ALL: Which soap should I replace AMC with?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Let's see....

GH-HELL NO...I quit that SOAPranos wannabe....and stopped screaming at my TV.

GL- Never really watched.

YR- I try, I REALLY try to get into this soap...but its just BLAH....its lighting, sets..I don't know...BLAH!

Passions-it's funny...but no

OLTL- never seen it

ATWT- Ok...watched this off and on through the 90s and started watching about 2 yrs ago...its really hit or miss...I really have no opinion on this one....I dont like the character of Carly, and she tends to dominate, so I stopped watching.

BB- Watched off and on too...if you want to see the same SL OVER AND OVER..Brooke and Ridge...yada yada yada....Stephanie and Brooke....the problem with this soap is that it has the SAME family dominating the whole city of Los Angeles (which is REDICULOUS because LA is sooo diverse- I live there). They have a good cast, but overuse the SAME people.

Which leads me to DAYS...

If you would of asked me a year ago, I would of had a different opinion. This past 6-7 months have been great! I started with Days, so it's sentimental to me, but I also know that the writing makes sense, the characters are actually smart, and they have GREAT cast intregration. Vets have front- burner story lines. There's some action and lots of history. But I think best of all...Days does romance like no other....sometimes you just want that...a good old fashion soapy romantic couple...and Days has plenty.

I would also check out Days sites for the history, but Days is pretty consistent. My mom used to make fun of me saying that the same characters have been no TV forever, while her "novelas" only lasted 6 months...I told Mom that's why I love Days!

DAYS ROCKS!!!

Liz

• Members

I gave up GH this month and AMC this week (for the same reason as you) and I gave up ATWT a month ago. The only soap I'm still watching regularly now is Ryan's Hope. At least I know it will be good even if the episodes are 30 years old.

• Members

Well of course every fan is going to say there show. DAYS is on a creative upswing but I find it quite dull.

My main shows are Y&R/ATWT/GH.

No offence, but since you'd be a new viewer to Y&R I think you'd enjoy it a lot. Because lately, a lot of ABC fans have been jumping ship over here and liking it. Just saying. The production values, directing, and acting is pretty top notch. But I'll admit that the stories are less than desireable lately. But I think some of them are hitting a climax, and coming to an end in the coming weeks.

Since you already recognize ATWT, I guess giving it another shot wouldn't be quite bad. What's her name...

is joining the show, and since she's worked on ABC before you may like her. The teen set is pretty strong too.

I gather you already watch GH, so you know what's happening.

Personally, I'd give each show a week (or 2/3 days) to see if you like it or not, and then you can decide for yourself. That way you should be able to see what stories are featured, and whether or not they catch your attention. :)

BTW, I echo your thoughts on Kim Zimmer. :)

• Members

My recommedation in this order:

1) Y&R - not hit or miss lately IMO - very good

2) GL - very definitely on an upswing

3) ATWT - definitely getting better

4) Days - I agree with Dru that right now it is dull even though it is lots better than it was, but right now it is the show to me that is hit or miss IMO

5) B&B - nice show but very definitely hit or miss but still worthy of recommendation

• Members

I gave up on AMC & ATWT in Sept 06 & B&B in Nov 06. I agree with with u, DavidsMuse, that Y&R is currently the best American daytime drama. The 2nd best, or at least the next one worth watching the most is GH.

If u agree with the following mantras of Bradley Bell.....

1. Campyness rules

2. Gimmicks are to die-for

3. Repetitiveness is the new "hook"

4. Blood is thicker than water (More incest! More nepotism! More incest!)

5. Non-American viewers are the best kind (Love them Italians!)

6. The beds in L.A. must always be kept warm

.....and u like bottom of the gutter writing that sinks further into new lows, then B&B is the perfect choice for u!

I only watch 3 shows: OLTL, GH & Y&R. The rest can be cancelled & I wouldn't flinch. At this point, I'll probably never add another drama to my viewing roster, unless of course, a new drama debuts, but the chances of that happening are extremely unlikley. The other shows pissed me off way too frequently for me to ever go back. I did give OLTL a chance (after not watching anything at 2pm for about 2 weeks) but that's only b/c ATWT become cancellation-worthy & the show still is. So, it was a show swap b/w As The "Crappy" World Turns for OLTL.

• Members

I already watch DAYS. DAYS & ONE LIFE are my 2 fave soaps. I also watch GH. Should've clarified what soaps I do watch. Thanks everyone for the help. I may just give Y&R a try. I think I will watch a week's worth of Y&R next week, then ATWT for a week. Then make up my mind after that.

• Members

Days or GL. I haven't really kept up with Days but I've been taping it and it's definitely a lot more interesting now than it was when I stopped watching 6 years ago. GL, though, has been really good lately. I'm not the biggest Kim Zimmer fan, either but that shouldn't be enough reason to ignore the rest of the show's fantastic cast.

Archived