DAYS: SORASing/deSORASing

• Members

The de-SORASing of Dr. Mike Horton: If you take into account that Mike was an adult in the late 70s, he's surely into his mid-40s by now, however Roark Chritchlow (the last actor to portray Mike) was only in his late 30s (if I'm not mistaken).

The abnormal (even by soap standards) aging of so many characters has hurt DAYS. If you were to really think about it in the context of all its SORASed decendants, Alice Horton must be at least 110 years old! David Banning (Julie's son) got SORASed about the same time as Mike (I think) and was an adult in the late 70s (making him about mid 40s today). However, his son, Scotty Banning (with Trish Clayton) was also SORASed in the early 90s to his early 20s. The calender holding true to form, that would give Julie a grandson who's in his early 30s today (and conceivably being able to make Julie a great-grandmother!).

Has such instances as this (along with the more recent SORASing of Belle, Shawn-Douglas, Brady, and Phillip (supposed to be younger than Will Roberts), and the deSORASing of John Black) hurt Days? Yes, it has f***ed up DAYS!

TPTB always say that SORASing is needed to make stories more dramatic, but in DAYS' case, it's ridiculous. One day Belle is a 5 year-old at her mom's wedding, the next day she's 15? The same thing with Philip and Brady. I think it's a bit hard to take when you see a very young child actor on the show every day and then overnight they're a teenager. On the best daytime drama, Y&R's Nicholas Newman (played by the under-used Joshua Morrow) was born in 1988, but by by 1994, he had at least doubled his age. While it's still far-fetched, I think it's more accepted by the fans. If DAYS had done this with the current teens, it probably wouldn't have been as silly---especially when Sami's son Will and Jack and Jenn's daughter Abby are still age appropriate.

The one SORAS DAYS did that wasn't too bad was Shawn. He was born in 1986 (I think), so he would be about 21 this year. Of course, Hope was SORASED too, so if the show stuck to her true age, she would be just giving birth to him LOL! It just goes to show you SORASING is confusing!!!

1. Julie's son David Banning was born in 1967, but he'd run off and was falling in love with Valerie Grant in the late 70s (making him 10 or 11 at the time!)

2. Dr. Mike Horton was born in 1968, but he was a teen in a farm accident (which is how everyone found out that Mickey wasn't his father) in 1975 or 1976

3. Melissa Anderson was born in 1971, but she returned to Salem in 1982 as a teen-ager

4. Hope Williams Brady was actually born in 1974, but she was about to turn 18 in 1983/1984 (didn't Hope wind up older than Melissa at this point???? Of course, even more curious is that Carrie's stated birthday is now a few months before Hope's real birthday!)

5. Jennifer Horton was born in 1976, but she was a rebel teen in 1985

6. It was said that Nicholas Alamain was born in 1984, but how old was he supposed to be when Victor Webster played the part?(odder still was that I was always under the impression that Carly and Jennifer were supposed to be the same age because they'd been friends at boarding school. Jennifer sure didn't looked old enough to be Nicholas' mother the last time around!)

7. Sami and Eric Brady were born in 1984, but Sami was about 15 and causing trouble in 1982!

8. E.J. (aka Elvis Jr.) is at least 15 years older than his actual age (His mom is Susan Banks)

Of course, considering that both Dr. Mike Horton and Abby Devereux seem to be getting younger (she's about 3 yrs younger than her actual age), you really have to wonder what the hell Ken Corday, J. E. Reilly, Dena Higley, Peter Brash, Paula Cwikly & Tom Langan have been smoking. Is cartoon Stefano behind this, too, like he's behind EVERYTHING else?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sami was causing trouble in 1993, not 1982.

All soaps are pretty bad with their SORAS-ing, but yeah, DAYS does take it to the extreme occasionally. However, it's not the worst of their problems and not the worst fault they are guilty of.

• Members

Definitely not the worst of their problems :lol: SORASing can be annoying to some, but to the majorty (myself included), it's just one of those things that you roll your eyes at and continue to enjoy the story :) It's just DAYS!

• Members

I have seen much worse on some other soaps. For example Leah on GL was born in 2003 and was aged last year to 14 and was talked about even before that as being away at Boarding School. She is suddenly older then her two older brothers and the year she would of been born would have her dad married to some completely differenet then her mother.

• Members

I think Days is the absolute worst soap when it comes to SORASing. I have no problem with SORASing but HATE when its done out of order. If a kid was born in one year then he should ALWAYS be older than those born after him. Days really messed it up with the Teen invasion a few years back and still messing up as is the case with EJ

• Members

SORASing doesn't bother me in the least--except for when they aged Belle, Shawn, Phillip, Brady, and then they all took over the show and it went into the crapper. With that exception, I understand that they need all generations represented. Nobody is going to tune in to watch 7 year olds.

• Members

The late-90s was a bad SORAS period on Days, just due to the congestion of characters.

Meh...I know I am beating a dead horse with this line, but I still chuckle at a 13-year-old Shawn-D (played by Colin O'Donnell) carrying around a 5-year-old Belle, at the Brady Pub X-Mas party…then suddenly they grew up together.

Or…a 6-year-old Shawn-D visiting his baby cousin Brady at the hospital after he was born.

Then toss in Abby (who should be 2nd oldest after Shawn), Philip, and Will,and the messiness continues, along with the long lost SORA children of Salem (Chelsea/Georgia, Elvis).

But oh well. That is what makes Days...Days. :)

• Members

Yeah, Days has had a bad track record with kids' ages recently. Shawn and Abby are the least annoying in that respect. SORAS will always be a part of soaps but with proper planning it can be a whole lot less clunky than how things have been lately, IMO.

Archived