ALL: Narcissistic Soap Characters (currently)

• Members

“Narcissists often exhibit traits such as a grandiose sense of self-importance, a need for excessive admiration, a lack of empathy, a tendency to exploit others for their own gain, and a sense of entitlement. They may also be preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love.”

which characters on each soap would you consider to be narcissistic?

I would say:

B&B- Brooke, Ridge, Bill, Eric and Liam

YR- Victor, Jack, Ashley, Audra, Phyllis, Adam and Billy

I don’t watch Gh often but I’ll say Carly & Sonny for sure. 
honorable mentions: Hope(bold), Abby(YR) and Diane

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Carly Roberts, etc. exclusively, fully and without question for the first 5 years of her tenure on the show. She's grown a bit since and exhibits true concern for others but her initial stories were incredibly narcissistic.

Sonny Corinthos basically the entire time he's been on the show. He only cares about people he views as either an extension of himself (like his children) or who fall in line with his temper tantrums. Look at how quickly he iced out Nina, a woman who 6 months ago he declared he'd love for life, when she committed a pretty marginal sin against his preferred loved one Carly.

• Members

Haha I'm sorry, I guess with Steffy it all stems back to how Hypocritical she can be when it comes to Hope and the rest of the Logans. There was a time several years back she seemed to enjoy making fun of Hope for waiting on sex, while insulting her entire family at the same time. Yet she had no problem acting that same way she accuses Brooke of being. 

• Members

I think Thomas is portrayed as narcissistic whenever they write him in villain mode. Now? Not so much. As for Steffy I think when she was younger. Now not really. But she has her moments.

Yeah even though I wouldn’t say she is now. Back then she definitely was

• Members

And we all know Thudley has no regards to the history of his stories, so sadly in his mind we are suppose to pretend those "Bad Steffy" years never happened. In his current agenda,  Steffy = "Heroic Badass" Hope = "Dumb Slut" 

• Members
Posted (edited)

I think culturally we confuse the pathology of narcissism with being self-centered. 

But, if I were to think about characters who put their own needs and desires before anyone else, I would say GH Sonny.  Everyone else in his life has faced the negative consequences of his choices, and he still demands loyalty to him above all else.  He is incapable of empathy for Michael over his failures as a father.

Edited by j swift