The Politics Thread

• Members

And now the stories of Brexit remorse come flooding in:

If you think this person is the only one, you'd be very wrong.

And now the EU wants GB to basically pack up their [!@#$%^&*] and put everything in a box to the left  as they want the U.K. exit done like yesterday now.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

What frustrates me most is how opposed some people are to giving immigrants more financial aid, but I don't see that changing in the near future. We can hope things change with the House and Senate,  but I feel like HRC's agenda will be fought tooth and nail.

I hear you.

• Members

At 87% White, I cannot see how many of UK's problems are caused by immigrants. The bulk of the immigrants are from areas that were formerly territories of the British monarchy, which happen to be the places where the UK managed to obtain natural resources that bolstered it's economy over time. The real issue is the cutbacks from austerity, which is a terrible economic policy.

• Members

This is why I'm still very wary about Trump winning. You can't underestimate how many stupid people are out there voting. The main difference between them and UK voters is most of those who vote for Trump will never admit they're wrong -  they would say the evil Hillary and liberal media brainwashed them.

• Members

The immigrants of which the U.K. speaks consists of immigrants from countries like Poland, Romania that tend to have lower wages and perceived limited opportunity even Spain, Italy and Greece where the economies are struggling and people tend to leave just to find work.  The jobs in cafes and as servers in restaurants are the jobs where you're likely to find immigrants from other European countries.  Those are considered low-wage by most British residents and citizens but for a person coming from Greece or Romania where jobs may be scarce, or in Poland where wages are lower, then these jobs are a step up.  

Then add in the hysteria about refugees coming from Syria and Iraq (even though the majority of refugees have expressed a clear desire to go to Germany and some have gone to Nordic countries like Denmark, Norway and Sweden that tend to have more generous social-welfare programs).  This is what they mean by immigrants- they are from other European countries.

As for immigrants and 2nd/3rd generation from those former British colonies, a surprising number voted in favor of Leave- I admit, I was surprised when I heard this as I am from an immigrant family from one of those former British colonies.  Here is one example.

• Members

I forgot to factor in white immigrants, because there is definitely animosity toward them in the UK. What is so ridiculous about said animosity is that the jobs that people cry are being stolen from them are jobs that they would never really take in a million years. In reality, Brexit will do far more damage to the economy of the UK than immigrants from other European countries. The far-right can wreck any economy with xenophobia and hatred.

• Members

There is definitely still hostility to people from the former British colonies but it is a lot harder to kick out actual British citizens and legal residents.  And yep, I'm not sure how people were convinced that these EU immigrants were stealing jobs when it has been proven that many British weren't going for these jobs due to their low wages.  Yes, some rich Russian oligarchs and wealthy Saudis were driving up the price of real estate in London to rates that were basically unaffordable to middle class and working class people but the funny thing is that these wealthy people barely live in these apartments, they pretty much use these properties as investments and another way to shield their money from their native countries, the same thing happens in cities like New York. Brexit won't fix that.  

Already promises have been broken by the Leave Campaign.  Nigel Farage was forced to admit that the money that will supposedly be saved as a result of not going to the EU-there is no guarantee that it will go the National Health Service, which was one of the primary reasons stated by people voting to Leave. 

No surprise there is also a petition calling for a 2nd EU referendum. :rolleyes: There are over 2 million signatures:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36629324

• Members

I CANNOT STAND George Will. I can't stress that enough. I don't know what it means that he's left the stinking carcass that is the Republican party. I suppose he'll try to infiltrate some Tea Party chapter somewhere. 

As I watched the Leave campaign votes gain a considerable lead earlier in the week, I knew that Cameron's days left as Prime Minister were few. He called the referendum to try to quelch a schism that was within squabbling factions of his Conservative party. He didn't need to call this referendum, he chose to gamble and he lost. Knowing what I know about about British politics and how it's Parliamentary system, I felt there was no way he'd be able to stay on.