R.I.P.: David Gail, 1965-2024 (Joe, Port Charles; Dean, Savannah; Stuart, BH90210)

• te. changed the title to RIP David Gail, 1965-2024 (Joe, Port Charles; Dean, Savannah; Stuart, BH90210)
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Errol changed the title to R.I.P.: David Gail, 1965-2024 (Joe, Port Charles; Dean, Savannah; Stuart, BH90210)
  • Webmaster

R.I.P. David Gail – ‘Beverly Hills, 90210’, ‘Savannah’ And ‘Port Charles’ Actor Dies At 58

Best known for his portrayal of Dr. Joe Scanlon on “Port Charles,” Dean Collins on The WB’s “Savannah” and Stuart Carson on “Beverly Hills, 90210,” actor David Gail has died. He was just 58 years old. No cause of death was reported at press time.

• Members

I always felt like his arc on 90210 got cut a bit short - I wonder if that had to do with the whole backstage drama with Doherty (them setting her up to potentially leave) or if it was just that Aaron wanted him for Robin's Hood? He must've liked the guy since he cast him in The Round Table, 90210, Robin's Hoods and Savannah. Surprised he didn't end up showing up on Charmed or 7th Heaven.

• Members

Wow, RIP indeed. I first remember Gail on a little watched NBC soap that I watched called The Round Table  before seeing him again on 90210 and Savannah where I enjoyed him the most. Savannah was a show that ended way too soon.

I have wondered about the Stuart arc before. I have thought that maybe the writers didn't quite know what to do with Stuart. Going from my memory: first he's a great guy, then he's kinda lazy/spoiled, next Dylan is warning Brenda about his past and finally he flips out on Brenda and he's gone. Of course Brenda was then gone not long afterwards, so perhaps the backstage drama played a factor.

• Members

I always felt like the Stuart arc was meant to bring Brenda and Dylan back together; by all accounts David Gail was told by Aaron that Stuart was going to turn out to be a "bad guy", then you had Dylan's warning, then he disappears for two or so episodes before turning up again and acting like a spoilt little b-word during a road trip, then boom gone. Apparently things were going much better behind the scenes at the start of the season (I think they've mentioned in the podcast that while filming 4x03 The Little Fish (Brenda's return episode from Minnesota) the drama from the previous season just seemed to have cooled down considerably before starting up again).

So yeah, I suspect he was meant to stay on longer initially, plus I guess Aaron Spelling would've shot the pilot to Robin's Hoods around the time he left.

Edited by te.

• Members

I mostly remember him from Port Charles when the show decided to give Joe more of an edge (even though Frank already filled that role). I was not watching very often by that point, but Gail was very handsome and charismatic, even if I still preferred the nice guy version of Joe. I remember him also being written out of Port Charles somewhat abruptly, leading to another recast (who was, IIRC, Latino, which led to some interesting contrasts with Frank and Mary). 

Sad to be losing so many soap actors lately who aren't that old. We hear a lot about how much life expectancy has cratered in America in the last few years, but it seems like we're truly feeling it now.

Edited by DRW50