ALL: Soap Moments that made you just shake your head

• Members

Soaps often slip into fantasy, comedy or lame attempts at social commentary. They are not famous for any of these things but they are just as important to the genre as the cliches "who's the daddy" or "she had an identical twin the whole time" stuff.

So, think back to a time when you were watching your favourite soap and all of a sudden realized that something was a completely amiss. I'm looking for those outrageous, laugh-out-load moments not the bashing of the biggest distasters ever. I don't want this thread to turn into another one of those "worst mistakes" thread that will inevitably get filled up with comments like "making Erica's fetus alive" or "making Kay Jill's mother" (I'm not saying those aren't valid beefs but they just don't fit with the intention of this thread).

So, lets launch into them. I hope we can create a list that will have us all laughing our a$$e$ off...

Here are some...

On DAYS in 1998 or something, a whole bunch of characters were in the hospital waiting room in a very dramatic scene when Roman referred to Sami as "his peanut" but it sounded so much like "his penis" that even the actors in the background couldn't keep a straight face. They aired the episode and it totally took away from the mood they were trying to create but was on-the-floor-funny.

Also on DAYS, the scenes leading up to the Coronation massacre where the soap "royalty" were introduced were cring worthy. Those one-liners were down right aweful.

Finally, on PC, the opening episode did little to make you care about the character Joe. He used a powerdrill to do surgery on Audrey and audiences everywhere couldn't dispend their disbelief. It was just that dumb.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The amc storylines from 2001-present, every storyline has made me shake my head. Standout stories that made me think the writers are typing chimps on crack are: erica in vegas with a bad wig, the tumor made johnny psycho, the undestructable ryan goes over the cliff with his motorcycle making everyone think he was dead, tramps R'Us(babe and kwak) invade and infect all of amc, erica ruins her marriage to jack for no apparent reason, the return of the 30 year old fetus josh, there are so many other stupid amc storylines but typing up this crap is making me ill.

• Members

Oh, we could do a post with bad soap kissers.

I still think John Black is the worst soap kisser out there. He breathes so loudly and back in the say when he kissed Hope/Gina a lot I swore their eyebrows would get interlocked.

A new horrible kiss champion might be the guy who plays Adrian Korbel on Y&R. The area above the lip but below the forehear (aka nose, eyes, brows, etc) are not supposed to be part of the lip lock. Same goes with the chin area.

Also, I vaguely Gilligans Island on ATWT where Simon and Katie constructed a coconut phone or something. Ouch.

• Members

An I don't know whats worst horrible storylines or favorite soap stars returning for no more than a month. Personally I don't like something sweet waved in front of my face only for it to be taken away just when I get a sweet tooth. Case in point Gh brought back anna, holly, laura, fans were loving it, and then they were gone just like that. I say don't bother bringing a fan favorite back if you have no intention of letting them stay long-term, unless it will work within a storyline that is currently going on but in most cases that rarely works.

• Members

Greta and Austin fall through an imaginary hole in the Von Amberg castle, causing them to float down like Alice through the rabbit hole in "Alice in Wonderland," only to land in a virtual reality Garden of Eden, where they were wearing only leafs for clothing and the sky rained hot baby oil. While there, they encounter many evil beings... a talking snake... an evil demon girl... a barbaric man made of stone with Curtis Reed's face... a floating "witch" Sami Brady, whose bottom half was missing and replaced with a huge spinning blade... and to top if all off, the hills in the background glowed warm hues of purple, red and green.

Of course... Days of Our Lives. Thank Tom Langan, everybody!

• Members

I totally agree with Kenny.

The Virtual Garden of Eden is the DUMBEST STORYLINE in the HISTORY of Daytime Drama.

For the first time ever, I questioned whether or not to keep on watching DAYS OF OUR LIVES and my interest in the show hit an all-time low and nearly made me quit watching.

I also could not help but feel SOOOO bad and embarassed for Austing Peck and Julianne Morris!

• Members

On Y&R it had to be the mini-story with Paul talking about his flatulence problem. This was back in the either the late 80's or early 90's. I mentioned it yesterday too.

ON Days several good ones have been mentioned but I will add to Stefano's recent return. To see Stefano laying there in that Oxygen tent in that bed and not even be able to speak was a big WTF moment. I didn't want Stefano to be raised from the dead but to see him like that so frail that he couldn't even speak was a big WTF and a big letdown for the great character I remembered. It was just as bad as JER having as the corpse that Tony talked to on the Island. Why oh why couldn't JER and Hogan left him in the urn that Brash & Cwikley put him in. At least he could be remembered as a great powerful man even though he was cartoonish at times.

On AMC even though I have only seen a clip of it and heard about it now it has to be the day that JR peed on Josh. I wish I had seen it in the whole context that day. But that has to be a moment when you shake your head.

• Members

Josh the walking wonder fetus, Kane-Martin. Not only did Greg Madden, abort, save and eight week fetus (no embryo, fetus), reimplant it , and have his wife give birth to healthy baby boy. He also managed to de-SOAR;s the fetus by ten years. Making him a young 25 rather then an old 35. Shake my head is an understatment. (I know you said not to, but sorry, this changed the face of daytime for me, I won't just not talk about it.)

THe whole Proteus thing on AMC was laughable too.

• Members

^ don't give that woman any ideas.

Does anyone remember the whole Dimitri saga on AMC? That whole thing turned into one big head shake. LOL They fired MN, so Dim died. Saw his body and all. They rehired him, and Alex was hiding Dim. MN left, and they "killed" Dim again, he walked into the sea. Then MN comes back, and Dim is alive again, but he didn't really walk into the sea like everyone thought, Charolatte Devane was holding him hostage. The whole thing spilled over into this big lame, Alex/Anna/Charolatte/Edmund/Dim/Adrian mystey sorta thing. Hunt Block even played a character involved in the storyline. And in the end, LMFAO, MN got fired again, so some faux Dim was cast, and then written off. That whole thing was a total head shake and "wtf" storyline.

• Members

There was some really bad stuff on AMC when Frons took over.

JR & his former girlfriend Laurie meeting up in cyberspace...they were talking online I think but then they did this cheesy sequence with them face to face in "cyberspace".

The entire What Women Want fantasy eppie. In fact alot of the early Fusion stuff was just truely embarassing.

To add to Kylie's comments about the Anna/Alex story, I had to shake my head at the absurdity of hired assassin Ilene Pringle pretending to be the producer of a reality TV show, Love Ship or something on Ryan's yacht, just so she could get plans of Wildwind from Gillian. We had to sit through an entire taping of Love Ship and it made no sense to do all that to find out about Wildwind.

Oh and "I don't need DNA, I have K-A-N-E".

Archived