AMC: Panic behind the scenes

• Members

SOD (paraphrasing):

Morale on the AMC set is at an all-time low. People scared sh*tless for their jobs and the show. Newbies everywhere. And the search for Sean Montgomery (who cares?) is back on.

Going to see if the full article is posted anywhere I can link to, if not I might type it up myself later on.

I think AMC is dead in the water. I really think it's entered the descent it's never going to climb out of (see: Another World).

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know it has at least a few more years but here's the thing: Frons tried this in 2003 and it failed with the viewers. Now he's doing it again. Nancy Lee Grahn once quoted Frons as saying "If you try something in daytime and it doesn't work, just try it again". He is determined to make mould AMC into what he thinks it should be. And if it fails again this time, he'll wait a while and do it again. He's never going to stop.

This isn't McTavish's fault at all, and I hate defending that b*tch.

• Members

I have been staying mum about the recent going ons at AMC because I feel that once I write what I truly think, all hope is lost in my eyes for this show's salvation.

After being an avid viewer through the good and the bad, I can't believe that I am ready to leave this imaginary place I called something of a home based on what is going on. It is not that the stories are bad (I actually like the Martin revival, even if the core, the fetus sl is a bad rewrite) it is that the overall direction of the show is shot.

I once defended the recent vision of the show (since at least July 2003) where MMT came aboard and brought to the forefront the core families that we all love and grew up with. Even the return of Ryan Lavery is all his holiness as PV's long lost profit was welcomed in my eyes as part of the amazing Michael Cambias murder storyline. For that year, vets like James Mitchell and Eileen Herlie were seen on a daily basis for the first time in decades. It completley reversed the changes made by the last run which explicitly stated David Canary would be backburned. Now, Adam has never been better or meaner.

But since Christmas 2004, things began to go downhill. However, in the humdrum of Laveyr-centric stories, the integrity of the show remained. The main players were the strong families that we had grown to love. Even in the short spurt of the spotlight, the Frye's, especially Tanisha Lynn, won over the hearts of a new generation of viewers. As bad as the day to day could be at times, the future looked solid with Shari Headley, William Christian, Tonya Pinkins, and the eventual return of Sydney Penny driving the show into its future. Even the original botched return of Dixie Cooney prooved to be a saving grace with the show creating one of its most newest and most beloved characters and actresses in Kelli Giddish as Di Henry. Or who can forget the triumphant return of Kate Collins in a storyline no one was anticipating!

These storylines, as contrived and as inspectacular as they were in vision were bearable because of the promise that we would see the older players that had been sidlined for over a year under R&C. MMT was my savior.

Now, the show has taken a dramatic change for the worst. The firing of Tonya and Jill broke my heart, and we all know only more are to come. Where is the AMC that I loved, the one that cherished its history and its veterans so much as to keep Ruth Warrick on contract even after more that a 2 year onscreen absence, respecting and venerating her contributions until her death? Where are the Martin Christmas dinners, or the Chandler 4th of July picnics?

Where is the AMC I loved. Yes, LOVED. I may still tune in everyday, but I feel like I want to cry when it is over because every scene could be the last time I see Ray, Eileen, James, David, Michael, and Julia....

I don't see how this show could waste such amazing talents. Eileen and James are multiple Emmy nominees, Michael, Julia and David have more than just bookends at home... even Jill was nomianted early on in her run, being arguably daytime's best recast, replacing an actress who created such a legacy in her role that no one was supposed to follow!

With this stable group of renowned, beloved, and recognized actors (even in the younger set with Emmy nominee/winners JAcob Young, Leven Rambin, Jeff Branson, Cameron Mathison and Alexa Havins) why are these newbies nscesarry? Why can't the current cast actually be used? If tptb looked at any fansite, they would see an abundance of amazing ideas for the veterans, to involve them in storylines that fans want to see. Douglas Marland was right when he said just because you think it is a good idea, if the fans don't like it, end it and move on.

I can only imagine what these recent trends have caused to our frail matriarch Agnes Nixon. For more than 20 years, she was there everyday supervising the creation of many of the characters, and the original castings for the actors who will seemingly loose their jobs in a few weeks. It is our duty to make our voice heard.

I will be revamping my website within the next few days to serve thsi purpose. My site, once an objective encyclopedia about the residents of a small PA town, will not serve as my only avenue to voice my opinions. I cannot feasibly think of a better way to save the show I love. The vets need to be rehired, and given the starring roles they deserve. The production team needs to be a group willing to preserve the Pine Valley we love, while mainting its identity as a contemporary social drama.

It is up to we, the fans, to save Pine Valley.

• Members

Wow, that post broke my heart too :( It's incredibly disheartening to see someone who has for so long been one of the most devoted and upbeat about AMC has come down to my level of pessimism. There was always such a huge gap between our opinions on the show.

Honestly, and I never thought I'd say this, I'd take McTavish as headwriter forever if Frons was replaced by someone who actually cared about this show.

Like I said, if it fails, he'll just try it again in a year or two. But if we can get a couple of years of quality drama before this madness begins again then I'm all for it I guess. Something must be done by the fans, and I know many have written, but I think for the most part people take the attitude of "well someone else will write and say what I'm feeling". But if everyone thinks that then........

• Members

I understand your feelings and agree that Frons is a very bad influence on the show, no doubt. But I have to disagree here:

Megan McTavish has had a HUGE role in the problems you see on the show. I don't think there's any getting around that.

• Members

McTavish would never, ever decide to get rid of Jill Larson though. And she would never get rid of James Mitchell, who is undoubtedly next. She does love the vets, I'll give her that.

But yes the elementary school writing is classic McTavish. It's the same as it was in 1998 when Frons wasn't a factor. Lots of newbies in generic stories...the "I don't care what the viewers think about my couples and stories" attitude.

Also, Frons LOVES Simone, Aidan and Reggie. So it seems like even he is willing to let McT override him on some issues. Not in terms of firing the vets though :(

• Members

I agree that Frons is a big problem for AMC but MMT is just as much to blame as Frons. I do think she once loved the show (probably her second term), but that love for it and it's fans are long gone. I think she truly came back with a vengeance in mind this time and that is to undo what happened to her creations and set into play some of the things she wanted to happen. And she truly showed her disrespect for fans when she said that the fans were wrong on the abortion story.

She disrespects the show everytime she changes part of it's history. And I do believe she has changed more in the history of AMC than any other writer on any show in the history of daytime. Of course the biggest one being the abortion rewrite. In the process she killed two of my favorite male characters on the show too: Trevor Dillon and Edmund Grey.

I once thought MMT might have gotten a bad deal for AMC before and for other shows, but I think whatever happens to her is her own fault.

• Members

ITA with this. Her first interview with a magazine upon being re-hired was that she was going to return AMC to the great show it was, "at least the great show it was during my two tenures". What a b*tch. She never acknowledged 1998 was a total disaster. She believes she should never have been fired and thus, as a result, nothing that have happened from 1999-July 2003 ever happened.

Of course Agnes Nixon got rid of all things McTavish in 1999, but at least in that case she was doing it for the good of the show. McTavish just did it out of spite.

• Members

This is such a good topic that has needed to be addressed for a while. AMC is going way downhill. However, I think both MMT and Frons are to blame. MMT needs to give us good stories that we like. The storyline of Bianca and Babe was excellent and drove stories into today. But now we are stuck. We have a walking fetus which is just a horrible storyline. Like it has been said before, give us stories without babies.

Frons is looking at the bottom line and is cutting the vets that we love so much. I always loved Dixie, but this storyline is just ludicrious. It doesn't make sense. I would rather not have Dixie than have her involved in this story. They are cutting the vets like Jill, Tonya and James Mitchell to bring on a bunch of newbies and Dixie. Who is next? Julia Barr?

THe atmosphere over there must suck. Someone needs to fix it. Get rid of Frons and MMT and bring in someone who loves daytime and will give us stories that we love.

• Members

Ladies and gents, I'm probably going to delete this thread in about an hour or two. So if you want to save your comments and move it to the News section story (copy and paste), do that. Wanted to give you all time, incase you want to do just that.

Archived