DAYS: Friday, Feburary 2

• Members

Uhm... nowhere did I mention Bo, Hope, John or Marlena. I know that they are not the end all for DAYS. Kate, Sami and Lucas are literally IDLE in their scenes. There is no storyline for them here. They discuess the same thing over and over again, "Oh how could you be such a hero", "Oh yes we will try to be friends". They are merely background noise for the Shelle storyline. And for your information I am a fan of DAYS, not specific characters. Balance is the key to good DAYS not showcasing a single storyline with new actors portraying the parts! nuShawn and Belle have not been the focus of the show for over 8 years. If DAYS is trying to get new viewers or get back old viewers, they are not going to be able to connect to these characters. Again, I am not saying that they need to be shut out or not there, but there should be some balance with the old and the new. And the old is not only John, Marlena, Bo or Hope (or Steve and Kayla for that matter). Sami and Lucas and Kate's storyline needs to progress instead of sitting idle and EJ needs to stop making silly remarks at the end of each episodes that sound dramatic without cause. Shelle are not going to carry this show, they couldn't before and having them completely on all over is not going to work. I'll also say it again... if this was another HW i'm sure they'd be slammed right now. Just b/c this is Hogan doesn't make it OK.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You've been bringing up the absense of "the big four" many times these last two days.

And it doesn't matter if Hogan is writing them or not. The show is great again, for the first time since very early in 2003. And Shelle is a big draw lately for viewers, it has come a long way from Kristen Storms and Jason Cook's version. Martha Maddison has been Belle for nearly 3 years now, she is recognizable, and a hit with the bulk of the audience. Jay K Johnson is not new either. Only one role in this story is a recent recast.

On the subject of viewers, Days is certainly not turning them away - but the show knows it is done in 2009. The head of NBC himself has said so. So, instead of gimmicks upon gimmicks trying to bring newbie viewers, the show seems to be concentrating on just producing a good show. Good writing, good stories, good couples to invest in will bring in viewers. Gimmicks, rehashing tired old plots with the same players, this is something left better to ABC and General Hospital.

• Members

OMG.

I'm watching right now on SoapNet.

Kate's line to Sami...

"I told you, other shows are interested in your story, Sami. Remember? I told you NBC called..."

RoFL! Apparently the b!tches aren't too damn interested.

• Members

Wrong dude. Check the posts again :). It's people that are referencing the "big 4" when people speak about those that are not on now. People automatically assume that the big 4 are the vets of this show but familiarity doesn't have to be all about them and not once did I say that. Afte rall, weren't John and Marlena off for like 2 months? There wasn't a Shelle overload or Nick and Chelsea overload (well Nick wasn't there, but whatever), then was there? Why can't there be balance like that? I also agree that DAYS is great again, I've been praising it for months now, but this is unfair to expect viewers to just instantly watch the show for them alone, that to day after day. Jay is new, he hasn't been on the show for over what 4 years? Or even longer. In fact I missed most of his run because it was the horrible teen era. And I don't see Shelle being a big draw for viewers. The ratings didn't go up. Neither were nominated in pre-noms from the show, despite having big storylines all year long... And again, let them be a big draw, but have their storyline progress. This runaway storyline is so stagnant and partially unrealistic. There is no adventure to it, IMO, Belle and Shawn seem so helpless, feeble and quite frankly, like they don't know what they are doing. They are afraid of Phillip.

And regarding the concept of knowing that the show is over... shouldn't that be more reason to progress storylines quicker and having good storylines to please fans more? I've been saying that for weeks now too but many believe that DAYS will go on after 2009. Having storylines on one core group is not producing a good soap, neither is not having cliffhangers, and having storylines sit in the gutter for months and months after end. Steve's past has been a lame duck that it feels like when it is actually revealed it will not be worth the hype (though I doubt that). And production at DAYS can never be good IMO until those stupid special effects are completely gone. But, I do agree that DAYS is such a better soap now! It's just that if it is going to go out with a bang it should be trying much harder.

Oh.. and I also love Nick and Chelsea :), just not the Nick and Chelsea show...

• Members

Today was the first time Rachel has truly won me over. Chelsea has never had a bonafide fight the cry off moment. She showed she could not only bring the tears but bring them and keep them at bay. That takes a lot. Trust me - I know. Her revealing to Belle that she admires her is so great considering how little they've shared screen time, but it's obviously also a parallel to the 'perfect people' in Chelsea's life.

• Members

Rachel Melvin was so good. Talking to Belle about how she wants to be like her, then Belle replies that she only has five dollars to her name and she's on the run, why would anyone want to be like her? Then Chelsea replies, with tears in her eyes, that everybody loves Belle.

They're really, really making me LOVE Chelsea. She didn't work at all as a bad girl, IMO. So, as a "grey" character like she is today, she's fantastic.

And I'm loving her with Nick! Those two are BEYOND adorable.

• Members

I've been watching Days Of Our Lives since Santa Barbara went off the air 14 years ago...

I tuned out of the show over the past few years because JER made it extremely ridiculous, embarrasing and painful to watch.

Recently, though, I started watching again...and actually thought of SON while I was watching today's episode (on TIVO) and have to say...WHAT A DIFFERENCE this show has become. I am so happy of the direction that DAYS has taken, from acting, writing, cast members, sets....I hope this show can survive the harsh daytime envioroment for years to come!

Archived