DAYS: Friday, Feburary 2

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't understand the whole budget thing, where is it coming from? That's the reason why all these actors are getting fired but why not feature the ones you have on payroll? Besides aren't actors on contract paid whether they are on or not?

And I wouldn't call all fans fickle. Like I said, DAYS was kicking it on all gears until a few weeks ago when the Nick become front and center with Shelle. And I shouldn't have to understand the circumstances behind things going on at DAYS right now. They have had their fair chance of fans on the whole giving them an opportunity (for years, particularly during Higley and JER's last tenure). How patient are fans supposed to be?? Hogan has been on for a good enough time as well. Headwriters come on and turn shows around and leave their mark. Like ChrisB said, the first few months of a HW's tenure is usually their strongest. Michael Malone came in and brought a "storm of change" on OLTL in what 02 I think it was and it worked wonders for the show. DAYS has needed a storm for some time now but it just isn't happening. Hogan has done a lot of good for the show, but the good is all small and more character interaction/"feel" focused, the kind of stuff that should compliment awesome storytelling, which is what DAYS is lacking IMO.

I don't think it is all about J&M either. The exits of Austin and Carrie were ridiculous and so was Lexie's. Abe has not reacted to the possibility that his son's mother may be dead? I understand that they left on bad terms, but some sort of reaction would have been nice. Seriously if Abe was on during this past week, along with Celeste showing some type of remorse, fear or some type of investigation the episodes would not have been that bad. The Shelle storyline kind of sunk a little for me when Victor was completely taken out of the equation. Agreeably though, it is Phillip's fight not Victor's (though it is still weird that they have not even mentioned Phillip's unborn child, which could be a son to carry on the Kiriakis name).

The budget excuse really just seems as that, an excuse and regular viewers who don't visit soap boards don't know about the lagging budget. Aside from that they have just hired new people as well. So viewers are now going through this, well their are quite a few new people on, they're on a lot and nothing much is going on. Not much going for the show there.

Anyways, I just hope next week is a better one for DAYS. The show needs a jump start.

• Members

Yes.

Another website (TBTSNBN) reported that the show is so broke that they can't afford to use the vets or bring John out of the coma.

I don't believe that for several reasons.

For one thing, Drake's gonna get paid either way. Whether he's walking around Salem or laying in a coma, he gets paid the same. Every person on contract has a guaranteed amount of episodes that they'll get paid for, even even if the show doesn't use them for that number of episodes. They get paid anyway. That's the difference between contract status and recurring status, where you're paid only as often as you're used. The majority of people know this -- they're just choosing to blindly "believe" the report's authenticity because they need something to b!tch about (many on another board were upset about the possility of Matt Ashford being re-hired when the show supposedly didn't have enough money to work Drake).

People need to quit going around, spouting off that Corday is flat broke as if it's fact when it's anything but. If Corday needed to save money, he would fire Drake rather than make Hogan leave John in a coma, because comatose or not, Drake's getting paid the same. 1 + 1 = 2, people.

Personally, I haven't missed Drake in the least. He's been a complete joke since 1999. He even manages to ruin voiceovers. John and Marlena were my favorite couple in the 90's, but I'm ready for the show to kill off John and bring back Craig Wesley to pair with Marlena. Imagine Nancy fighting Marlena for her man! Could be fun...

• Members

Thank you Ridge about the budget issue.

SOMEONE MUST answer this question.

WE need a definitive answer. Because I've always heard that the money was figured out in the contract too, and actors are paid whether they air or not, or they're guaranteed a certain number of episodes a week under that amount of pay. If that's true, then budget cuts aren't the reason for the absence of certain vets. It may just be that JM and Bope have to spread their airtime out for the year, and the head writer knows more about that than we do -- otherwise, if I'm right, they'll run out of episodes in which to appear, and then the producers WOULD have to shower them with more money for overages.

But again, somebody with knowledge, PLEASE settle this score, once and for all!!!

• Members

Exactly!

It's entirely possible that they've planned a huge story for John/Marlena and Bo/Hope this year, in which they're going to be featured heavily, and they just don't want to use up all their episodes now. Some people just think that their favorite character/couple need to be featured 5 days a week, all year long. Put 'em on the backburner for a month and it's the end of the motherfuckin' world. This is a soap opera, folks. It's not "The Bope Show" or "The J/M Hour of Scrumpin'." And it really pisses me off that some people think Matt Ashford has no place on Days just because J/M aren't up our asses first. How dare they! This show doesn't BELONG to one fanbase. Couples fans... I swear. People who watch soaps just for one character or couple get on my [!@#$%^&*] nerves. IT WILL NEVER CATER TO YOU! Accept it. Get over it. The backburner exists... it happens. There's no point in jumping to idiotic conclusions after just a few weeks of the backburner. Far too early to cry foul, IMO.

I'll wait and see where it goes from here. I'm not about to start jumping to conclusions -- especially ones that make no logical sense.

• Members

EXACTLY.

I don't mind people being critical but it's not like we have not seen other characters. Yes, the last two weeks have been dominated by the young set but it hasn't been consistently like this the past few months so I'm cool with it as long as it doesn't last 2 months or so. That rumor about Bo/Hope and John/Marlena makes no sense and that is partly what makes my blood boil because it makes no sense to me. People are going after the show for bringing on newcomers when that has nothing to do with this. I mean, only Nick and Willow are contract. The rest are recurring (don't know about Jed yet). I also think that Drake being off has been for other reasons to, something alot of people never cite (although it really shouldn't be based on what did transpire).

People can complain that the show has been slower, which it has. However, you can't always have what happened in December. Not every month is going to be like that. The first few weeks of January were good. It was only this week where things slowed a bit. People expect way too much. The only complaint I have is the lack of play with Abe and Celeste. We need some reactions scenes to what happened with Lexie. I hate that they didn't play that out more recently but, other then that, I am content. Is the show perfect? No but it doesn't deserve to be torn apart like it is by many (not alot on SON but in general). I know fans have been burned in the past but some are being far too hard on Days. The show has been good for the most part so one would think people would cut it some slack right now after a good November and a great December. I guess that isn't the case but not everyone is going to be happy, especilly Days fans. There are always some Days fans that aren't happy and I have already accepted that years ago.

• Members

Thanks for posting that.

It burns me every time some idiot brings up these rumors about budget cuts when they don't even apply based on contract negotiations! It's ridiculous.

On another note, if they really want to tighten up the budget, since Drake has always spouted off about how he's such a "team player" and would take a pay cut if asked, MAKE HIM TAKE A FREAKIN' PAY CUT ALREADY! It makes no sense that he probably gets paid the same still. When an actor says they're willing, TAKE THEM UP ON IT! DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH.

• Members

I'm astonished to read some of the stuff said in this thread!

Where did all this stuff about buget cuts an the fate of Days come from?

So what if the some of the newer actors have been dominating air time lately? Quite frankly, Sami, Lucas, Chelsea, Nick, Belle, Shawn and the relevant parties have a stronger storyline at this time. I wouldn't for a second believe that this means John, Marlena, Bo, Hope etc are going to be exiting the show or that Days can't afford to keep them!

The show is miles better than it was say, six months ago! It's moving somewhat slower than when Hogan first took over ... but the man can't reach perfection everytime!

Archived