BREAKING NEWS: 'The Gates' Will Debut in January 2025

• Members

And daytime can’t afford to depict that sort of mega-wealth anymore anyway. The homes, the assistants, the staff, the companies, the traveling, etc.

A mix would be great. I wouldn’t want the first Black soap in ages to have zero wealthy characters, but maybe millionaires and not billionaires (like the Succession/Billions crew).

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

ITA...for example, on Y&R, almost all the characters are already super rich and successful. There's not the class conflict or the person clawing their way up to provide conflict. Not to mention, it's hard to believe people are billionaires when their home is only about ten feet wide...cough...the Newmans..cough.

• Members
Posted (edited)

The show needs characters that reflect a spectrum of economic diversity or else it will become monotonous relatively quickly. Even if the core family is a wealthy one, wealthy people don’t just interact with solely wealthy people, particularly if their wealth is self-made, they will interact with others in work and other arenas. I am curious to see how this family made and maintain their wealth, I bet they don’t do it on their own. There will be support staff, at home and work, maybe at the hair salon and the barbershop, tailors, stylists, retailers and doctor’s offices, accountants and bankers, restaurants and cafes, hey, even delivery people —these are all opportunities to flesh out characters who aren’t wealthy but might naturally interact with members of a wealthy family. It cannot be just a bunch of wealthy people interacting with each other with no acknowledgement of others across the socioeconomic spectrum. Once we see “how the other half lives”, the story would feel too confining and dull.

But yeah, a show like this needs strivers in the mix. Hey, we all know that within many Black families there can be a mix of economic statuses. Remember Vanessa Williams’ character in Soul Food?

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

And that’s another question: Would people want to see religion and church depicted on this show? Greenleaf was explicitly about the church world and was fascinating for that reason, but soaps haven’t really delved into characters’ spiritual lives in ages. The Black church is such a rich realm for story, but I can understand if it’s deemed polarizing.

• Members

I would be OK with it; however, I can see many that would be turned off by it. Religion is tricky nowadays, and most people aren't as religious as decades ago. So it'll be a hard sale. 

I would want the show to resemble my beloved and recently canceled Riches on Amazon. But I can see that being cliche too as it was about Black people running a hair care empire. 

• Members

And if the show is going to have youthful characters (which it should), I would like to see those youthful characters engaged in youthful activities, rather than on the current daytime television soaps where we see young people engaged in activities best reserved for people in their 40s and 50s.

• Members

I agree—it’s a challenge because I think it would be a touch point for many of the show’s older viewers, who probably overindex as churchgoers, especially in the South, but it would be a turnoff to much of the secular audience, especially if they want to go younger than daytime’s core viewers. There may not be much to be gained from it.

I’m curious if the show will feature a healthy LGBTQ presence (even Greenleaf had gay characters). CBS has dropped the ball with portrayals of non-hetero characters in recent years, even as it’s featured a lesbian wedding (Teriah on Y&R) and a short-lived Black trans female character (Maya on B&B). Tyler certainly hasn’t shied away from it, but he always does the most with those stories. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

Off topic, but what's up with these new pop-up adds that cover the posts and have no delete X in the corner?  They eventually disappear, but only to be immediately replaced by another pop-up.  Makes it impossible to read an entire post.  Plus, the reply button disappears from the bottom of the page, when these pop-ups are active.  Anyone else noticed these?  They don't always appear, but much of the time they do.   Very annoying.  

Edited by Mona Kane Croft

• Members

I think, if anything, they could "pray" around the dinner table. But I genuinely don't see religion being a focal point in an American daytime soap. Because, even when I notice Days of Our Lives trying to re-visit that, it's beyond jarring in today's world.

As for LGBTQ+ representation, I'm hopeful Michele Val Jean will include it ALL!

• Members

The NAACP is very pro-LGBTQ+, so I can’t imagine they’d be an impediment to inclusion. CBS, on the other hand… I’m just curious where their heads are in terms of breaking new ground in daytime when their current shows play it so safe. Obviously, a predominantly Black soap is a big step beyond what they’re doing now, as Y&R and B&B’s Black characters are pathetic. I hope @Errol gets a chance to do an interview…

• Members
Posted (edited)

ICAM!!

IMO, a big problem with today's soaps is that they don't have any characters who are striving for something.  Viewers really respond to characters who strive to better themselves in some way, or who yearn for something (or someone) that is elusive to them.  So, I would hope that TG hands us a nice mix of haves and have nots.

Edited by Khan

• Members

My curiosity is directed elsewhere. If we see a P&G soap committing to gay story you know it's a new dawn, lol. The old school stories about them reacting to social content are legend.

I watched part of the first season of that show and loved the cast, including Merle Dandridge (now probably best known for her role in both the game and show of The Last of Us). I should get back to it.