GL: Tired Of The Show? Wheeler/Kreizman/Swajeski=Lost In Darkness

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

AntiNWO...you clearly haven't been watching GL lately or even looked into any of the other GL threads to see what people have been saying about it. It has been amazing for the past 2 weeks and like Steve said, other soaps are going to have a huge gap to fill if they want to be on equal footing with GL for that Outstanding Drama Series/Writing award for next year.

GL may be cancelled for any number of reasons but if you're talking about the show at its current state, your statements about "GL continuing to have the poorly executed & downright embarassing vision of E. Wheeler, D. Kreizman & D. Swajeski" is quite ignorant and nothing short of completely false.

• Members

As to David Kreizman's writing, I have always said it needs work. But I have to give him kudos for the set-up of the Tammy & Jonathan story. He has made the killings tie to almost every family on the show.

In the coming months the Lewis, Shayne, Spaulding, Cooper stuff is going to be so good as they fight one another. And having Harley's daughter in the car when Tammy was killed was brilliant too (even if I don't like the actress playing her). It will be interesting to watch Gus try to bring down his dad, and protect Daisy at the same time.

It will be a big umbrella story that is rightfully deserving to two of it's biggest young stars exits.

As to the SORASing thing brought up in this thread, I hate SORASing but I don't find the SORASing here any worse than when the great Irna Phillips took two babies born in 1952 and 1953 and had them as married teens to one another by 1960 - just 7 & 8 years after they were born. And it is no worse than what is going on with every soap these days. Unfortunately it is part of soaps that has been around for years.

Kriezman & Wheeler are working wonders with the budget they have to work with. As I said in the thread about Y&R yesterday, the soaps we knew are gone because of budgets and just the state of the networks these days. We each have to decide if we like the show of today enough to keep watching it. GL is not as good as it once was - but neither is any show out there. I used to be the world's worst about comparing shows to the way they used to be. I've learned that they just can't be - things have changed too much.

Sure we can criticize what the show is currently doing and I see things that can be worked on and improved, but to just simply compare it to what it used to be and make the comparisons is wrong - simply because when the Dobsons or Long or others were writing and producing the show - they had a lot bigger budget to work with which allowed them better sets, a bigger staff, etc. Wheeler and Kreizman did not put the show in the ratings dump - it was their predecessors. And they have come in and stabilized the ratings - even bringing them up higher than what some of their predecessors were able to do. The quality is not always the best, but it is no worse than any other show out there. And to me that is pretty impressive since they most likely have the smallest budget in daytime.

• Members

GL has a habit of turning rapist into heroes:

1. Roger Thorpe. Involved in the best rape SL ever depicted on American TV.

2. Josh Lewis. He raped Amanda Spaulding but she forgave him and they became friends.

3. Jonathan Randall. If Tammy would have known they were cousins especially first cousins, I don't think she would have consented to having sexual intercourse with him. She forgave him & fell in love with her first cousin. Last time I checked, Springfield was not B&B/L.A. & it's beds don't always have to be kept warm.

In many ways, over the past several years, GL has turned into B&B. :o Glory days of GL, where art thou? :angry:

• Members

And how is this different than any other soap on the air right now? General Hospital has Luke Oltl has Todd who Dool has Jack and if I had time to really think about I'm sure I could come up with one for the rest of them too. If you are going to use these as examples of why guiding light is bad then you must not watch the other soaps either. GL is no where near perfect but has had a nice turn around and was in my opinion the best soap to watch for the month of January.

And I know there are alot of people who are convinced that this is the last year for GL, but I'm not, I think it has a couple of years left in it, and I look forward to it. :D

• Members

Excellent points.

OLTL have more criminals running around town that have never been convicted that almost any soap on the air. And I love OLTL but that is one of my biggest problems with the show. No one on there ever pays for their crimes. Right now running around town that either got off early or never paid for their true crimes that I can remember are: Dorian, Lindsay, Asa, RJ, - just to name a few. They never get caught and there is always some excuse found by the writers so they can keep them on or get them off. And then of course you have reformed rapist Todd running around town.

Days is about to add another one because you know they will reform EJ.

So no GL is not worse than any others.

Archived