Y&R Fires Entire Breakdown Writing Staff

• Members

Right, I can't imagine an outline would have "cut-to", "TC", or "one-way" in a scene description -- those are terms advising how the cameras will capture the action -- and wouldn't include any dialogue other than some specific passage the writer is insisting on including in the script.     

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I Wish I could Transfigure Myself into A Ghost and Visit Josh And Say: "Don't BE A FOOL!!!!! YOU CANNOT DO IT ALONE!!!! NOT EVEN A GENIUS COULD!!!" 

BTW I wish I could suggest A Storyline and that it could be Layed Down From Way back and I wish it could be quite amazing:

CHRIS BROOKS AND SNAPPER FOSTER'S 50TH ANNIVERSARY!!! IT COULD BE SIMPLY AMAZING!!! And the Possibilities are numerous!

• Members

lol.  That's great!  I watched that episode a while back.  Jack Smith was the dialogue writer.  The way he handled Ridge's "arousal" -- which was stressed so much in the outline -- is he had the models (2 of them) preen and pose in their cruise wear, right in front of Ridge, taking off their sarongs & tossing them toward Ridge while he batted his eyes and grinned.  Vivian, meanwhile, recited a planned press release for the cruise wear, referring to the swimsuits as "hot, smoldering, revealing every alluring curve".  Then Caroline entered the office and reminded Ridge she wouldn't be sleeping with him before the wedding, but "good things come to those who wait."   

• Members

That B&B outline is what I would expect and I don't see how a headwriter couldn't take that on.

Sure it might be more work but headwriters are paid a lot and it is 37 mins a day of actual content.

Hopefully some of the savings might go toward better production.

But Josh Griffith remains the problem

Tuning in randomly to a Y&R episode you might catch some well acted scenes with good dialogue and interesting content.

But stepping back and looking at the bigger picture, the storylines driving those scenes are illogical, anti climactic and not at all compelling.

So it all goes back to Josh.

• Members

I was watching the B&B scenes with Thomas, Steffy, and Finn the other day. They kept repeating the same dialogue over and over, barely rephrasing it and offering very little plot development or character progression between the segments. Maybe the ghost of Agnes Nixon needs to come and kick Bradley Bell’s ass.

• Members

Wouldn't that be ironic, if he is seriously trying to make it the easiest show to watch & ends up creating the reverse effect? Only 18  minutes out of your day, but sheer torture! Same storylines told over & over, repetitive dialog used daily, you'd think with all the kids who can listen to Baby Sharks endlessly & the teenage girls who went to see TITANIC 20-30 times, that it would work!  I watched one episode last week & found it harmless. 

• Members

How about watching instead of "based on what I read" no people aren't wrong, but I hate stuff like "based on what I read" 

Everyone has different thoughts on stuff like this. Just like you might read "this storyline SUCKED" when it actually might have been great and might have loved it, but missed out cause people go by "what they read"

• Members

How about not auto-assuming what I meant with my saying "based on what I read," as if I haven't ever watched or caught clips here and there.

When I say "based on what I read," I mean episode recaps. Never, in soaps and other media, have I let the opinions of others impact what I do or do not watch. I made the decision to stop watching The Bold and the Beautiful when COVID hit in 2020 ⏤ and I usually put it on hiatus as I find it tedious to watch ⏤ and have seen clips here and there, and I still stand by my opinion of the soap as a whole. My frustration with the soap runs deep and will continue to run deep. And I get it, you're a fan of this soap and a die-hard fan of a certain couple on that soap, so I won't go into details of how I feel of them, but just know: someone saying something "sucks" would not mean I wouldn't watch, especially when they wouldn't know my likes/dislikes.

Edited by Liberty City