Is Y&R's 40th anniversary getting disregarded?

• Members

I had to ask this cause I feel like people have been talking non stop about GH'S 50th anniversary coming up. It seems like the press are not really acknowledging the fact that Y&R is also hitting a milestone this year. I know that it might be because the show has yet to really recover from all the crap Maria put it through the last few years that they probably just can't get excited for it, and people have been saying how great GH has been and how Cartini won't disappoint people with their milestone. I just think it's weird considering that March 26 is before April 1, and again NO ONE has made a peep about what they plan to do for Y&R's 40th.....Maybe I'm just overreacting and have forgotten that 50 is a bigger milestone than 40 or something like that but I just thought I would point that out.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Y&R has never gotten that kind of press attention. It's gotten pop culture attention, in films and primetime TV, but never a press following.

The show also seems to have no real ability to create hype for itself.

JFP got praise for most of her anniversary episodes (or at least montages for said episodes), so maybe she will do something.

• Members

What did GH do for it's 40th anniversary? Considering the state of GH at the time, I can't imagine that being successful. I do recall reading somewhere that the 40th anniversary will be a month of celebration. We'll see how true that is...Anything will be a step up over Maria Bell's tired ass 35th anniversary which was as half-baked and boring as it gets. Was Josh Griffith writing with her then?

• Members

I guess I have OLTL's 40th anniversary in my head, cause I know that was one of their more successful anniversary episodes (at least I think it was)

I agree that whatever they are planning is gonna be a step up towards whatever fiasco Maria would do, but I admit that we probably have better episodes in mind for the 40th.

• Members

Well if they had a party to celebrate an anniversary for Genoa City and had Victor and or Kay organising it, you could get the Brooks sisters and Prentiss brothers back. Lorie and Chris interacted with some characters currently on the canvas and it would be interesting to see John McCook and JLB in a scene together again, Even though Jill is a Fenmore, seeing her with Snapper and Greg would be fun too. It isn't impossible to do, just unlikely.

What would be better would be to do a special on the show and interview as many former cast members as possible, with clips and such. They do this so much these days with old primetime shows and movies, but daytime rarely gets noticed. Even Broadway has had a few. Sony/CBS could put something together.

I do wish someone would do a history of soaps like Rick McKay did with Broadway. Y&R is lucky that the major players from the beginning are still around, but they won't be forever. I wonder how expensive it would be to put out a dvd/blu-ray that covers the history of the show with interviews and clips.

Archived