DAYS- Steve and Kayla

• Members

I think that's exactly it- their return is for those who saw them in the 80s. For me, who never saw any of that, the pacing is horribly, horribly off.

I didn't automatically connect to either one or a love story between the two, and the writers didn't do a good job reintroducing them for newer viewers, imho. They were just there all of a sudden.

And the storyline hasn't flowed well, either. It follows a typical Days pattern of slow-stop-lurch, but it isn't grabbing me the way a lot of the other ones have. I agree with the idea that he got his memory back too quickly, but that's partly because I was enjoying Billie & Steve (again, no connection with Patch/Kayla means I had no need to see them get together quickly).

Bottom line though, the writers seem to have assumed a familiarity with and affection for the characters that, for a lot of newer viewers, just ain't there. JMHO.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wouldn't mind seeing the characters go on their seperate ways. Steve is very interesting and I think he would make a good addition to the currently failing police force. Kayla on the other hand, is a complete bore to me for the most part. I do however like her scenes with Bo. Those two display a phenomenal brother - sister relationship.

• Members

Well, Px, the writing was all over the place in the beginning due to the transition. JER left, then there was the ghost writer, and then Beth Milstein wrote before Hogan came on. It took Hogan awhile to get them and he really didn't get them until his memory returned in December. He got Steve but not Kayla. Actualy, I don't think he really has grasped Kayla until the last few weeks where she has been more active in story and not just supporting Steve.

Steve and Kayla's return suffered big time with the transition. I also think they rushed their reunion in the beginning. Both actors returned and were reunited on screen in 2 weeks. I think they should have waited and used that as a Wimbledon cliffhanger. They dragged their feet with Steve and Kayla all summer because of the transition and, even when they were on, I think SN and MBE improvised on alot of their lines just to try to make it true to character. They then did the Steve/Billie thing which seemed like nothing but filler until Hogan came on. Hogan then used it for some character development for Billie and as a complication for Steve/Kayla until he remembered and he could buildup to their current story. The amnsesia story probably would've been better if not for so many writing changes.

In summary, the transition hurt them. I think more would care or be at least interested in them if not for that. Some are starting to like them right now because the story at least attempts to grab at your attention and there is direction and good material to play. Some will say they should've waited to bring them back but I think it was too late. Too many balls were rolling already and they had to go through with it and make the best out of it. It was lacking big time but Steve and Kayla are hitting their stride now IMO.

• Members

I still see a lot of chemistry between Mary Beth Evans and Stephen Nichols. The writing has been strangely paced for Steve and Kayla. But, IMO, their reunion scene in December and some of their scenes this past week are as good or better than anything I saw of them in the '80s. IMO, Evans and Nichols are great additions to Days because of their great talent and work ethic - throw any type of storyline at them and they will deliver.

• Members

The writing for these two have been terrible, and putting them frontburner above any other couple is just wrong. Making Steve a psycho mind-controlled temper-tantrum terror is a great way for people to instantly become annoyed by him. I like Kayla, mostly because I like Mary Beth Evans, but as a couple, Steve & Kayla do nothing for me. I'm not interested in their history except for how they're connected to other characters (Bo, the Brady family, etc.).

People have commented that Austin & Carrie did nothing for the ratings. And that's very true. Although one was re-introduced in September '05 while the othe was re-introduced in December '05. Evans & Nichols returned within a couple weeks of each other. And they haven't done anything for ratings either. These last few weeks, which has been nothing but Steve & Kayla and the under 25 crowd is proof that they (combined with their horrible storyline) aren't luring back old viewers.

True, I didn't see their first go-around. But I also didn't see Bo & Hope's first go-around until their original portrayers returned ('95), but instantly fell in love with them as a couple. So whether or not I experienced the 80's Steve & Kayla hey-day shouldn't impact how I'm enjoying their present-day chemistry. I don't see anything great about them. Honestly, I don't *care* about them, even though I feel I should simply because they're a part of DAYS' great history. But I don't.

• Members

That's an interesting point about the transition affecting their return. I can't let it excuse things- these are arguably the biggest returns they've had since...I want to go back to Alfonso as Hope. They should've had things worked out well in advance of even asking the actors to return, and they should've committed to it. I know that's totally unrealistic and unfair to the replacement headwriters, but it would've been nice for the viewers, especially after they botched Austin and Carrie's return to the show (though frankly I think they screwed that one on purpose to stop people like me from ever wanting Carrie and/or Austin to come back again- they killed 'em dead now and I don't want to see them again).

• Members

Well, it would've been planned out if they didn't have ghost writers, then Beth, then Hogan. No story can flow easily through all that. They had a plan when they first came on but, like alot of things last summer, alot of it fell apart due to writers in and out. It't not an excuse becuse Days did do alot of good things last summer too but some crucial story threads were messed up because of the writing situation. Steve and Kayla goth the worst of it.

Nobody is saying anyone has to like them but they are here to stay. I just don't agree with how some feel that they shouldn't have come back at all. They HAD to come back at some point. It's too bad the writing has not been better for them because I fully think that is the problem here. I also think for some reason that many more recent fans have issues getting used to or invested in Steve and Kayla. I don't know why but it seems like the older, die hard fans love them and recent fans don't care for them or like them better individually then together unless they are big Days history buffs and then in most cases they do.

Again, though, to each their own. I know some that dislike Bo and Hope and other couples. It's all personal taste and preference.

• Members

I would rather see Jack and Jennifer, Bo and Hope, John and Marlena, and many others before Steve and Kayla. Having said that, I think Nichols is one of the better actors around and wish he and Matt Asford could work together again. I can only imagine scenes with Judi as Adrienne, Matt Ashford as Jack(the dark sided version of him), and Nichols as Steve, all 3 awesome actors. I don't know what it is but I don't really enjoy many Steve and Kayla scenes.

• Members

I actually don't belive in the whole "you had to be there in the 80s" thing. Chemistry is either there for ya or it isen't. I despised Bo and Hope for like 10 years of my viewing time, but that was about character. I saw the chemistry, I just despised some characteristics the hacks had them develope. Chemistry and writing are different things. Writing that go up and down, chemistry is either there or it isen't. Through all the crap of the late 90s and 00s, J&M, B&H and J&J all suffered with writing, but it didn't damage the chemistry. They SHINED when they had some half-decent writing, but you could enjoy the chemistry none the less.

IMO anyway.

• Members

I was a big fan of Steve and Kayla in the past also. Right now I'm sick of seeing them constantly on the screen, I just don't see it anymore. I'm disappointed with Days as a whole these days. I was so hoping it would get better, but now I go for days without watching it. It really hasn't improved in my opinion, and I'm very disappointed.

• Members

I guess I'm in the minority on this one because I'm thrilled Steve and Kayla are back. I'm one of "those" people that started watching again after years of never giving the show a second thought, and now after several months of watching again I've come to a few conclusions.

The first thing I noticed when I started tuning back in was the horrible writing and pacing of the show. While all the characters (at least the ones I remembered watching from years ago) suffered from this, I think Steve and Kayla were definitely victims of shoddy writing, and their return was botched from the beginning right through the writer transition. I think it has been difficult for viewers who are unfamiliar with the characters to get to know them due to the months they were backburnered and the uneven writing during that time. Having said all that, I think Nichols and Evans did their best with the material they were given and I think they have done some amazing work in the past several weeks. I also think their chemistry is as strong as it ever was and it really shines through in the quiet moments (like when Steve isn't having a Tarot card meltdown).

In my opinion, it also appears the characters of Steve and Kayla have carried a large bulls-eye on their backs from the moment they showed back up on the show. I'm not sure if this is something unique to them or if other couples receive the same attention, but it has been interesting to see. I'm sure there was a certain amount of curiousity, by those who had never seen the characters, to see what the fuss was about and a natural desire to compare S&K to their favorites. But apparently, other characters lack of airtime, lack of storyline and people being fired from the show all were caused by these two characters, as well. There has been an amazing amount of hatred heaped on them for things that were happening behind the scenes on the show. Not everyone has to love them. Heaven knows there are several characters that make me want to spork out my eye, but I would never dream of running to every message board calling for their head on a pike.

Like I said, I'm happy the characters returned--I wouldn't be watching otherwise. I believe they were an important part of the history of the show and they have as much right to be there now as anyone else. I'm enjoying watching them and I'm hopeful they will have a better conclusion to their story than the one I was stuck with for the past sixteen years. I'm going to continue enjoying watching Stephen and Mary Beth work their magic and I'm grateful for every day I get to see it.

• Members

IA with Gray Bunny.

But I did watch their first go around and everything was so different back then. Storylines went on with a purpose NOT around in circles. Romance was there to compliment storyline progression, not to "FILL" airtime. Steve and Kayla have been doing the same thing for over 6 months now, which really is nothing. There were a few awesome scenes like when Steve got his memory back but everything is just VERY uninspired. I always heard that Hogan was a good story teller and that he loved Mary Beth Evans but she is not but a second fiddle in this dreaded storyline. Even if a big climax were to occur I don't think it would be efficient rather than coming across as rushed since we spent over 6 months with no progression. This storyline is stuck in the lame duck territory and I also agree that the show took the lame/easy way out of it by attributing it to the DiMeras once again, pretty much throwing history out again. I hope it all makes sense later...

I also agree with px780, these two returns were as big as Alfonso and Hall in 91 and 94. They should have been planned out well before the actors appeared on our screen. The ratings would have skyrocketed had we had another Maison Blanche.

I also don't agree with S&K should not have come back. They are historical fixtures for this show and have earned their spot where they are. They just need to be written for right.

• Members

The writing is the biggest problem with S&K right now.

I think what happened is when they returned last June, JER was going for a Steve/Kayla/Jack triangle as well as the three of them teaming up to find out what happened to Steve all those years ago. But Matt was fired, JER was fired, so Hogan and his team had to figure out what to do next. So Billie became the third party and filled Jack's role until S&K reunited. Now they're together and the story is progressing so slowly, no wonder many viewers aren't liking it, or them. It also doesn't help that we're supposed to believe EJ was behind Steve's torturing when technically, he's only 10 years old.

That said, I still like them, and I think MBE and SN have wonderful chemistry. I just wish their story would pick up and the writing would show how good they can be.

• Members

I think bringing back S&K had to happen some time, it was one of those things that I bet Corday was just sitting on and sitting on. What stands out to me is the bad planning and writing, but I'm not trying to convince anyone to give them a chance just because I blame the writing above the characters' intrinsic value (which is in large part written too, so yano). For me, I pretty much expected that the writing would hurt the return, because it was so low-quality across the board.

As for what's front burner right now, I think none of the stories at the moment are in the position to "carry" the show. I don't think that means the characters have no place on the show, but it really is the storyline that brings the ratings, not the characters in themselves (IMO). Shelle were not in a position to be the Big Happening Romance yet, they needed a little while longer to shed their Overgrown Teen vibe. Like for some of you, Nick and Chelsea are a bright spot for me but they need to be careful not to overexpose them. Steve and Kayla were just not introduced well enough to newer viewers to be the big thing yet. That doesn't mean they're not big in a historical context of the show, but there are logistics to consider also. It's also notable that had they gotten the proper build-up since last summer they could be at a point now to really carry things, but the writing here and now would also have to be better (it's pretty silly for Shelle and S/K, and it's a little pushy for Nick/Chelsea too, though they're fun, as well as Lumi -- it's just silly across the board). Lumi to me are the characters that really make sense on the front burner right now, and you can find a riddle of problems with how their storyline has progressed too.

What I would've done is carry on with Bope a while longer, even though they were on a whole lot in 2006. They didn't need to be on as much these last two months but they should've been on more than they were, people are pretty invested in the Bope relationship and I would've given them serious adult writing to resolve their problems rather than sweep them under the rug. I think that would've provided more continuity. While I like -- maybe even love -- Nick and Chelsea I would've paced their storyline so that it didn't come off so melodramatic (still love them!), if they were going to do the Lonely Splicer stuff I would've taken some time and shown their actual correspondence so you could see what it is they were saying to each other, and that could've been diluted out over some weeks). Shelle, well I don't quite know where to begin with Shelle, lol, I don't really get them and I would've sent Shawn away to the Merchant Marines when JC left and worked on Belle's character, let her go up against the big bad Kiriakises and work on making her strong that way. All the while I would've wrapped up the Lockharts and crept the Dimeras along until J/M and S/K were at a point to take off with it. In the meantime I would've given meaningful romance stuff to those two couples -- J/M reconnecting and S/K with a whole lot of angst (I also think they gave Steve back his memory way too soon and robbed us of the chance of seeing them fall in love again).

I don't know, I really think the pacing on this show is seriously whacked, I don't know why we have to go so long without seeing some characters and then all of a sudden we see nothing but them. I think with better planning we could see everyone on a moderately regular basis, and I think that it only creates this lurching feeling someone else mentioned that makes the show hard to get into. We're getting nice, isolated scenes, but nice isolated scenes only make you happy you tuned in that particular day. They don't keep you coming back tomorrow.

Archived