New Primetime Soaps

PJA

• Members

MyNetworkTV aired their premier party tonight. It was a lot better than the "Desire Revealed" and "Fashion House Revealed" that has been airing on my affiliate all weekend. The big surprise was the bits of the other novelas that were shown. "Watch Over Me" got a pretty good introduction but it was nothing new. The clip is probably what was used at the upfronts as the only people featured in it were Dayanara Torres, Marc Menard and Todd Cahoon. I presume due to Sean Young's departure there was little of "Art of Betrayal" they were able to show and definitely not a long segment. There was a bit with Maria Conchita Alonso slapping her daughter and Scott Bailey and Julissa Miro meeting at a ball of sorts and then later in the shower together. There was probably "Rule of Deception" stuff in there too but none of the actors are very memorable as is the same with "Art of Betrayal". If Gordon Thompson was on I missed it.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Desire? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. The only thing I liked was the sexy Juan Paublo from AMC.

Fashion House? Very promising! You can tell the writing (and some of the acting) isn't as good as our daytime soaps, but this looks like campy fun. Bo Derek and Morgan Fairchild will be must see TV.

Watch Over Me - I didn't stick around for the preview, but I do plan on watching as it has Catherine Oxenberg and Casper Van Dien.

Art of Betrayal - I'll check it out to see Gordon Thompson and Tatum O'Neal.

I can't wait to see the first day of ratings for these on Wednesday. It'll be interesting to see how they hold up over a week. I don't expect anything, so we'll see...

• Members

I plan on watching both "Desire" and "Fashion House" as well. I think "Desire" will be appealing to those who like action-adventure shows. It also reminds me a little bit of "The Sopranos". "Fashion House" blends the campiness of "The Bold and The Beautiful", "Dynasty", "Melrose Place", and "Models, Inc." Personally, I don't really care that much about bad acting. What appeals to me about ALL of these upcoming telenovelas is that they promise a faster pace along with gripping, more edgy, and hardcore drama that we don't see on their daytime counterparts.

• Members

I hate My46 Already! MyNetworkTV affiliate decided to air UPN sitcom reruns last night instead of the previews and block party. Son of a !@#$%^&*]es! Maybe they didn't want to spoil anything or get viewers confuse about the official switchover.

So, they had previews of the other telenovelas too?! GRRRRR!

I think the greatest thing about these telenovelas is that if they take off, networks will have to work overtime to provide original content year-round. I think it is interesting how MyNetworkTV isn't advertising itself as a network for soaps(because, obviously, mainstream audiences wouldn't be interested if it advertised itself as such), rather as a network for all new original programming five days a week and NO REPEATS. Although I must admit, MyNetworkTV's slogan(something along the lines of "A New Way to Watch TV") is such a blantant ripoff of SOAPnet's slogan.

But, I hope MyNTV gives CW a run for its money. I am already rooting for that lameass merger to fail.

• Members

The CW's schedule is built on a house of cards. Some of the shows on that channel are shows that have been on the air for five seasons or more. So those shows are near their end since they are no longer new. And then you have some on-the-bubble series that probably won't be renewed next year. Plus The CW only has two new shows on their entire schedule. And I'm pretty sure that The CW will get rid of more of the fan's favorites to make room for new shows next season.

UPN and The WB got rid of a lot of great TV shows in order to make The CW. I am still not happy about UPN's Half & Half and The WB's Everwood not being on The CW's schedule.

The CW may do okay this year but, I don't think they will have a good second year because that's when they will get rid of more TV shows that fans like.

Right now I think My Network TV is already ahead of The CW because fans will get a chance to see a complete series and they don't have to worry about it being canceled. That's going to be a huge plus for My Network TV.

• Members

About the ratings, MyNetworkTV is releasing the ratings on Thursdays for the week. So the reports will only be weekly. I guess they are being careful in case one nights ratings are really bad. Supposedly, the upfront money they've gotten is REALLY low, like 20 million. A lot of advertisers are waiting to see how the first month or so does before make any major deals.

The only preview of the telenovela they showed was "Watch Over Me". Dayanara Torres really didn't impress me. I do think though it's simply what they showed at the upfronts as there was only the love triangle featured no supporting players like van Dien and Oxenberg who you'd figure would be prominent in something like this. There was two or three montages where the stuff from "Dangerous Love" appeared. I loved Maria Conchita Alonso nailing her daughter.

The one thing I see holding MyNetworkTV back is that it isn't being shown in all markets on regular cable packages. That's what's going to hurt the first four novelas. I have a feeling things will pick up around April when everyone else is ending their season. The year-round thing is what's going to help out the network.

Archived