Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Is Y&R's 40th anniversary getting disregarded?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 yr9190

yr9190

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

I had to ask this cause I feel like people have been talking non stop about GH'S 50th anniversary coming up. It seems like the press are not really acknowledging the fact that Y&R is also hitting a milestone this year. I know that it might be because the show has yet to really recover from all the crap Maria put it through the last few years that they probably just can't get excited for it, and people have been saying how great GH has been and how Cartini won't disappoint people with their milestone. I just think it's weird considering that March 26 is before April 1, and again NO ONE has made a peep about what they plan to do for Y&R's 40th.....Maybe I'm just overreacting and have forgotten that 50 is a bigger milestone than 40 or something like that but I just thought I would point that out.

#2 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 55,363 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

Y&R has never gotten that kind of press attention. It's gotten pop culture attention, in films and primetime TV, but never a press following.

The show also seems to have no real ability to create hype for itself.

JFP got praise for most of her anniversary episodes (or at least montages for said episodes), so maybe she will do something. 

#3 Chris B

Chris B

Kylie!!

• Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

What did GH do for it's 40th anniversary? Considering the state of GH at the time, I can't imagine that being successful. I do recall reading somewhere that the 40th anniversary will be a month of celebration. We'll see how true that is...Anything will be a step up over Maria Bell's tired ass 35th anniversary which was as half-baked and boring as it gets. Was Josh Griffith writing with her then?

#4 yr9190

yr9190

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

I guess I have OLTL's 40th anniversary in my head, cause I know that was one of their more successful anniversary episodes (at least I think it was)

I agree that whatever they are planning is gonna be a step up towards whatever fiasco Maria would do, but I admit that we probably have better episodes in mind for the 40th.

#5 Darn

Darn

wRecKed

• Members
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

Has Y&R really ever done anything special for its anniversaries? I'm curious, I can't recall what, if anything, they did for the 30th and wasn't watching when the 50th occurred.

#6 y&r_fan

y&r_fan

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Anything will be a step up over Maria Bell's tired ass 35th anniversary which was as half-baked and boring as it gets. Was Josh Griffith writing with her then?

He was, but the whole idea reeked of MAB.

#7 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

Considering hype doesn't always equal great ratings I don't think it matters how much coverage Y&R gets. And with all the hype GH's 50th will be expected to be amazing but likely fall flat since FV/RC don't know how to write for events.

#8 Eric83

Eric83

SLAYLOR

• Members
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

GH has been bringing back vets and hyping up the Nurses' Ball. It seems to be business as usual over at Y&R and seems to not be anything special coming for the 40th anniversary.

#9 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

GH has been bringing back vets and hyping up the Nurses' Ball. It seems to be business as usual over at Y&R and seems to not be anything special coming for the 40th anniversary.

Angelica McDaniel, Steve Kent, and Jeanne Cooper have both been talking about big things coming up for Y&R's 40th. So they have something planned they just aren't hyping it.

#10 Nothin'ButAttitude

Nothin'ButAttitude

#TeamBeauty #RHOA #Nov9th

• Members
  • 4,006 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

I just hope that Y&R pulls out all the stops for this anniversary and bring back characters we love and want to see (i.e. Dru, Tracy, the Brooks/Fosters/Prentiss clans, Leanna, Ashley, etc).

#11 CSF

CSF

Classic Soap Fan

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

I just hope that Y&R pulls out all the stops for this anniversary and bring back characters we love and want to see (i.e. Dru, Tracy, the Brooks/Fosters/Prentiss clans, Leanna, Ashley, etc).

The Brooks/Fosters/Prentiss clans are long gone

#12 will81

will81

Recurring

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

Well if they had a party to celebrate an anniversary for Genoa City and had Victor and or Kay organising it, you could get the Brooks sisters and Prentiss brothers back. Lorie and Chris interacted with some characters currently on the canvas and it would be interesting to see John McCook and JLB in a scene together again, Even though Jill is a Fenmore, seeing her with Snapper and Greg would be fun too. It isn't impossible to do, just unlikely.

What would be better would be to do a special on the show and interview as many former cast members as possible, with clips and such. They do this so much these days with old primetime shows and movies, but daytime rarely gets noticed. Even Broadway has had a few. Sony/CBS could put something together. 

I do wish someone would do a history of soaps like Rick McKay did with Broadway. Y&R is lucky that the major players from the beginning are still around, but they won't be forever. I wonder how expensive it would be to put out a dvd/blu-ray that covers the history of the show with interviews and clips. 

Edited by will81, 27 January 2013 - 10:46 PM.

#13 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

The Brooks/Fosters/Prentiss clans are long gone

As is Dru.

#14 Eric83

Eric83

SLAYLOR

• Members
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Would love if they do a 40 year retrospective to air in primetime, but of course it'll never happen.

#15 allmc2008

allmc2008

Sexy and I know it!

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

What all anniversaries did Y&R celebrate.

#16 CSF

CSF

Classic Soap Fan

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

What all anniversaries did Y&R celebrate.

The only one that sticks out in my mind is the 25th.

As is Dru. 

Sad and true.

Well if they had a party to celebrate an anniversary for Genoa City and had Victor and or Kay organising it, you could get the Brooks sisters and Prentiss brothers back. Lorie and Chris interacted with some characters currently on the canvas and it would be interesting to see John McCook and JLB in a scene together again, Even though Jill is a Fenmore, seeing her with Snapper and Greg would be fun too. It isn't impossible to do, just unlikely.

What would be better would be to do a special on the show and interview as many former cast members as possible, with clips and such. They do this so much these days with old primetime shows and movies, but daytime rarely gets noticed. Even Broadway has had a few. Sony/CBS could put something together. 

I do wish someone would do a history of soaps like Rick McKay did with Broadway. Y&R is lucky that the major players from the beginning are still around, but they won't be forever. I wonder how expensive it would be to put out a dvd/blu-ray that covers the history of the show with interviews and clips. 

Its funny you mentioned Kay organizing it.  I don't ever remember her interacting with any of the Brooks, even at Victor and Nikki's wedding. 

#17 sheilaforever

sheilaforever

Being Restless

• Members
  • 4,594 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

For the Silver Jubilee Carl Williams returned and the Kay/JIll rivalry was reignated over the Chancellor mansion. In 2003 KAy and JIll were made mother and daughter-.

The show has never done a stand-olone birthdayshow but more some pointed storylines over the anniversary season.

#18 will81

will81

Recurring

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

Its funny you mentioned Kay organizing it.  I don't ever remember her interacting with any of the Brooks, even at Victor and Nikki's wedding. 

True, I don't think she did either, but you could assume she knew of them, that's why if it was a party to celebrate like 100 + years of GC or something they would most likely invite those who had some sort of social standing. Both the Brooks and Prentiss families were well known in GC at one point. Plus a party would mean only cameo appearances and no need to awkwardly fit people into some contrived story. And a party in GC is well overdue (though not entirely sure of that since I watch so rarely these days).

#19 Chris B

Chris B

Kylie!!

• Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:24 AM

Lorie Brooks was last appeared in 2002 or 2003 so she isn't *that* forgotten, besides I always say it's no different than having a random new character. Instead of putting Victor with Sharon or Sabrina, who are WAY too young for him, they could've brought back Lorie as a spoiler once Ashley had moved on. She's age appropriate and they could bring on a child for her or one of her sibling's kids (not sure if she had one). Also, she could've been in charge of Restless Style. I never understood why Nina wasn't involved at Restless Style either.

#20 SoapDope

SoapDope

Contract

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Y&R pretty much ignores it milestones. So I wouldn't expect anything big. I think a primetime special would be awesome like they did with AMC. They could bring back former stars and interview them such as William Gray Espy and Trish Stewart (Chris & Snapper). They were Y&R's first couple and the only one to stay married.

I always thought it would be nice if they brought back Brooks Prentiss for the 40th. Maybe they could concoct a story where Victoria (Heather Tom comes back) is upset by an article written in the Chronicle about Newman and goes to confront the writer.  In the next scene there is a close up of a stained glass window and 70's Y&R harpsichord music starts to play and then a doorbell rings. The camera then pulls back and reveals the window is at the top of the stairs of the Brooks family home and Brooks Prentiss comes down and answers the door to Victoria. This has the two meet face to face and starts a new storyline.

Or another thing could be Jennifer Elizabeth Foster gets married and Jill and Kay got to the wedding and all the Brooks and Fosters are there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users