DAYS: Soapnet has an online video interview with Hogan!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Reilly was the one who, IIRC, refused to meet the actors, supposedly had a temper tantrum when faced with viewer complaints about the awful writing, and made the show's whole canvas and take on the human condition subscribe to his weird interpretation of Catholic dogma. Dialogue, adult behavior, have never been his strong suits.

• Members

While I watched Days in the '90s too and enjoyed some of the stories, he is not a genius to me and never was. What's the use of a huge story if you don't know how to tell it? He rarely has in my eyes, and I think he fears the future by trying to preempt it in his storytelling, by trying to always go for the shock for fear that he may be left behind. It's interesting to me that in Sheffer and Reilly you have two similar men with big egos and ideas and yet the output is so totally different.

• Members

Firing Reilly was the smartest thing NBC and Corday ever did. He was running the show into the ground, with outlandish plots and rehashes of old storylines. The ONLY good thing from this past tenure was Zacks death, and the performances of Peter and Kristian, although it could have been told over a longer period of time before the horrible Hatrick sex.

Sheffer saved ATWT and made it must see. He will do the same for Days. That interview sealed the deal for me. Its one thing to see words in print, but to see him say it on video, its much more reassuring.

• Members

He IS a genius. Let me point you to Carly buried alive, Marlena's possession, Carrie/Austin/Lucas/Sami, Gina/Hope, KRISTEN BLAKE. JER is a master storyteller and he brought in the ratings big time in the 90s, and again with the Salem Stalker storyline. It's when Corday started to interfere that Days went downhill. The genius of the satire that is Passions is proof positive of his genius. Passions is auteur television, and only a small minority are smart enough to appreciate it. That's why the show has low ratings---most people with a Nielsen box are just average, and Passions demands an above-average audience intelligence.

My theory is JER decided to sabotage Days once Corday started bossing him around, because there's no way Days got to the way it was by accident. And I applaud JER for doing that. Serves Corday right for interfering in the stories. IMO, JER wrote the Stalker story with two possible outcomes, one of which was bringing everyone back from the dead, and spineless Corday forced him to go that route, which he didn't want to do. Then Corday forced him to tell "realistic" stories which is not what he or the Days audience wants, and that's how everything got so damn boring.

• Members

Sorry...I didn't get past Shawn and Belle go on the run! Can I hide my excitement? I so can't...EEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeee! :)

This fall it looks like Days will have my attention.

I also have to add that the only perfect thing that Sheffer can do for me is end Abe and Lexie...I never understood why they were together anyway.

• Members

The most on point thing Hogan said in that video was that it was very important to bridge the gap from when the show was last told as a traditional adult soap opera, and "something that went in a different direction." Reilly took over in the early '90s and his schtick and camp dominated the show for over ten years! That is what Days has become identified with, and IMHO what helped ruin it. Sure, people know it, but they know it as camp.

I liked a lot of those stories, but the writing for the adults and the dialogue was never very good. The Possession was famous, but hilarious. The Salem Stalker was famous, but disastrous to me and it drove fans away, so much so that NBC had to intervene on the man who they had given a free pass to do what he liked. If Reilly was forced to rewrite that it was all his own fault in my opinion.

Somehow I don't think Marshall McLuhan or Monty Python would see it as auteur comedy tv. Passions to me is desperation full blown by a man who is scared he is not big anymore. I loved Dark Shadows, for example, and tuned in to Passions when it began to air in the hopes of something in that vein. What I got was a show that I might have liked as a kid but was just dumb as an adult, at least in my eyes.

It's all well and good if Jim Reilly and Ken Corday have a personal vendetta offscreen, but you're forgetting about the show and the audience. Why do we deserve a show that is intentionally sabotaged? What did I do to Jim Reilly?

• Members

The only good thing about JER being only at Passions now is that he can make it DESTROY Days in the ratings and show Corday which show is better, and not to mess with him. Ever.

Days isn't camp. Passions is camp. Days is gothic. And you can't say that JER's direction wasn't popular or a much-needed shot in the arm. He saved Days back then.

Archived