GH: O’Connor/Van Etten OUT! Mulcahey/Korte IN!

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Nah. Days got even better and better with his final year, 1997, being his best. And his second run was great up until Ken made him do Melaswen.

Recall that Days almost overtook Y&R as #1 soap in 1997 with the big payoff at Susan’s Graceland wedding.

• Members

It depends on what you like to watch.

There are, of course, viewers who enjoy the sort of material that Reilly was responsible for, but I am one of the veteran viewers who preferred the mature, sophisticated and adult writing of Bill Bell and Pat Falken Smith. I found Reilly's camp writing to be embarrassing and painful.

To each his own, as they say.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

This was in connection to how he was written out. But he did say, at the time of his announced return, he did not have a return-to-set date. So, it makes me wonder if he was due back in January, but because of the regime-swap, it was pushed back? Again, purely speculation based on factual timelines we're aware of.

• Members

There were like eight other soaps with the kind of storytelling you prefer. It was okay for Days to be different.

My favourite soap is Passions. It was for young people. 

• Members

Thanks @Vee and @Liberty City
To be honest, I didn't know how Jason had been written out when Burton exited GH the last time.
Okay so his statement "that's all I know" probably meant that he knew only what his final exit scene had been.   He said that on Jan. 10, and maybe he hadn't seen the new scripts yet and really didn't know yet how his return was being written.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

As previously noted, it all depends on what you enjoy and prefer to watch. To each his own. Passions was created to be exactly what it was, and that's fine. There's an audience out there for everything, and all viewers should be served. On the other hand, Days was created to be, and found its highest ratings and biggest success as, an erudite, literate, adult soap with quality writing. When Masterpiece Theatre is suddenly morphed into Ren & Stimpy Meet the Great Gazoo, some folks will love it and others will loathe it. Strong and varying differences of opinion are not new among TV fans.

• Members

Days was certainly not Masterpiece Theatre in the 60s, 70s, or 80s. That’s giving soaps too much credit!

Personally, I find only a truly unhappy person could not enjoy Buried Alive, The Possession, Carrie/Austin/Sami, Billie/Bo/Gina, Kristen/John/Marlena/Susan, and the Salem Stalker.

• Members

I'm happy to agree to disagree. You no doubt do not like my list of favorite writers & I most assuredly do not care for yours.

I do not think you can make judgments about how happy a person based on JERk's "best" stories. Although I will forever love Kristen & the Banks sibs.