John McCain wants to overturn Roe v. Wade

Q Steph

• Members

My body and reprodcutcive functions does not involve you or an other man, woman or everyone. You(Pro-lifers) have no entitlement to govern the decisions I make as though I'm your child or some kind of slave. I am my own erson and quite able to form my own choices without the input or interference of others who simply have a different opinion. Do not impose it on me because I won't be imprisoned by a mentlaity I find fault with. I'm a person of faith, but I have so many questions that can't be explained away by God said so. Therefore, religious doctrine should not be the end all, be all because no man walking earth is upright, righteous and sin free to declare that his word is almight. I satisfy my own conscience; not pander to a consensus in order to validate my own feelings and ultimately choices.

If I want to have an abortion, that's my business.

Furthermore, an issue like abortion mirrors other hot topics such as gay marriage. Two men can't get married because some politician in Washington who has never stepped foot in your home decides it's what best for everyone?! Once upon a time, sitting in the back of the bus was also such a mandate that ultimately needed to be reversed.

I also do not believe that life begins at conception. It's a fetus. If you cannot substain life on your own, you are not a living entity. You can't murder a fetus. Harsh as it may sound, but it's just a bunch of cells with potential.

I also don't believe in prolonged life support. I refuse to be a corpse who only substain itself throgh the use of machines. That's not living! Those who involved themselves in the Terri Schiavo should forever be changed for taking a personal matter into fodder for votes.

Birth and children are truly a blessing, but not everyone is ready for the responsibility. I won't be forced into it just because the condom broke or I was raped. I certianly don't advocate abortion as a means of birth control; I have issues with late term abrtions outside the mother's health, but ultimately, that is not my choice. I can only decided for myself and others should be given the same consideraion in a suppossedly free country. Women have rights. We're not 3/5's, we can vote, we're equal and not submissive to the will of men who think they know everything. I'm not impressed that just because a man has a penis, I'm therefore deemed incompetent to know my own mind.

I can't stand this patriarhal, racist and bigoted society sometimes. But as long as I'm living here, my rights will not be usurped. I'll burn all my bras before that ever happens. There have been too many progressions made in the owmen's right's movement for some politician who wants to be President can fosake choice because it's not his own.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No one, as far as I can tell, has argued against condoms. If both the man and the woman protected themselves as much as possible and yet a pregnancy still occurred, then what? The "father" (since, in theory, the "mother" is planning to kill the child at this point) should at least have a say. And if not, he should he has the right to be justifiable angry over the woman's choice. I know I would. It would be nearly unforgiveable. So while it is The Woman's Choice, she should be just as capable of handling The Woman's Consequences. (And NO, I'm not talking about anything violent.)

• Members

bellcurve brings up a major point, and a major motivation for many of my beliefs, even if he was half kidding :lol:

We, as a world and society, are barely able to save the children who do get born. This is what I don't get about pro-lifers (no offense). We get so many things wrong in this world, and our population is so out of control that even in wealthiest coutnry in the world, there are homeless and starving. And you're concerned with killing kids before they are born? Priorities. All I'm saying. Let's worry about saving what we have before we save what could be.

• Members

My wife. who is obviously a woman laughed when I told her about this.

She said "this is not even an issue that we should base our votes on, health care (which does tie into this), terrorism, economy are all issues I care about. She and I both seem to think this platform is being used to discredit candidates from BOTH sides, a tactic used by both sides just to install hate into people. The law will not be overturned and shouldn't be.

I told my wife I wish that the two sides could come together and compromise. Why does everything have to be black or white, why can't we work together to form a solution.

Leave the ruling as it stands.

But limit the abortions per person so it is not being used as a birth control method. I am sorry, if a woman wants to have sex and does not want a baby....PROTECT YOURSELF. Same for a guy too.

Abortions should ALWAYS be legal in cases of rape, incest, peril to mother. No questions.

Late Term aboritions...ILLEGAL.

I feel three months in too long to wait. Abortions should be carried out in the first month to two months.

Just some of my ideas.

But I still think that while yes, it is a womans body, you would not be pregnant if it was not for the man...

• Members

This is ultimately why I cannot stand the pro-life rhetoric. If you're so damn concerned about life, then what are you doing about the ones who are already here? What are you doing about the babies who are thrown into our extremely flawed system who have severe developmental disabilities or drug addictions? What are you doing about the children who need constant care, but have no one to give it to them? What are you doing about the ones who go from home to home before they're thrown out on their asses once they're 18? I'd say unless you're adopting them left and right, which I highly doubt you're doing, spare me the bullshit.

It's rather interesting. I read this article a couple of months ago that addressed the blatant hypocrisy in the pro-life agenda. Basically, it was nurses talking about their experiences seeing these women protesting in front of clinics, but then showing up to have an abortion when they or their child have an unwanted pregnancy. Oh, it's perfectly okay for them to do it, but not anyone else? <_<

• Members

Preach the gospel.

It's as if people care more about the abstract than the children who are dying right now! Moreover, pro lifers argue that every "life" should be given a chance, but that takes emotional and financial means. Not every individual is capable of providing both and are then forced into welfare. But guess what? The conservative agenda wants to cut dollars on social programming. What gives?!

Furthermore, the death penalty is sanctioned muder. It's vengeance but conservatives don't bat an eyelash over that searing hypocrisy.

• Members

I just find it funny that men think they are omniscient and delegated by GOD HIMSELF to dictate what a woman should do.

A woman's right to choose is, believe it or not, FREE WILL, which is, GASP, a gift from the very GOD that they supposedly "quote directly" from.

Frankly, NONE of us know what the man upstairs has to say and will not until the day we see him personally. I will not let the bigoted, small minded judgment of zealots change my mind. A woman's right to choose is hers and hers alone. Men do not know the feeling of being with child or what goes in the mind of women who were raped/simply not ready to have a child.

I agree, late term abortions should be outlawed. That is one thing that is indisputable.

But to hide behind the bible as a reason to cover your own hatred of an action is inexcusable.

If this were the case, a bible thumping preacher could try and ban masturbation, because that too is an act "frowned upon" by God.

Very well said Keith.

• Members

JSF you and other pro-lifers are omeni presences who know about my life, my body, and my right to make decisions about my life then I do, and you think it's your job to control my reproductive health. K, so start. Since you know all...I'm switching birth control, which one should I switch too? Since you know if I have or haven't had reactions to certian pills, since you know how or if my cycle needs to be regluated, since you know my homone levels, and which method's best account for all that. Since you know of my finances and the avaiblity of all the birth control method's around me, you can make a far better decision then I ever could....bestow upon me, with your infinite wisdom, which birth control method is right for me. So which is it?

If you want and believe you should have contorl over my body, then take it. Show me that you know better then each individual person. You can't just believe that making and birthing babies is all there is to a woman's body, and what we have to go through to maintain it. If pro-lifers value life so much, then they really have me fooled. Always standing in the way of controceptives. Always blocking sex eductaion and awareness programs. Always yelling and screaming, betrating the teens down the street who are having sex (and will probably make one of the babies who will end up being aborted) rather then sitting them down, asking, answering questions, offering advice, etc. Pro-lifes think the answer to the problem is to stop abortion.

But then what will happen to all the babies who are born, and murdered after they're born by the parents who don't want them? Just because you might tell someone they legally can't abort a child, won't stop them from ending that child's life, if they don't want it. You're trying to stop a problem after it's already become a problem, rather then preventing the problem at the soucre.

Me, I'm trying to stop it before it happens. I brought my brother a box of condom's when he turned 16. I gave him a book, and a video, and told him that sex isn't bad, but bad things happen when you don't know what you're doing. So know what he's doing, and there's nothing to worry about. My brother told his friends, let them read the book, watch the video (which was lame, but still informative), and they told people, etc. So while they're all probably having sex, I have no doubt that they're doing it safely. Which means, that's at least 10 (my brother's good friends) less abortions.

One step at time.

• Members

No offense to women, but I really hate the "it's my body" debate.

It is so one-sided and really makes women look more selfish than they really are.

But, if thats the battle cry...why don't you WOMEN protect YOUR body from pregnancy if you DO NOT want a child?

I mean if you are out having sex, and you know you do not want to have a baby...it is not the man's responsabiilty to protect you..it is yours.

If you play unsafe you pay. I mean, isn't that right?

So instead of using the whole its my body excuse, and that is what it is, why don't the women step up to the plate to prevent this from even being an issue?

If it is YOUR body, YOUR decison, then it is YOUR job to protect YOURSELF?

But this is what I can not stand. The whole "my body" crowd will not come to the table to work on solutions and neither will the anti-abortion side....so what do we get? A bunch of stubborn people who refuse to work on a problem like mature adults and instead use hate and smear tactics to promote their way or the highway approach. Just plain adbusrd. (BOTH SIDES)

• Members

Much like I'm responsible for the people I let inside my house, women should be responsible for the penises they let inside theirs. Afraid of the Big Bad Baby? Refuse to go on the log ride.

I'm still pro choice. I just wanted to play Devil's advocate.... and say "log ride."

Archived