Toups

The Politics Thread

17,371 posts in this topic

Obama tried to be president even for the people who didn't vote for him or actively hated him. He understood that's what it means to be a public servant.

Republicans don't care about their constituents who aren't Republicans. Frankly they don't even care about the ones who are. I'm in a state that is ground zero in the opioid epidemic and I can't tell you how many people in red counties and districts want to just "let em die." We aren't talking about the usual targets of blacks, browns, LGBT, Muslim, etc... These are their family, friends and neighbors and they are fighting for the chance to kill them.

19 minutes ago, marceline said:

Obama tried to be president even for the people who didn't vote for him or actively hated him. He understood that's what it means to be a public servant.

Republicans don't care about their constituents who aren't Republicans. Frankly they don't even care about the ones who are. I'm in a state that is ground zero in the opioid epidemic and I can't tell you how many people in red counties and districts want to just "let em die." We aren't talking about the usual targets of blacks, browns, LGBT, Muslim, etc... These are their family, friends and neighbors and they are fighting for the chance to kill them.

Thank you. Trump has basically said that anyone who didn't support him is basically his enemy, that's not how you govern a nation.

38 minutes ago, marceline said:

Oh yeah.  A lot of things have surprised me in the last year, but this is not one of them.  I won't even say it's necessarily confined to red districts.  How many times have all of us heard people say "They did it to themselves".  My response to that is most of the bad things that happen to us are our fault on some level. Does that mean we never deserve help?   I wish we could move onto the bigger problem of how to help them.  I think we are going to see a lot of people die of both opioid addiction and alcoholism until a better drug is found to break the cycle of addiction.

1 hour ago, DRW50 said:

I've heard a few people say they did try for these jobs a while back and were turned away. If that's true (and of course they could have been lying or they could have just been unsuited) I have to wonder how many of these farmers were used to having cheap labor that had no ability to organize or speak up for themselves, and now that they are losing them, they've set up a system where it's hard to replace. Some of it may be down to lazy people not wanting to do the work, but I'm not sure I believe that's the whole story.

Or maybe parts of the agricultural industry have become like manufacturing. Jobs that really can't be done here any more.  If the only people who will take the job is someone undocumented doesn't that mean we are setting up a defacto system of second class citizens?  I've read many an article that says as soon as workers become documented they find any job other than working in the fields because it's awful. It's low paying, back breaking, there's exposure to pesticides and long term damage to your body.  I'm not sure what's really right here, tbh.

59 minutes ago, marceline said:

what state is that?

For the people in the slow lane who don't think that white supremacy is a real issue. Soledad O'Brien posted this on social media. These monuments have been up for hundreds of years and although some are due to come down (finally!) many are still up!

5 hours ago, Vee said:

Trump could launch nukes and this dude would still be going But Obama! Simply saying "Obama" is not an argument outside of KKK Land.

That said, don't engage with him. Put him on Ignore like I did.

Honestly these people have no ability to engage. Just look at the Watergate excuse list people used for Nixon. One of them was " But Lyndon Johnson did ..." SSDD

Edited by JaneAusten

1 hour ago, JaneAusten said:

Honestly these people have no ability to engage. Just look at the Watergate excuse list people used for Nixon. One of them was " But Lyndon Johnson did ..." SSDD

It's like living in a world filled with Floyd R. Turbos.

One of my favorites on twitter. She nails it. Good thread

Edited by JaneAusten

Stop trying to tell people the GOP are not racist. Here are their followers. They also marched on a church last night yelling nazi epitaphs at the congregation. No doubt none of these so called "protesters" were tear gassed like BLM activitists. https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/charlottesville-readies-for-a-white-nationalist-rally-on-saturday/2017/08/10/cff4786e-7c49-11e7-83c7-5bd5460f0d7e_story.html?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.e2b75212de0d

It's no coincidence that these folks are congregating, without hoods, en masse while Trump is president.  These people are clearly emboldened by a Trump presidency.

But like the typical 'Trump troll' supporter, they stand boldly in their utter ignorance. Carrying Tiki Torches a symbol from Polynesian culture, wearing Polo shirts, made by an American designer of Jewish heritage, Ralph Lauren.  

These images are being broadcast to the world and for many, will now be seen as what America now stands for, like it or not. Ironically Trump, in all his boorish lies, claimed he'd 'restore' respect to the U.S. He has done the exact opposite. No one respects this clown-show of absurdity that is unfolding in front of our eyes.

I don't like the term "white nationalists."  It's too...nice.  Call these individuals what they are: "racist pricks."

8 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

It's no coincidence that these folks are congregating, without hoods, en masse while Trump is president.  These people are clearly emboldened by a Trump presidency.

But like the typical 'Trump troll' supporter, they stand boldly in their utter ignorance. Carrying Tiki Torches a symbol from Polynesian culture, wearing Polo shirts, made by an American designer of Jewish heritage, Ralph Lauren.  

These images are being broadcast to the world and for many, will now be seen as what America now stands for, like it or not. Ironically Trump, in all his boorish lies, claimed he'd 'restore' respect to the U.S. He has done the exact opposite. No one respects this clown-show of absurdity that is unfolding in front of our eyes.

Meanwhile, Trump "can't stop, won't stop" with the rhetoric against North Korea.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the fuse has been lit.  Something is about to explode.

Edited by Khan

20 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Both things are true, but CNN says they have about 2,000 - 6,000 people.  That's nothing when the population of our country is approaching 400 million.  Still, this is the image of America that people abroad will be seeing and it is disturbing. I've thought for awhile it's probably time for us to join Germany in having laws against glorifying Nazis, but I can't see it happening any time soon.

21 minutes ago, Khan said:

I don't like the term "white nationalists."  It's too...nice.  Call these individuals what they are: "racist pricks."

Meanwhile, Trump "can't stop, won't stop" with the rhetoric against North Korea.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the fuse has been lit.  Something is about to explode.

He's also started threatening military action against Venezuela. Mueller must've gotten hold of the taxes and money trail. 

Yet the media loved to propogate the lie that there was no difference between the two Presidential candidates.:rolleyes: