso, the writers had the task of wrapping up Marland's storylines and that would have included starting up new storylines and new characters Marland had planned before his death.

It's an interesting topic right now, given that a fair few ATWT fans seem quite receptive to the idea of Culliton becoming HW and/or having Packer and Backus (who had worked under Marland) return to the show. At least they would be far more likely to use the vets and respect history than almost all the regimes that followed them.

While we're at it, I'd also try and get Carolyn Culliton and Stephen Demorest back on the show. They were the real driving force behind Hogan Sheffer's first year work. Demorest was also part of the interim HW team in the last two months of 1997 which, IIRC, penned storylines like Kim Hughes' open-heart surgery (to coincide with Kathryn Hays' silver anniversary on the show) and the John/Barbara pairing. These storylines were reportedly considered a major improvement over anything in 1996 and most of 1997.

• Members

Where are Packer and Backus? Isnt Packer at GL? I wouldnt mind having the following:

ATWT:

Richard Culliton-Co HW

Carolyn Culliton-Co-HW

Richard Backus

Juliet Law Packer

Stephen Demorest

Hal Corley

Judith Donato

Elizabeth Page

Mimi Leahy

• Members

**It's an interesting topic right now, given that a fair few ATWT fans seem quite receptive to the idea of Culliton becoming HW and/or having Packer and Backus (who had worked under Marland) return to the show. At least they would be far more likely to use the vets and respect history than almost all the regimes that followed them.**

The Culliton I'm more interested in is Carolyn. I'm willing to give almost anyone a shot (other than McTavish who ruined GL in '96-'97)...Passanante sucks.

The Lily/Damian story (around '95) was okay. Carly's intro was okay. It was the Stern and Black era that totally sucked, and I think they succeeded him.

• Members

Has Juliet-Law Packer had a job in daytime since she left AMC in mid 2005? Hopefully Jean Passanante is the next headwriter in daytime to be let go. ATWT has so much potential for greatness. They just will never achieve that with Jean at the helm. Richard Culliton I think would be a suitable choice to take over.

Archived