• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Webmaster

What gets me is ABC saying "enough is enough." First, they wanted Franco dead, so Frank decided to keep Roger by giving him another new character. Now the network says, "kill that character, too. Oh, and we're not going to offer any more contracts to him," referencing Roger.

• Members

I'm wondering why they stepped in now if they let him bring him back after Franco. Under normal soap terms Austin was clearly walking dead most of this year for the reasons I stated - controversial actor, role that hasn't caught on, story that has the character compromised. But nothing about Howarth's run on GH has been normal, so I assumed despite all the major flags that he was on thin ice that FV would keep him going no matter what. Even now I have a hard time believing he won't keep Easton, and Finn has arguably been as irrelevant as Austin for a bit longer.

I think they may cut him soon. Finn has been irrelevant for quite some time and has spent most of the last year-plus pining for Elizabeth in the background. It's reminded me of the waning days of Silas Clay, when he was quickly decoupled from Sam and just wandered the canvas mooning over Ava/Denise for awhile.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Well, what's being said, not from a network POV but from a studio POV is all about RH phoning it in, all the time, for some time now & people's ... er ... negative reactions to that. People who have the work ethic perspective that one always gives 100% no matter what. 

Me, my theory, is that he wasn't happy with his writing. But then, maybe I'm just trying to make excuses for him. 

• Members

If Frank wanted Roger out for 'phoning it in' he would've done it years ago. And I watched Roger Howarth phone it in in real time back in the day, I know what that looks like. Frank has re-hired Roger over and over despite endless fan outcry. He has never gotten over losing him in 2003.

In fairness I think RH has actually done his level best to make these terrible characters work. His exit interview (and a recent candid podcast interview about the gang rape story at OLTL, from a couple years back) indicates he's a much more mellow, sweet guy over the last 10-20 years and is just happy to not be playing a gang rapist anymore. He'll come in and play what they give him provided he's not dealing with that - and when he was playing Todd again on OLTL and GH in the 2010s, he did give that his all too. But he has a specific skill set, very specific old quirks and limitations, and these characters also just plain suck. It should've never gone on this long; he should've been gone with Todd. But I don't think he didn't try.

Edited by Vee

• Webmaster

That's why I hate soap hopping. You'll never be as successful as your noteworthy character. 

Sarah Brown is one of my all-time favorite actors and she's never been able to recapture the magic of OG Carly. Not with Claudia, not with what's her name on As The World Turns, what's her name on The Bold and the Beautiful, or what's her name on Days of our Lives. Heck, I still don't know what's her name on Studio City. Her Carly was just that impressive!