Potential SAG-AFTRA Strike & Daytime Soaps

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Webmaster

What I forgot, and got reminded by in the Deadline article, is that soaps are literally the ONLY productions still running with no hope of shutting down. So why aren't networks producing more of them? If they could care less about a strike impacting their productions, why not go out and produce more of them? They are WAY cheaper to produce than a lot of TV content and don't take as long to edit like reality TV does, particularly with the insertion of those personality comments needed for each high point in a reality storyline.

Just a thought.

• Webmaster

And these days, only the parent series are doing well. Their spinoffs, not so much. GMA3 is barely doing numbers higher than it did two years ago and the TODAY sequels have just faltered. Then again, the parent shows have long since missed their heyday numbers.

• Members

Since I have been out of the television writing pipeline loop for several years now, I have a question and it’s a genuine question, not meant to be sarcastic: do writers, particularly those fresh from pre-professional programs really want to write for a daytime soap these days?

One of the comments said something like ‘hire new writers’ but I wonder, where would they get them from? I am not sure if anyone who really cares about their ability to work for other genres would want to write for a daytime soap where they’d have to resort to Fi-Core, it is a status that marks you for the rest of your career. If writing for a soap is your only ambition, it won’t matter but it seems like a career stranglehold if you want to eventually write for other genres of television. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Saw pix. ED was with Sara Bibel proudly holding a SAGAFTRA sign. 

New today about IF they go on strike Wed. Frankly it's common sense. They can't act & they can't promote acting projects. 

But, no, it does not apply to soap actors. 

https://www.thewrap.com/sag-aftra-strike-rules-publicists/?fbclid=IwAR3yg3ywbHQ6XIMfAL0AXZTMVr47sAQlbTj-9Ju9u0a-A_9-rqdDdGkiiA4

And, in other news there is a pic elsewhere of Fran Drescher in Italy with a Kardashian. Why the heck is she not at the negotiating table?