December 25-29, 2006

R!ck

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good job, DAYS. They went up as much as any soap did that week. They really deserve it. The Thursday of that week was....wow. INSANE!

As for PSNS? Yeah. Not surprised. They didn't get their annual holiday bump. Things are looking bleak.

• Members

LOL - you don't really need to understand statistics or the Neilsen method to figure it out. All you need to understand is that the daily ratings are rounded. For example this week AMC got 2.6, 2.6, 2.6 and 2.4 - since they were rounded that could mean the dailies were actually 2.55, 2.55, 2.55 and 2.35. If you add those up you get 10.0 and divide that by 4 days you get 2.5.

For ATWT (2.6, 2.4 and 2.3) rounded that could be 2.64, 2.44 and 2.34 which equals 7.42 and divided by 3 days = 2.47 which rounds to 2.5

• Members

Great job Days!

Tuesday, December 26 - 2.9

Max and Mimi grow closer; Abby finds and frees Max and Mimi; Clay Aiken offers Steve and Kayla a private concert in exchange for a ride to the airport; Lucas suggests a skiing holiday to Sami; Nick and Chelsea spend time together.

Wednesday, December 27 - 2.6

Patrick pulls a gun on Hope and forces her to leave with him; Bo goes in search of Hope; E.J. jams John's radio transmission to Roman; Chelsea, Abby and Nick watch the excavation at the church; Sami and Lucas get stuck in a blizzard on their trip.

Thursday, December 28 - 2.6

E.J. forces John to call Roman and lie; John tries to get E.J.'s gun; Tek jumps into Lexie's car as she heads to meet Abe; Patrick takes Hope to an abandoned warehouse; Bo tries to rescue Hope; Sami seeks help after the cabin roof collapses.

Friday, December 29 - 2.7

Roman arrives at the scene of the shooting; Lexie lies to Roman; E.J. holds Sami at gunpoint; Bo finds Hope in labor and Patrick at her side; Patrick tells Bo and Hope that Bo is the baby's father; Steve and Kayla celebrate with Benjy and Sonia.

• Members

I am glad Days went up. I was expecting more but any bump nowadays is good. I remember last year the week between Christmas and New year's had little to no gains and we were all surprised because that was usually the big week for gains and then the first few weeks of the New Year got some big numbers. Of course, soaps were doing some big things like Days killing Zack and such so who knows. Last year, I remember alot of soaps did well on MLK day so we'll see. In a way I like small bumps because those are easier to sustain then big ones usually.

As for Passions, I feel bad for them because last week was their best week in probably at least 6 months. King is right-the fact they got no bump for that is bleak because usually Passions young audience tunes in big time while off from school. At least they didn't decrease though.

Glad for all the soaps that went up. Looking forward to seeing demos and the other numbers.

• Members

How many years ago was that, though? While daytime television has changed a lot since they were able to get those numbers, people's lifestyles have changed as well. Maybe more people are still working during the holidays, maybe they are going out doing boxing week shopping, etc. I don't think you can attribute the low ratings solely on what's happening to the medium.

• Members

There was still evidence of the holiday effect increasing ratings as recently as the 2004 Christmas ratings. So the argument that people are traveling and working and other lifestyle changes doesn't ring true. It's not like women suddenly started working in large numbers in the last two years. I think it goes back to the treatment of long term viewers. Once that bond is broken it is hard to get them back. I suepect that is part of DOOL's problem. The trust is broken.

• Members

Very very well said. I think it is the biggest problem with the whole daytime industry.

The soaps for years have been ticking fans off and letting them down. It is going to take forever to get many of them back even if they ever do.

ABC has been ticking off viewers all year long, and even though I see every show making changes right now for the better many fans are not going to come back too quickly.

Passions has been letting fans down for awhile now with no payoffs. Many of them even if payoffs begin to happen soon are not going to come back too quickly.

Days problem to me started when they told the older fans esp. that they cared more about the younger fans back when Langan was producer. They backburnered everyone and put the teens front and center. They got the demos they wanted and said FU to the rest. So many older viewers quit then. Some came back during the SSK story only to watch their beloved vets be killed off and then everything went south with the Island. It will take a long time to get some of them back - if they ever do.

ATWT is starting to really tick people off. Under Hogan there were always his favorites and they got all the airtime but people fussed and tolerated it. The problem is still there. People are tired of it - beyond tired of it. Hogan's faves are still dominating the screen, but now the stories are so slow that it is really hurting the show. I am really surprised their ratings went up this week. They are going to start to lose viewers and if they come back will have to be seen in how soon CBS decides to fix the problem.

• Members

I'm glad that Days went up in the ratings and I hope they either maintain their numbers or go up even more because it has been an exciting.Hogan is doing a fantastic job writing the show and I like Marlena being a strong woman and not a woman that has to be rescued all the time.

• Members

First of all I am surprised ATWT went up. It was horrible last week. Jean P. and Chris G. should be thankful because they didnt derserve those ratings. I am not even happy about the increase. If the CBS excecutives dont see ATWT needs changes I dont know what kind of ratings will. A 2.3(on Wednesday) and 2.4(Thursday) dont classify as acceptable ratings. Btw...after looking at the preliminary ratings it sure looked like ATWT would rank #7 in HH and not #5.

I thought for sure Days would go up way more.

And it looks like Nu-Sheila was a bust! I am surprised no one has mentioned that.

Archived