Empire: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I just finished watching and I agree. I think this might be one of the best episodes of the series. It was filled with character beats that actually made sense.

As much as I hated seeing Cookie all sprung for Laz this ep reminded me that she'd only been with two men in her life. It makes sense that she would have a blind spot. Also, everything about Cookie and Jamal in this episode was perfection. I'm sure there's a lot that can be said about Jamal running from the loft like a booty call but the whole thing was just so much fun.

Lucious and Mimi are a really interesting pair. I was surprised at how engaging I found them.

This is also the first episode of the season where I liked songs enough to want to buy them.

• Members

I haven't chatted much about the show this season, but I loved the episode. I need to marathon watch all the episodes (from this season) though because I haven't paid full attention to all of them. I did like the end with the threesome. Marisa Tomei has been great and I just loved everything about it. It was a good episode.

The problem now is that nothing's really happening. The first season was wham bam every episode with a lack of followup and development. Now the development is there but there's nothing really WOW happening to keep the momentum going. That's just how I'm seeing it. I haven't lost interest but I'm hardly glued to the screen like I was.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I found this episode a struggle to get through. I had to watch it in two parts. 

Something about season 2 is not working for me. Anika is being totally wasted, Rhonda's 'pregnancy' is not being dealt with at all, Jamal is very secondary, Cookie has been dumbed down and Lucius is getting some kind of sympathetic writing (JR Ewing didn't need redeeming and neither does he, bad to the bone and unapologetic about it!). 

It's as if the show ran out of steam. No surprise the ratings have gone down a bit. 

• Members

I agree with you DF.

I dunno that Cookie is being dumbed down. They still give her some ridiculously campy "bad-ass bitch" moments and a part of me thinks that she knows all about Laz but we'll see.

Only three episodes left until March and there's like zero momentum here. Where are the high stakes? Where's the drama?

I completey missed Becky's blink and you miss it love interest.

Cookie went from bitching at Porsha to them being besties (like they should be).

Jamal went from moody bitch back to the smiling happy Jamal who's just fine (and now working with again) Cookie.

I actually think Luicious has benefited the most from the writing. I don't think they're trying to prop him anywhere and I feel like he's more layered but he's definitely not the same from Season 1.

Agreed about Anika and Rhonda. They're both soooo wasted. Why don't we ever get scenes about how THEY feel? They're contract cast members, right? You'd never know it. I mean, Marisa Tomei and Mimi have gotten better scenes and development than these two this season combined.

Again, I haven't seen every second or all of the episodes, but clearly Anika will be pregnant by Hakeem and Rhonda really isn't pregnant, so ... boom, problem solved and it would give them both great [!@#$%^&*] to play. And Andre can go crazy after Rhonda's lies are exposed. It would be great stuff, especially with Andre so torn between his old lifestyle and his new lifestyle. I'm also not sure what they want to do with Andre either. I don't know that they're doing a great job with what I think they want to do with him.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Lucious.... Lucious... Lucious -- Trouble in paradise already with him and Mimi.

I love me some Andre --- so damn fine. Sad how much he wants his approval. Poor Andre.

I'm not surprised Anika is pregnant 0 saw that coming a mile away when Hakeem showed up at her porch when she returned from her run.

Is it sad that I forget that Rhonda is on this show until she makes a two minute appearance? Please tell me Anika is not trying to pass off this kid as Lucious' because I don't think they've had sex in however long.

I'm sorry that every damn time Cookie calls one of her sons boy, I get shades of Good Times and Michael telling the dad that Boy is a racist word. 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! They're still homies though?@! She better tell him, or Cookie gon' try to get all up in that a** after the baby comes.

• Members

For a moment there, I wondered if maybe Anika was going to try and seduce Lucious and then a little later on try to pass the baby off as his.  It looks like they may have her take a little of the "Fatal Attraction" route. It looks like she might end up losing it. Also, they have Rhonda showing a little bit now, but something still doesn't feel right about her pregnancy.

Overall, I really enjoyed tonight's show.  I thought that the best part was the bonding of the family members. Especially the Cookie/Jamal/Lucious scenes. I loved how Jamal dealt with Cookie/Lucious and how he ultimately bought them together. I love the family moments on this show, and no matter how much they fight, that they always end up uniting for something.

Edited by xtr

• Members

Vivica plays herself in each and every role.  

This is what should happen.  Instead, Anika will battle one teen for the honor of another teen?  WTF am I watching here?  

Anika is toast and that's a pity because she was a wonderful offset to ratchet Cookie.  

Luscious still makes me :)  IC remains a dumb ass!

Thank you!  Its high time someone said it!