Alright, this really upset me...

KLN

• Members

Islam (Muslims) and Christianity are both Judaic monotheism in origin; i.e. Jews, Christian and Muslims pretty much share what Christians call the Old Testament in their respective holy books, The Torah, The Bible and The Koran. Yahweh or G-d, God and Allah are all the same supreme being. I have no idea what the Koran says specifically about homosexuality, outside of what Christians may find in their Old Testament, but Jesus makes no specific mention of it in the NT. Yet, that didn't stop Christians from behaving just as badly in the Middle Ages. Consider that Islam is the youngest of the three from the same root and you have part of the answer.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry for bumping an old thread but here are photos from during and after the execution for those interested:

http://www.gayegypt.com/march2006.html

From what I've read, homosexuality has always been widespread throughout the Middle East and Central Asia due in part to limited access to women. Persians (Iranians) were tolerant of homosexual relationships and pederasty at one point in history.

• Members

That is a very sobering picture and story. Thank you for posting this as many people don't even know what goes on over there. Back in the early 1970's Iran sent many young men students to the US to go to university here and to learn American culture. These boys were mostly from very wealthy families, whose parents really sent them here to have experiences with women. My husband and I were friendly with many of them as we attended the same college. They used to tell us that it is a custom in Tehran for men to walk the streets holding hands and being physical, although homosexuality was never mentioned at that time. Some of the boys we knew back then stayed in America, married and got good jobs, some were gay and decided America gave them a better chance of living the way they wanted to. Others went back to Tehran because the Shah of Iran demanded they come home. We were sad to find out much later that some of the boys and their families were killed by the Shah's secret police, the Savak, their homes and money stolen. After that the Shah was driven from power.

• Members

Jecca, my dad was one of them! He came here for college in the 70's, but stayed because a) he married my mom and b ) the revolution. Most of my family is still there, and I'm going to be visiting next summer. It's seriously such a kind place to be, people-wise. No one locks there doors, people are walking around at 3 am feeling completely safe, they help eachother. Just the government is majorly fucked up. I'm sickened by these too, believe me.

Archived