What does using history mean to you?

• Members

Hello! 

You would think Drucilla Winters never exists on this show, as someone pointed out on Twitter that it was Dru who raised Lily. Not to mention that it was Dru who initially fought for them to take Devon into their home. But you'll think Neil was just a widower who did all the raising and caring for them.

I was surprised on yesterday's episode that Daniel asked Lily about Dru's death to her; my mouth gaped open in shock. And then they had Lily mention it was different because a body was never found. For years they hardly mentioned the circumstances of her supposed death, so I don't know if that's a hint for something upcoming or if whoever wrote it wanted to give the Winters a bone.

On the same subject on General Hospital, with Lucy being supposedly dead, it isn't clear if Scotty knows the truth, not to mention I wish they would have Lucy at least mention Serena and Christina. Okay, if Christina somehow doesn't exist anymore, which I hate, at least they could've had Anna tell Lucy to think of the possible danger you're getting Serena into if you keep leaving the safe house. Or you'll think Lucy would think about how heartbroken Serena would be if she thinks she died.

Edited by Forever8

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That’s great that they mentioned Dru, and hopefully VR’s presence at both the KSJ tribute and the 50th celebration means fences have been mended (perhaps opening a door to something bigger—I dare not hope for a return). EDIT: there’s a huge elephant in the room, of course, in mentioning Dru’s death in relation to Phyllis. I’m guessing they didn’t touch on that.

But it’s just so weird that they’ve been giving us these little references here and there. And, you’re right, for more recent viewers, it could be easy to think that Neil raised both of them alone. Their feelings of loss have been compounded by losing BOTH parents. Y&R did them a disservice by letting off-screen events get in the way of telling proper stories.

Totally. Even Hillary befriending Phyllis could have been an opportunity to spark some buried animosity between Lily and Phyllis.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

a lot of that has to do with having the same actors in the role. much harder when there are new actors, who don’t always know their characters’ history, along with new writers who tend not to care.

so while the writers may have only rarely referenced the long-standing animosity between kim and susan stewart, kathryn hays and marie masters always made sure it was there, even there was nothing explicit in the dialogue. 

• Members

I find it even more important to honour history when a recast comes in. When Alec Musser came in as Del on AMC, they treated him basically as a new character. Del was engaged and lived with Kendall offscreen for years. That was a faint and passing mention. There could have been so many emotions and baggage to unpack with that. We never really knew how and why they broke up. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I would have to agree that the actors play a major part in this for me. Just seeing two long-time characters share a scene together knowing all of what they have been through does touches me. I love it when history is only occasionally touched on, and used for story beats I.E., Secret Reveals! I always felt Bill Bell was smart for leaving things left in the air.

Edited by DemetriKane

• Members

I think Ashley’s paternity was wonderfully played by Bell.  Even if his intent was that it never should be revealed, especially to John, we know and Ashley knows, and it informs her character’s vulnerability. It didn’t need to be revealed to accomplish the greater characterization that it lead to. It wasn’t done just to create a secret to be revealed.

Edited by titan1978