General Hospital: May 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It could have maybe worked if they recast Emily or if NL just played an entirely different character to begin with.  I do think NL/MB had a little bit of chemistry.  MB has certainly had less with love interests.  The ick factor just outweighed any goodwill you might have towards them. 

• Members

I don't think any recasting or writing could have surmounted the fact that Emily was barely out of high school and Sonny was in his 40s. It was icky on a fundamental level. Not to mention Sonny's already gross past with teenage girls.

• Members

I think Emily was supposed to be either college-aged or just out of college by the time they got together. (She was in med school around that time.) But it would never have worked period, lol. Most of their audience remembered Amber's teen Emily idolizing Jason and Sonny.

• Members

It is icky and I am not defending it.  Sonny knew her as a child.  It can't not be weird, but Emily had already been married twice by the time she hooked up with Sonny.  I don't know how old she was supposed to be, but I think older than 25 as well.  She was in med school although I don't think she went from high school to college to med school back to back due to her accident and then cancer.  I assume she was a bit older than a normal med student.  I swear I am not trying to defend this, but I think Liz/Lucky/Emily/Nik were just older than that. 

• Members

On paper, I think Sonny/Emily was kind of an interesting idea. Jason had turned a blind eye to Sonny's selfishness and monstrous behavior for years, only to see this eventually point Sonny in the direction of his sister, one of the very few people Jason cared about. Sonny also had a history of exploiting younger women and abuse victims through his seedy club days, even if he was not intentionally exploiting Emily's vulnerability.

(if you're asking what about Emily's integrity as a character, I'd say she never really had any in the first place) 

The show just wasn't willing to be that honest about what a predator and emotional parasite Sonny is and to do any real work on breaking down the Sonny/Jason relationship, which by that point was well past any point of interest anyway. 

(I remember some fans used to say Jason and Sonny were the characters truly in love, for years...I never saw it, and I'm someone who enjoys watching homoerotic male "friendships" that get away from the people who make them)

Edited by DRW50