GH: January 2024 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I liked Felix for quite awhile. I think at times Ron wrote him with sensitivity, though I think he did much better with Kyle and Oliver on OLTL. Then Felix became both too saintly and/or too much of an overbearing cliche - all Ron seemed able to write for the gay characters was 'funny' predatory material or them sublimating sex with Golden Girls reruns or something equally embarrassing and juvenile. That weird mix of stereotypical gay pop culture touchstones or tacky sexual mishaps became their whole range of personality or action.

Obviously Ron has overcorrected for this at DAYS, by finally getting to write a villainous, hypersexual character (something I'm all for, in theory) - Leo - but unfortunately that's been paired with his compulsive desire to make all of his edgy villain or antihero characters into the 'real' underdog heroes of a show. Case in point: His clear intent to quasi-redeem Leo and pair him up with Sonny had Zach Tinker not split, and his undying love for Gwen even after she admitted to killing Laura Horton/letting her die. Unlike the wildly divergent material he wrote for the GH gays he's finally getting to display some of his id onscreen, but he still can't write any nuance for it.

I still think Jake should be the bisexual one, because Hudson West is a damn good actor. But I digress.

• Members

I never trusted him after he had a gay character on OLTL fake a hate crime to keep a man, but seeing Felix try to force Michael to have sex with him was a whole new level of disgust, no matter how funny Carlivati thought it was meant to be. And of course he has continued to push that garbage all over DAYS, even at a time of resurgent homophobia. He's so fun and daring...he's not like the other gays.

I don't think it helped that Felix was BFF with Sabrina, who was so disliked by a number of fans.

Felix doesn't seem that bad now, but they are clearly never going to do anything with him. I saw some fans upset he didn't interact more with Lucas, but I'm not sure what the point would be.

I think if they ever had a child of Jason's as queer, there would be meltdowns.

• Members

I think the Nick plot point on OLTL was unfortunate, but they didn't totally ruin the character over it; he was supposed to continue had they not purged all the gays. I thought it was Brad that tried to force Michael to have sex with him (which made it that much worse when they realized fans liked Shen and trid to sweep it all under the rug with that character). This is something Ron has returned to again and again at DAYS with gay guys and str8 men, you're right, including his love for the endless tease re: Ben and Will in jail and flirting heavily with putting Leo with men he'd already violated or tried to take advantage of.

I do think Sabrina and Felix were fairly well-liked early on with their adoration for Lucy, the hospital legacy, etc. up until the actual return of the Nurses Ball, when Sabrina got the Pretty Princess makeover which went over like a lead balloon with the audience. Once Sabrina got everything she wanted (a new look, Patrick) she almost immediately became intolerable to the larger viewer base, Jason Thompson looked like he was on suicide watch and Felix became even more obnoxious than his queen bee. His helpless, aggrieved pouting over Robin's return from the dead ruining his bestie's day will never be forgotten by me. And it was reflected by how Ron treated Robin from then on IMO, even though he clearly enjoyed writing the big reunion.

Fine by me! Steve can quit again if he wants!

Edited by Vee

• Members

warning re: tomorrow Jan. 15 with Leo on Days. (I know this is the GH thread but ...) an attempt to make Leo tolerable that is just not.
And it's not even Ron writing because the strike episodes are still airing (nonunion writing) on Days.  
/ end off-topic.

Back to GH.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

I hear Peter Porte is available

Please register in order to view this content

They just need to invest more in Lucas, which they haven’t done in years and which is probably one of the reasons why Ryan Carnes left in the first place. 

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

It's of my belief if Lucas were to come on full-time I doubt Ryan Carnes would be in the role. I'd love for Carnes to stick around (despite his views), but I just don't see it in the cards.  And while controversial, I liked M att Trudeau in the role during the limited time he appeared. And I'd welcome Ben Hogestyn back into the role (though I doubt that would happen).

I suspected they had moved from Aidan to Jake in terms of the sexuality storyline, but I am happy to be wrong.

I, unlike some, do not hate Peter Porte, and wouldn't object to him joining.

And from what I gather, Carnes had some big feelings, re: COVID, etc. which is likely why he did not return in 2020.

• Members

Better than him being wasted on Days. And I imagine that he and Ryan Carnes would have amazing chemistry as well. 

And I did like Matt Trudeau as well. I just felt like there was no investment in the character, especially after the Wiley stuff ended

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

I hope the show finds a way to keep Adam Huss on. His scenes with Spencer were the best part of today. He definitely wants the job.

And btw, isn’t Laura, the Mayor, getting herself in serious trouble for playing a role in Esme’s case?

And as for Joss, 

Please register in order to view this content