The "foreign soaps" topic

Huntress

• Members

Corrie is a completely different beast to EE and the one soap that has been consistently good for the past 6 years or so. It's very deeply rooted in its history with characters that have been around since the 1960s and approaches stories differently. Much more light hearted, very character driven. So much of what makes it popular is the dialogue but the exchanges would be lost on new viewers without any prior knowledge of the characters. It does have some great stories though. At the moment teenager David Platt is becoming increasingly disturbed and hinting at wanting to kill his mother/sister/grandmother. It's not being handled camply or as one sided -- you can see why he's come to hate his family for what he believes they've done to him.

Emmerdale is a show I just can not get into. I used to like it in the 90s when it was driven by superbitch Kim and the wealthy, screwed up Tate family but it's just become a strange panto hybrid of EE and Corrie combined. It essentially revolves around life in a small Yorkshire village and is considered to be the campest and most sensational of all the soaps. All sex in the stables and catfights. It tackles stories that the others wouldn't touch and is the only one to feature the wealthy extensively, these days in the form of the King and Sinclair families. It also has the white trash Dingle clan who are treated like a laughing stock in their run down old farm. Full of quirky cousins who don't wash, incestuous pairings and "loveable" simpletons. For some reason they seem to be loved (or at least the producers think they are) but I find them irritating and creepy.

Hollyoaks revolves around young people and always has, mostly those who attend Hollyoaks Community College. It's much better these days than it used to be and is the only British soap to use incidental music, flashbacks etc. I don't watch regularly but as far as I'm aware, the main story at the moment is a mystery surrounding who pushed evil Claire Cunningham off a balcony. She survived but is lying about the culprit to get revenge (she doesn't really know who did it). Also a teenage girl Hannah has become anorexic after her former boyfriend came out. She's friends with a model Melissa who's been encouraging her eating disorder but I believe she dies this week.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Simon has rightly replaced Tony Jordan as series consultant, who I thought had lost his way."

Tony has been busy running his own company and several other shows in addition to readying several additional shows to launch. He's probably had little or nothing to do to justify that consultant credit for at least some months.

• Members

Major. They're immediately thrown into a comedyish rivalry with Ian and Jane as well as a plot about their background in Ibiza. I like them though. Because they're ensconced in the Vic, it doesn't take over too much and their prevalance doesn't seem forced.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

"Verbotene Liebe" presented its new opening on the same day as the 3000th episode was broadcasted (last Wednesday). The whole opening has received a major overhaul with new cast shots and a restyled logo, only the background sequences have remained the same from the previous opening. The soap is now broadcasted in widescreen.

Order: Leonard von Lahnstein (Lars Korten), Sarah Hofmann (Sina Valeska Jung) / Elisabeth von Lahnstein (Martina Servatius), Johannes von Lahnstein (Thomas Gumpert) / Constantin von Lahnstein (Milan Marcus), Carla von Lahnstein (Claudia Hiersche) / Susanne Brandner (Claudia Scarpatetti), Arno Brandner (Konrad Krauss), Lisa Brandner (Lilli Hollunder) / Lars Schneider (Herbert Ulrich), Charlie Schneider (Gabriele Metzger), Olivia Schneider (Kristina Dörfer) / Andi Fritzsche (Dominic Saleh-Zaki), Coco Faber (Mariangela Scelsi), Jana Brandner (Vanessa Jung) / Gregor Mann (Andreas Jancke), Christian Mann (Thore Schölermann) / Adrian Degenhardt (Klaus Zmorek) / Nathalie von Lahnstein (Jenny Winkler), Ansgar von Lahnstein (Wolfram Grandezka) / Tanja von Anstetten (Miriam Lahnstein) / Verbotene Liebe

vl_07_1.jpgvl_07_2.jpg

vl_07_3.jpgvl_07_4.jpg

vl_07_5.jpgvl_07_6.jpg

vl_07_7.jpgvl_07_8.jpg

vl_07_9.jpgvl_07_10.jpg

vl_07_11.jpgvl_07_12.jpg

Archived