Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Characters That Were Re/Cast with Perfect Actor, But Fizzled or Flopped

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#41 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 52,544 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:30 AM

I think part of the issue with Tina was the writing. I don't think Malone's writing for Tina was ever that fantastic, Karen Witter just played it better, she was warmer and funnier, and a little naughtier. Once Krista was in the role, Tina was just dumb and loud.

Dunaway as Alex would have been interesting, although I loved Joan in the role. I guess Conboy probably would have enjoyed working with her.

#42 SFK

SFK

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 17,575 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:36 AM

IIRC, Rauch rehired Dusay after Collins quit.  Then Dusay and Conboy were reunited when he came on as EP.  Conboy adored Dusay.  He hired her for Capitol when he could have gone in a more predictable direction.  He adored McKinsey too so it's an interesting coincidence that Dusay would replace her.

#43 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,329 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:41 AM

Julie Pinson as Billie on Days.

She had great chem with her family (LK, BD, RM), Had romantic chem with BB and SN (Nick, Steve), worked well with KA & PR, and really could have popped with JS/EJ. But they basically went nowhere fast with her and just made her char look awful by sleeping with Nick and refusing to let Billie/Steve become anything because of SUPERCOUPLE PAYLA needing to reunite even though it would have far more interesting for him to remain with billie. 

#44 Vee

Vee

A Chinchilla Of Doubt

• Members
  • 10,308 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:57 AM

Not really. I think people (mostly fans) were just so desperate to make Julie Pinson happen as a lead, when that was never going to happen anywhere but on PC, where she was wonderful. They tried too hard at DAYS and at ATWT and neither worked - she just was a supporting player type on an hour show. But I happened to think she felt too out of place on both shows. She wasn't Billie to me, beyond physical resemblance - it was like a woman too current for that program play-acting - and she was too immediate and visceral a performer for ATWT. She just didn't seem to work anywhere but in an ABC soap type of environment.

Edited by Vee, 13 February 2013 - 03:59 AM.

#45 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 52,544 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:04 AM

I mostly thought she was boring on DAYS,  from the bits I saw of her. ATWT was an awful role with hammy overacting - she seemed to be lost on her way to GH's never-ending Bensonhurst clown car. I hate that PC ruined her when they made Eve into a heroine. The spikier Eve at the show's start is what I always miss.

#46 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,329 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:18 AM

I mostly thought she was boring on DAYS,  from the bits I saw of her. ATWT was an awful role with hammy overacting - she seemed to be lost on her way to GH's never-ending Bensonhurst clown car. I hate that PC ruined her when they made Eve into a heroine. The spikier Eve at the show's start is what I always miss.

She was boring on days, because she had some truly awful writing and stories that she was only used in to prop couples. Billie didnt get to be a character, she was a tool to give Bope, Payla & Chelsea/Nick story. I think she even supported Jen/Frankie at some point? Im not sure, it was messy. 

I actually found her much better on ATWT. She played Janet exactly as she should have been played and clearly in the way the show wanted the character to exist. Loud, obnoxious, abrasive. She was much better paired with Park than Peck though. 

#47 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 52,544 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:25 AM

She was boring on days, because she had some truly awful writing and stories that she was only used in to prop couples. Billie didnt get to be a character, she was a tool to give Bope, Payla & Chelsea/Nick story. I think she even supported Jen/Frankie at some point? Im not sure, it was messy. 

I actually found her much better on ATWT. She played Janet exactly as she should have been played and clearly in the way the show wanted the character to exist. Loud, obnoxious, abrasive. She was much better paired with Park than Peck though. 

I don't think the character worked as bulldozer, because this meant there was little chemistry with co-stars, and little inner life. 

DAYS has a lot of actors who have nothing to do and manage to have a spark - Lisa Rinna, in the same role. I guess that was just a very flat time for the role and she was stuck with a character Reilly had lost interest in as more than a plot device somewhere around 1994 or 1995, but when I saw her with Lauren Koslow, the contrast in charisma and personality was somewhat jarring. 

#48 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,329 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:48 AM

DAYS has a lot of actors who have nothing to do and manage to have a spark - Lisa Rinna, in the same role. I guess that was just a very flat time for the role and she was stuck with a character Reilly had lost interest in as more than a plot device somewhere around 1994 or 1995, but when I saw her with Lauren Koslow, the contrast in charisma and personality was somewhat jarring. 

Like who? I find that the vast majority of actors when given nothing to do/no characterization just flounder. Of course, some make it work (namely on Days, Koslow, Zucker, but thats it). JP's Billie was so odd, truly looking at her whole time on the show its just... bizzare. She was always used as the plot point. The one time id say she was given any real story was searching for Georgia and I think thats when she was the best. Of course, the start of her and Steve was also great, but it became clear fast that she was just a stop on to way to payla and it would happen soon, and it did. Then there is the odd super girl time on the island and maybe something to do with the isa? or shane? and john? i dont know that was all so truly terrible. Then they tried something with her and Patrick, i think, but he was nother awful plot character that went nowhere fast except into Hopes bed... 

I thought she and Koslow had an interesting dynamic, you were never sure if they liked eachother or not. It was and is far more believable than they close BFFness of them now, imo. 

I forgot how great she worked with JKJ's Philip too

I liked her walking the line with chelsea here on regressing to her former self and being a good mother

then there was this awfulness... 

but then there was this amazing stuff with steve

so basically it was all very hit and miss, but what im saying is she was a perfect pick to play billie and really helped to fix the damage done by KA's stint as Billie, but it just didnt work for various reasons but mostly due to story. 

#49 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 52,544 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:52 AM

I think a number of actors on DAYS manage to show some life even if they have nothing to do. Some of them, admittedly, have been there a long time, but considering that Pinson had been a presence, sometimes a charismatic presence, on PC for about five years, always in story, I was surprised at how incredibly bland she was as Billie, how, essentially, basic she was. Rinna and Krista Allen always had a presence, even though Allen was not a great actress and Rinna wasn't either. But we can agree to disagree.

Edited by CarlD2, 13 February 2013 - 04:52 AM.

#50 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,329 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:58 AM

I think a number of actors on DAYS manage to show some life even if they have nothing to do. Some of them, admittedly, have been there a long time, but considering that Pinson had been a presence, sometimes a charismatic presence, on PC for about five years, always in story, I was surprised at how incredibly bland she was as Billie, how, essentially, basic she was. Rinna and Krista Allen always had a presence, even though Allen was not a great actress and Rinna wasn't either. But we can agree to disagree.

not a great actress is being far, far too kind. lol.

#51 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 52,544 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:03 AM

I thought Chris Engen was well-cast as Adam, and I am not going to get into all that again, never again, but I will just say that I despised what the hack Sheffer and the nepotism queen did with him and with Adam.

#52 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,329 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:07 AM

I thought Chris Engen was well-cast as Adam, and I am not going to get into all that again, never again, but I will just say that I despised what the hack Sheffer and the nepotism queen did with him and with Adam.

YES!

Engen was fantastic as adam. Him and vail Bloom had such amazing potential. 

#53 dragonflies

dragonflies

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 24,607 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

I seem to remember people on this very board bashing Engen for his comments about that storyline he had to do lol

#54 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,329 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:38 AM

I seem to remember people on this very board bashing Engen for his comments about that storyline he had to do lol

They did, absolutely. 

#55 Dr Neil Curtis

Dr Neil Curtis

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:59 AM

That was so sad, too.

#56 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 38,487 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

IA with JP. I thought JP (haha) was a great choice for Billie on Days. Its too bad she joined at such a bad time.

I cant believe I ddint think of this but Christian Campbell as Bobby on AMC. He was perfect, had great chem with everyone but fizzled out soon after joining

#57 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,329 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

IA with JP. I thought JP (haha) was a great choice for Billie on Days. Its too bad she joined at such a bad time.

I cant believe I ddint think of this but Christian Campbell as Bobby on AMC. He was perfect, had great chem with everyone but fizzled out soon after joining

LOL!

and Y E S to CC as Bobby. He was perfect. 

#58 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

I too liked JP as Billie

I liked Chris Egen's Adam and still think Vail Bloom was the best Heather

#59 SoapSurvivor

SoapSurvivor

Recurring

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Chrystal Chappell - Maggie Carpenter on OLTL, at the time she was a big name coming from DOOL, Maggie started off as a good character and CC seemed to be giving it her all, but Maggie was all over the place and the clown school mess as her secret was ridiculous, which made her a forgettable character.

Genie Francis as Diana on DOOL.  She was good for John and the story seemed to be big, I don't know what happened she left and a perfectly interesting character was never seen or heard from again.

#60 carolineg

carolineg

Recurring

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

You lost me at the Robin hate. RC is a very warm actress. An an outstanding one.

I think RC is an outstanding actress, but she comes off very cold. She is very old Hollywood, but I have always felt a disconnect to her Skye. I prefer CG's Skye, but I understand the RC love.  I just don't particularly like Skye/RC and I never have.  I know it's fairly unpopular, but I have always thought she was completely out of place on GH.  Hated her with Jax, Luke, Alcazar, Ned, etc.  Despite my dislike for her, I still think she is beautiful and a great actress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users