Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Y&R: Burton explains his return TV

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 dragonflies

dragonflies

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 25,311 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

http://www.tvguide.c...ss-1059136.aspx

#2 KMan101

KMan101

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 7,283 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

Wow. I kinda liked that interview.

#3 Vee

Vee

A Chinchilla Of Doubt

• Members
  • 11,516 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

Now we see why he wore those shirts. He's even more bloated in full-sleeved plaid.

#4 Ann_SS

Ann_SS

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

Whatever, dude. I am such a cynic. Oh well, as long as he is not on GH any more.

#5 Vee

Vee

A Chinchilla Of Doubt

• Members
  • 11,516 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

You know, I'm always curious about soaps in transition, so I have been peeking at Y&R of late and it's kind of at least diverting to me as a relative non-viewer. I don't think it's good per se, but it's got some intriguing things. They finally have Jack and Phyllis sharing time together again, which is good. I find the choice to showcase Jessica Collins and Avery so much to be so strange and random - not that she's a bad actress but it seems like such an odd, unexpected move that bears watching - and I like that they actually hired more men of color. The new Noah still looks way too old and appears to be wearing a wig. I'm always curious to watch JFP work and slowly assimilate her soaps like the Borg.

So I'll probably take a look at Steve's debut, even though I can't stand him.

Edited by Vee, 15 January 2013 - 10:20 AM.

#6 Dale

Dale

Contract

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

Whatever, dude. I am such a cynic. Oh well, as long as he is not on GH any more.

LOL!  Agreed - it will make my check in to General Hospital that much easier. I am looking forward to watching again with all the returns sans Jason Morgan.

#7 Antoyne

Antoyne

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

I actually liked the interview...shocking. I'm ready to see what he can do.

#8 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Is that subject line for real?  Didn't read the interview, not gonna.  But he's only been off our screens since October 2012!

#9 dragonflies

dragonflies

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 25,311 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

LOL it's real, that's how TV Guide worded it :rolleyes:

They act like he's been off tv for like a  year

#10 DeeeDee

DeeeDee

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 14,370 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

and I like that they actually hired more men of color.

Hiring them is one thing.

Using them is another.

#11 Darn

Darn

wRecKed

• Members
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hiring them is one thing.

Using them is another.

Have they at all? Are the actors any good? Or just a couple of high yellow brothers meant to appeal to "that Black audience"?

#12 soapfave06

soapfave06

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Have they at all? Are the actors any good? Or just a couple of high yellow brothers meant to appeal to "that Black audience"?

I think their both really good. They have also been on a good bit but I can't tell where either character is headed.Most of the hires under JFP have been superior to MAB's, but that's just me.

#13 R Sinclair

R Sinclair

The Original R. Sinclair

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,221 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Was MAB ever really a "producer" though? I always pegged her placement at Y&R as "A rich man's wife who was bored so he gave her one of his subsidiaries to play with to keep her from whining" type of situations.

#14 DeeeDee

DeeeDee

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 14,370 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

One (Tyler) is being used as a temporary speed bump for Lane (and a convenient solution against certain controversies).

The other (Mason) hasn't been paired with anyone yet (but he'll be the unsuccessful part of a love triangle with two white characters in a couple of months)

In six months both he & Tyler will be fighting Devon for Roxy in a backburnered story before they're both are made recurring & subsequently fired.

#15 Darn

Darn

wRecKed

• Members
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

One (Tyler) is being used as a temporary speed bump for Lane (and a convenient solution against certain controversies).

The other (Mason) hasn't been paired with anyone yet (but he'll be the unsuccessful part of a love triangle with two white characters in a couple of months)

In six months both he & Tyler will be fighting Devon for Roxy in a backburnered story before they're both are made recurring & subsequently fired.

That sounds about right. It's become the standard for every new hire on Y&R basically.

#16 DeeeDee

DeeeDee

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 14,370 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

That sounds about right. It's become the standard for every new hire on Y&R basically.

Jessica Collins is the only new hire that's been somewhat successful & that's largely due to Sharon Case being thrown under the bus.

#17 y&r_fan

y&r_fan

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:57 AM

Jessica Collins is the only new hire that's been somewhat successful & that's largely due to Sharon Case being thrown under the bus.

That wasn't the current regime though, that was MAB.

I think Robert Adamson, Hunter King and Redaric Williams have been pretty successful...

#18 Chris B

Chris B

Kylie!!

• Members
  • 8,233 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

It's too soon to say Redaric has been successful considering how much screentime he has. I do love him though (and that he follows me on Twitter!). I think the new black actors are good, but like DeeeDee, I don't have faith they'll be treated fairly long term. I still don't understand why they keep wasting Devon, yet keep him. I truly believe with screentime, an actual story and Tatyana Ali on contract that Roxy & Devon could be a popular couple. Throw in Chloe as the other woman and you could spark some life into her and actually have a good triangle.

As for Burton, I look forward to seeing him smile and dress differently. He looks cuter when he smiles, I was surprised by that. Still, we all know this is BS. I strongly believe he left GH because he was upset he was no longer Queen Bee. Considering how GH films, they could've worked around his schedule easily. I believe it was a diva exit, hence why he doesn't go into details. Now that I'm over the initial stunt casting, I look forward to seeing if this can work. I hope he isn't shoved down our throats like Avery has been. I always hated Avery until Josh Griffith started writing, then I fell in love...for a hot minute. They quickly burned me out on her when she started appearing everyday and being propped. They should've been confident that they were writing her well and that the audience would respond accordingly. Turning her overnight into the Y&R leading lady ruined her for me.

Edited by Chris B, 16 January 2013 - 05:15 AM.

#19 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,721 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

As for Burton, I look forward to seeing him smile and dress differently. He looks cuter when he smiles, I was surprised by that. Still, we all know this is BS. I strongly believe he left GH because he was upset he was no longer Queen Bee. Considering how GH films, they could've worked around his schedule easily.

Really? GH is days ahead sometimes. They cut and edit as they film. Its far from a rightly run ship able to do what Y&R can do for a schedule. 

#20 Chris B

Chris B

Kylie!!

• Members
  • 8,233 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

I was judging more based on what Valentini did on OLTL, where he'd often have actors come in and shoot months of scenes and have them inserted into episodes wherever they needed to go. I could easily see him doing something like that with Burton if that was truly all he wanted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users