Most Underrated Band, Singer, Music Group Ever!

bellcurve

• Members

Who, in your opinion, is the most underrated band, singer, or group in music? EVER?!

Have you ever listened to an album or a song that was SO brilliant, yet none of your friends ever heard it, because the group was never that popular? Do you blast their music so loud in your car or headphones that you wished other people knew how much you love this group.

I've heard alot of folks say LaToya Jackson is underrated...this thread is for ANYONE.

So, without further ado, I pick Simple Minds.

This band, although well known for "Don't You Forget About Me" had so many other beautiful, catchy songs to add to their repitore. "Up On The Catwalk" is probably my most favorite song from this group, because of its catchy beats and interesting lyrics. "Speed Your Love" is another great song from this group.

For anyone who is a fan of alternative or pop music should definitely purchase "Best Of Simple Minds." Definitely underrated and probably, IMO, far superior to U2.

Anyone else have an underrated performer? They can be a one hit wonder, etc.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Aww..man, too many to name! But off the top of my head...

Our Lady Peace - They are huge in Canada and managed to get the rest of the world's attention with their first two albums, Naveed (hit singles "Starseed" and "Naveed") and Clumsy (hit singles "Superman's Dead" and "Clumsy"). However, I think their 4th album, Spiritual Machines is their most underrated yet best album (my favourite song of all time is "In Repair"..pretty rad video as well)..the album is based on a book by Ray Kurzweil called "The Age of Spiritual Machines"..when computer intelligence exceeds human intelligence. I don't think it ever really caught the attention of the U.S. or the rest of the world. :( Their 6th and current studio album, Healthy in Paranoid Times should be doing waay better than Gravity (which included their big hit "Somewhere Out There")...I have no idea why "Angels Losing Sleep" hasn't been more well-received than it is..that song should be getting radioplay EVERYWHERE, IMO. Every friend who I've gotten to listen to that song thinks it's great.

One thing I notice about this band is that none of their albums sound the same. If you're looking for something post-grunge, listen to Naveed. Spiritual Machines kinda reminds me of something that Radiohead would do. Gravity is for anyone looking for radio-friendly rock music while Healthy in Paranoid Times is blatantly political and has a U2 influence. Why these guys always lose out to Nickelback in terms of awards and popularity in and outside of Canada is all a big conspiracy to me. <_<

Limblifter - I saw them open up for Matthew Good a few years ago and thought they were great. I was surprised to find out that they weren't a new band but already had 3 albums out..supposedly, they were a little popular in Canada in the 90s but for the life of me, I don't recall ever hearing of them..they definitely weren't as popular as OLP, Moist, Matthew Good Band, the Tea Party, etc. I never heard their songs on the radio until this new radio station came out in my area that was willing to play songs by bands that weren't mainstream popular. My favourite song by far from these guys is "Ariel vs. Lotus" from their first album Bellaclava.

• Members

One of the most underrated bands is Creedence Clearwater Revival, and here's why:

Although they managed to become popular many years later thanks to classic rock and oldies stations, at the time the they was together, they were overshadowed by other rock bands like The Beatles, and The Rolling Stones. They did a cover of "Heard it Through the Grapevine" which is just as good, if not better than Marvin Gaye and Gladys Knight and the Pips, and they never had the success they truly deserved.

If you're a fan of blues-rock, I reccommend you get CCR's Greatest Hits CD. You'll be rocking all day long.

• Members

I think that India Arie is the most underrated singer ever.

She is a very talented singer and songwriter and I believe that she would have been a lot more succesful if not for her first record being released at the same time as Alicia Keys. Don't get me wrong, I like Alicia Keys too; but the summer that she blew up was the same summer that India Arie was hardly even noticed.

• Members

Excellent Thread bellcurve.

Now that you have mentioned Simple Minds, I think I will get the greatest hits CD. I liked their song She's a River from back in the mid 90's and of course The Breakfast Club song lol

Here's a couple of my choices...

Sinead O'Connor - She has been falsely labeled a "One Hit Wonder" But she is one of the most amazing singer/songwriters in history. She's outspoken and makes no apologies for her opinions.

In music there's there has always been this notion that women must be feminine and sexual but she altered that image. Forget being a sex object, she is a serious musician who is all about the music. Some of the great 90's & 00's artists like Sarah McLachlan, Alanis, Paula Cole, Joan Osbourne, Meredith Brooks, and Jewel owe a little thanks to Sinead for putting up a wall against being marketed as feminine eye candy. Those gals are mature musicians who could give a fig about sounding and looking like Lindsay or Britney.

I guess her actions on SNL led to her downfall, Sort of like The Dixie Chicks statements of President Bush. I think it's sad that an artist cannot express their opinions without there being such controversary. I guess freedom of speech comes with a price tag?

I have all 11 of her CD's and am patiently awaiting her album "Theology" which comes out in the winter. I only wish more people would actually open their ears and soul and listen to the beautiful lyrics and voice of this amazing woman.

Kate Bush - I have only recenlty discovered this woman, Thanks to MarlandRulez in the greatest song thread. WOW! Where have I been? She is magnificant! Wuthering Heights, Running Up That Hill, Army Dreamers, and Get Out Of My House, are masterpieces.

• Members

its great you have been touched by the genius of Kate.

I swear to god, this woman has the most devoted legion of fans out of anyone EVER. I mean she is utterly reverred as a GOD! I'm not even kidding. There is even a day amongst Kate Bush fans called Katemas which is basically Christmas but on the day of her birthday and families who are fans have entire holiday celebrations.

I can't think of anyone more deserving of the adulation and adoration.

• Members

La Toya "Pope of Pop" Jackson

People think I'm kidding and automatically dismiss her, but she has recorded some very good pop albums. If it had the name Janet on it, you all would be loving it!

Her debut featuring production by Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson and even a song written by Janet. Later on she worked with producers SAW (Kylie/Donna Summer) and Full Force (lots of hip hop like Paula Abdul, maybe Janet).

In addition she's been nominated for a Grammy and has done house, country, dance, pop and hip hop albums. She is very versatile, just unlucky when it comes to the hits/personal life.

Another brilliant one is Rufus Wainwright If he wasn't gay, you'd all know his name and he'd be winning 10 Grammys a year. Still he is a major critical success, he just hasn't had that breakout album yet. Without a doubt one of the best singer/songwriters of ALL TIME.

• Members

Golden Earring

A Dutch rockband that have been around since 1965.They had major hits with "Radar Love" and "Twilight Zone" but the major public forgot about them after that wich is a real shame since a lot of other Golden Earring songs are at least as good or even better then just those two.They're approaching thier 60s now but still they're a very energetic band compared to their leadsinger Barry Hay Alex Kapranos from Franz Ferdinand seems like a really old man but Barry Hay rocks with grace so to speak meaning he's not an old men acting like an 18 year old the way Mick Jagger does.George Kooymans (lead guitar,vocals) is simply a genius he writes most of the Earring songs and he has earned himself a lot of respect amongst the press,public and the band itself.He's by far the most populair member of the band I've met him myself and he's very kind and friendly and may I say he looks rather atractive for a man his age.Cesar Zuiderwijk (drums) is musicly speaking the most out-spoken member of the band even though he's in the back with his drumkit he makes sure he has contact with the audience I'm not really a fan of 20 minutes long drumsolo's but his solo's are a joy to watch.Rinus Gerritsen (bass,keyboards) is the "Quiet Earring" but IMO he's one of the best bassplayers in the world.They still make great records and their last studio album (Millbrook U.S.A) is one of the best records I ever heard.They have so many great songs that I can't really recommend one that is special but the one song that really got me hooked was "Quiet Eyes" so maybe I can reccomend that one for starters

• Members

Velvet Underground- I guess they're not now, but when they actually existed they were.

Violent Femmes

Joan Jett

ABBA- okay, everyone's heard of them and they're one of the top-selling bands, but everyone makes fun of their music. I think it's really good though.

The Carpenters- their music is often labelled as "soft" and "lite", but I think Karen Carpenter has one of the most beautiful voices.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have to second this. Golden Earring, one of the best, underrated groups ever. Many of their songs actually make me swoon, which is hard to do at my age. :) Excellent band all around and glad they are still with us. Adding to that, I just watched an old video of T-Rex and got blown away. If lead singer and tremendous guitar God, Marc Bolan, had not been taken from us at such an early age, I believe T-Rex would still be going strong. Great thread.

Archived