AMC: The Loss Sense Of Grandeur; Fire SFMC

• Members

Think back to the golden eras of AMC. Times have changed and one thing stands out: What AMC is missing is a sense of grandness. An air of larger than lifeness. Think back to the first & second golden age of AMC (late 70s/early 80s & the early 90s). Thanks to A. Nixon, W. Washam & F. M. Behr, we witnessed the wealth of the Cortlands and Wallingfords (juxtaposed against the financial stuggles of the Nelsons and Santos). We had maids, we had butlers. For that matter we had maids and butlers falling in love (think the romance between Daisy's mom and Palmer's butler).

Now, the characters are more like everyday people, in a way. The sense of grandeur has been lost and everyone for the most part is on the same level field.

Not only did we have great actors, the sets themselves were a draw. When Ryan Lavery & Gillian Andrassey were in love, one would wait in anticipation for their next stolen moment on the Marrick grounds at the turret. When we had villains, we had them doing their villainous deeds "outside the box". Remember Ted Orsini going after Tad Martin on location in Canada? What about the private times Dr. Cliff Warner and Nina Cortlandt shared riding horses on her father's grounds?

Now we have Kendall Hart Slater living out of a townhome and her mom, Erica Montgomery, living in a shoebox. Could a trailer park be next up?

As much as we long for the talented, long-time actors to be brought back, I wish AMC would bring about a return of the fantastic sets of old - the Cortland Mansion and its expansive grounds, the Marick castle, and, yeah, let's see Phoebe's old haunting ground.

And can the Disney cam. Leave that for the Lizzy McGuire/High School Musical/That's So Raven teeny-booper crowd.

We are grown ups watching a format that was established more than 50 years ago and really it is odd that Brian Frons, Destroyer of ABC Daytime, and his cronies (McTavish & Carruthers) are tinkering with a formula that was working. We like our staid cameras, outlandish sets of old, as much as we like our Cortlandts, Dillons, and Martins, mixed with Chandlers and Santos.

The only way for AMC to be given back to the fans is to can SFMC (Sweeney, Frons, McTavish, Carruthers) & re-hire Agnes Nixon as HW.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As much as I would love to have old Aggie back as HW I doubt she'd come back. She had problems with the network during her last run, if I'm not mistaken. Also she's probably comfortable in her retirement.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I am LIVID about the destruction of AMC, a once great show! Anne Sweeney, Brian Frons, Megan McTavish & Julie Hanan Carruthers (SFMC) expertly carved out AMC's soul & continue to trash it with Zarf/Barf! Bianca is being written as a 1 note chatracter. Why'd E. Reigel return? Was she promised that McTavish would be leaving?

AMC used to be my FAV show. There is nothing on AMC that interest me. NOTHING. And I rarely watch any TV show just cuz of 1 storyline. I'll never forgive SFMC for what they did to Terri Ivens/Simone Torres & Julia Barr/Brooke English.

Nixon is not OK with UNabortion or Zarf/Barf. I'm sure her true feelings about it will never be made in public.

Susan Lucci would die before she publicly criticized SFMC! She has clout, she's a mainstream actress playing a mainstream character. But I guess her millions (Jewelry/Cosmetics line & other biz dealings) are more important to her. Lucci's appearance on Live With Regis & Kelly late Dec. '06 was too much for me! She was all smiles like everything is going well!

Michael Logan of TV Guide wrote: "AMC is risking big viewer turnoff with this landmark story-not because Zarf is a transgender but because she's an annoying, self-obsessed bore." WHAT THE HELL!? How arrogantly liberal of Logan to say this! He seems to know what every viewer/prospective viewer knows & likes!

Is there a competititon on who can sink their shows to the lowest levels? Cuz I think SFMC (AMC/OLTL) & PGP (ATWT/GL) are in intense competition mode. Who's leading thus far? PGP, by the narrowest of margins.

• Members

I would love to see Agnes Nixon return full-time. But it's not going to happen. She just turned 80 years old. While I'm sure she still has some great ideas in her, I think the daily grind would be too much. Plus she'd have to deal with all the corporate bs.

Archived