Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Would Agnes be a good Head Write for Y&R?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 allmc2008

allmc2008

Sexy and I know it!

• Members
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

Lets Assume Agnes is still in her prime (I personally think she can still knock anyone dead) would she be good at Y&R?? I know her and Bill worked for Irna so the thought of her taking over his show would be really cool. However, from what I have heard, I don't think Agnes Nixon's philosophy and Bill Bell's Philosophy for daytime could mix well though. It's my understanding that Agnes was more social issues and Campy Drama while Bill Bell was more serious.

What do yall think?

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Soap Historian

• Members
  • 7,708 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

I love this question. Yes, I think she could've been a good fit for Y&R. On a related note, back when Kay Alden was consulting for ABC, I was praying that she would take over as head writer of All My Children. Alas, it never happened. :(

#3 SFK

SFK

Just your average hot damn bam bam baby sex scorcher icon.

• Members
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

While I think Y&R has boasted several great characters, I have never found the show to have particularly warm characters. There are a lot of icy, neurotic, anal retentive characters on Y&R (of course there are exceptions). But I think AN would bring a certain warmth to the show given her writing style and penchant for endearing characters.

#4 Khan

Khan

"May I use your telephone?"

• Members
  • 18,900 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

Would Agnes Nixon be good for Y&R? In the long run, yes. She'd respect characters and history, but she'd also change how stories are paced, which might take some time to get used to.

Here's what I'd love to know: if Bill Bell were 1) still alive and 2) still in his prime, could he have written a show like ALL MY CHILDREN?

#5 chicklitsandfantasies

chicklitsandfantasies

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

I may be the only one but I really did not like her AMC Zombie finale. And I'm not sure her style of writing would fit Y&R because her soaps were all kind of similar.

#6 CSF

CSF

Classic Soap Fan

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

Here's what I'd love to know: if Bill Bell were 1) still alive and 2) still in his prime, could he have written a show like ALL MY CHILDREN?

That's a good questions. I think Bill Bell could have written All My Children well but I think it would lack Agnes' warmth. I always thought AMC's template was based off of the ATWT template and Bell did write ATWT with Irna for quite a few years, but was ATWT a warm show like AMC? That I don't think so.

#7 Darlotto99

Darlotto99

Recurring

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

Nope two different styles. both Agnes and Bill are pretty much at the heart of the difference between ABC and CBS soaps.

#8 aMLCproduction

aMLCproduction

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

A very good question and I would say no she could not.

Khan u mentioned pacing what is the difference between Bell pacing and nixon pacing

#9 marceline

marceline

This is not some one way mirror

• Members
  • 9,193 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

I love Agnes and I agree she has a lot still to offer. That's why I would rather see her create a new soap than waste time or energy trying to resuscitate any of the last shows standing. I realize that isn't an option but if we are making wishes then that's mine.

Nope two different styles. both Agnes and Bill are pretty much at the heart of the difference between ABC and CBS soaps.

+1

#10 allmc2008

allmc2008

Sexy and I know it!

• Members
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

Would Agnes Nixon be good for Y&R? In the long run, yes. She'd respect characters and history, but she'd also change how stories are paced, which might take some time to get used to.

I wonder what a show that would be a co creation by BB and AN be like??

Edited by allmc2008, 29 October 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#11 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

I don't think her style would fit Y&R. Not every great writer can write a variety of different shows. Her shows have a certain mood to them.

#12 aMLCproduction

aMLCproduction

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

Ok I heard pacing and mood can some one explain?

#13 Khan

Khan

"May I use your telephone?"

• Members
  • 18,900 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

Khan u mentioned pacing what is the difference between Bell pacing and nixon pacing

Well, as we all know, Bill Bell loved taking his time with his stories. Almost to the point of agony, depending on whom you ask. Agnes believed in "making 'em wait" as well; however, climaxes to her stories often came much faster than they did to Bell's. Frankly, every six months or so on ALL MY CHILDREN, there was a noticeable changeover, as many stories would wind down while others geared up.

#14 y&r_fan

y&r_fan

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:29 AM

No. Just no. No ABC writers on the Bell shows thanks. Not even Nixon.

Plus, I'm happy with the head writer Y&R has now.

#15 YRBB

YRBB

In a five star hotel, watching GH & sipping on champagne

• Members
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

I don't doubt she would be able to write a good, if not great, Y&R. Just not the Y&R that should be written. Y&R has its very own, particular style of telling stories, of pacing, of dialogue. Whether one liked it or not, it was very recognizably Y&R's style and, at least to this fan, the show will never be OK unless it goes back to that.

#16 aMLCproduction

aMLCproduction

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

Well, as we all know, Bill Bell loved taking his time with his stories. Almost to the point of agony, depending on whom you ask. Agnes believed in "making 'em wait" as well; however, climaxes to her stories often came much faster than they did to Bell's. Frankly, every six months or so on ALL MY CHILDREN, there was a noticeable changeover, as many stories would wind down while others geared up.

Thank u bro

#17 Faulkner

Faulkner

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

Y&R is its own animal. It's like a cross between a French art film and a Douglas Sirk melodrama. Stylized, cold, Gothic, moody, intimate, achingly slow, obsessive, fascinated with beautiful things, dry in its humor, seemingly old-fashioned, but yet timeless, with an ability to handle contemporary themes. It's a one-of-a-kind show, and I think only Bill Bell and maybe Kay Alden could really do it justice. Agnes has proven that she can do larger-than-life characters well, but the show she'd do just wouldn't be Y&R.

It's funny, though - I always thought a number of writers could do AMC well (Claire Labine being one of them).

Edited by Faulkner, 30 October 2012 - 08:52 PM.

#18 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

Y&R is its own animal. It's like a cross between a French art film and a Douglas Sirk melodrama. Stylized, cold, Gothic, moody, intimate, achingly slow, obsessive, fascinated with beautiful things, dry in its humor, seemingly old-fashioned, but yet timeless, with an ability to handle contemporary themes. It's a one-of-a-kind show, and I think only Bill Bell and maybe Kay Alden could really do it justice. Agnes has proven that she can do larger-than-life characters well, but the show she'd do just wouldn't be Y&R.

It's funny, though - I always thought a number of writers could do AMC well (Claire Labine being one of them).

Because AMC is pretty traditional family soap.

#19 yr9190

yr9190

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

Yeah if Agnes did write Y&R, no doubt would it be good, but i don't think she would actually take that job....I wonder if she ever watched Y&R/B&B. Bill Bell said he only watched his soaps and never watched AMC/OLTL.

NOW her writing General Hospital might work out well in some way. If she were to become headwriter on that show, i almost wish Steve Burton didn't leave because you know the first thing he would say is that he hates how warm Jason has become.

#20 DeeeDee

DeeeDee

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 14,370 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

I always thought a number of writers could do AMC well (Claire Labine being one of them).

Claire is probably the only ABC writer that could successfully write for Y&R.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users